Very new to Hubitat. As in, VERY new. Questions about dashboards

If 11 is default, would 1 (the smallest possible value) be OK? Do I need those histories? I have not added the device yet, since the device in my new house and HE is not yet there, so I don't see anything yet ,but would 1 be OK or does it need to be larger than 1?

11 is not the hub default value for those settings. I would set them at 11 and leave well enough alone. No need to set them to 1. The events will accumulate and the hub's automated purge will eventually bring them back down to 11 periodically, which helps to keep the database size much more manageable.

2 Likes

Ah I see. Thanks.

Indeed. I think 50 events and states is the default now.
Seeing we use about 14 states for the device, this would mean that 14x50= 700 states, and one event every X minutes. Allot of data that you do not realy need.

nb, seeing you have the module, you must be Dutch or Begian.
If you need help, PM me, as my native language is Dutch.

2 Likes

I am Dutch indeed. :slight_smile: I will, if I run into problems as soon as the HE is in my new house :slight_smile: Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

1 Like

I'm not sure if someone has mentioned this already, but for your phone, consider using the Hubitat Dashboard App. It's an amazing app.

OK, so, HE is in the new house. It is connected, it is up & running in the location in the house where I wanted it originally. I have tested the Xiaomi Aqara door/window sensors, and they work, without wallplugs that broadcast the zigbee mesh. They work really well, both downstairs and upstairs.

I have also added the first Fibaro wallplug. This is also connected to HE. Now the question. What are the settings for that plug? What I mean by that you can set...settings. (no ā– ā– ā– ā–  sherlock) I have set the euhhh...logging stuff to 11, because that was mentioned earlier.

But what do I set the rest to? Damned, obviously I'm not at the new house at the moment so I can not make screenshots. I set everything to default...I believe. You can set settings for reporting on changes in power consumption and the frequency with which it should log something. I let everything on default setting, but, what SHOULD I set them to?

I know, this question would be way easier if I had screenshots, but I don't have those at the moment.

2nd question. When I added the wall plug, I can set it to 'wallplug', which means I can turn it on or off, or I can set it to power meter (since the plug also has power metering). If I do that last one, I see the power consumption, but I can no longer turn it off or on (not as quickly anyway).

Isn't there some way that I can see both the power consumption and the on/off button simultaneously?

That's up to you and whatever you need to make the device usable for your purposes. :slight_smile: If you're only using it for on/off, I'd recommend just disabling power metering--it's extra traffic on your Z-Wave network (and on the hub) that you don't need. Might as well not make things harder for it than they need to be. If you are using it for some purpose (e.g., an automation that turns something else on/off when or notifies you when the power goes above/below a certain value, for example), then I'd set them to be the least "chatty" you can make them while still serving your needs. The defaults probably aren't a bad place to start, though you might want to consider enabling either the periodic/time-based or percent/change-based reports for a particular report rather than both.

I assume you're back to talking about the Dashboard now; in that case, no, the template you use determines what you can see, and I'm not aware of any that allows both on/off control and a view of any power or energy attribute on the same tile. You can use the same device on two separate tiles (and some people use tricks like making all their tiles double height and some, perhaps these, "regular" height to give the illusion of both being half-height, just to name one other option). However, in apps/automations, the device will work the same regardless of what you do on Dashboard (which is really just yet another app), in case that is your concern.

And you don't even "need" it for that. You can do the Dane thing with openvpn Pretty easily if your router supports vpns.

However thst I spotty at best. Not a good idea to depend on this feature.

What would be the best app for HE for 'presence' based on WIFI. Geofencing works good, but the radius is not small enough, which means that I can be at in another street in the same neighbourhood and it will stay say that I'm home, even though I'm 2 streets away visiting a friend.

Some notifications I only want to get when I am not at home, so being 2 streets away is 'not home' even though geofencing still sees me at home. :slight_smile:

So, new question;

I have a Fibaro wall plug connected to a fridge. There was a power outage a day ago, and where in my old home/old controller, I could set the plug to go to the state it was before, I can not seem to find that option in Hubitat.

So, fridge was on, because plug was on. Power outage, everything went off. Power came back, but plug remained off. I had to manually set it to On again (so really on the plug itself) to turn it back on.

Just in time. On my previous controller I could set it to be always on, and if turned off, turn on right away again. So basically, you could not turn it off. This was managed through the settings of variables on the actual plug itself.

Is that also supported by Hubitat?

Looks like Hubitat's built-in driver does not expose that parameter. However, assuming your device does indeed support it--and this manual I casually Googled suggests it might (and your previous experience would indicate it does)--then it is still possible to manually set it.

What I would do is install Hubitat's Basic Z-Wave Tool driver (add the raw code to "Drivers Code" in the admin UI--in case you've never done this before), then use that to set the parameter as specified in the manual. If yours matches the one I found above, that would be setting parameter number 1 with a size of 1 to a value of 1 (so fill in "1", no quotes, for all values in the Set Parameter command box, then click that button to send the command). Then, switch back to the "Fibaro Wall Plug" driver or whatever you were using before.

2 Likes

Haven't checked this yet @bertabcd1234 because something suddenly did not work anymore, so I decided to start fresh. So, now I have a question. When I get home, I want to set a mode. However, the modes I can select are:

Away
Day
Evening
Night

But those are specifc moments of the day. I just want 'Home' as a Mode. Can I add this mode, and if so, where can I do this?

In the past I've done modes this way:
home-morning
home-day
home-evening
away-morning
away-day
away-evening
But it was kind of kludgy...

Another thought would be using a global variable to track your "time" period modes or "home/away" and use that for tests.. you have to set them of course.

1 Like

Settings > Location and Modes

2 Likes

DAY, EVENING, and NIGHT modes are all designed to imply that someone is at home. While AWAY, is typically indicative that no one is home.

1 Like

Yep but sometimes it's desirable to have away-morning and others.. would be nice to incorporate that into a mode "object".. home/away, morning/day/evening, guests/no guests - stuff like that..

2 Likes

Just a reminder that Modes contains a word. Can be anything. Spring, Summer, Autumn (Fall) or Winter if that appeals. They can even stand for the same thing... as in its "Spring" in the morning, Summer all afternoon, Fall in the Evening and Winter all night. Just words to symbolize something. Mode Manager is an App that uses Time and day of week, etc. to set/adjust the word. But if you're using Mode to symbolize something else, then you'd write your own Rules or an App to change the word to match. :slight_smile:

I think it's important to understand it is just a word that means nothing does nothing, til we tie it to something. I don't use Mode. Never have BUT, I have Mode Manager setup AND HubConnect is configured to distribute Mode. I even display it on a couple of Dashboards. But nothing USES it. It's purely decorative in my system. (Although the reason I did this was to be aware of how it works so I could better contribute here in the Community.)

4 Likes

Yes.. although it is used in conjunction with HSM and other system apps so the text does have some inherent meaning at least in terms of additional system functionality.

But to your point, nothing really special about a set of text strings..

I am using a Mode object I created in Node-RED. It consolidates/simplifies certain aspects that I use for my automated lighting routines etc.

2 Likes