Vertical Stand for HE

The mounts are very nice, but I have to agree that the thing weighs almost nothing, so the command strips or velcro would do just fine.

But for anyone looking for a commercially available product, these are inexpensive. At least for you guys in the US.

Test print of the vertical stand came out fine (picture below). Holds well, tough to tip over. Although the C5 can slide in it a bit lengthwise. So I added some endstops as an optional parameter in the OpenSCAD file I am creating but otherwise no changes for that one. The wall mount is printing now. If it goes well I may actually get these posted to Thingiverse tonight.

Desk%20Mount%20Cropped%20Small

6 Likes

Magnetic dots are nice too !

And after years of usage with different electronic devices (tablets, gps, media streamers, etc), I never see a problem with them, even some people claim that magnetic fields will damage things. For me, it's kind of a myth.
My phone holder on my car is also magnetic

baseus

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Dots-Adhesive-Flexible-Alternative/dp/B07H3YTN9S

1 Like

Test print for the wall mount model came out well. I made a minor tweak to it regarding the height of the retaining clips but otherwise it is complete. Here is a link to Thingiverse so people can make their own.

2 Likes

Looks great and exactly what I’ve been looking for!

@snell any chance you will sell them? Thanks

Free for anyone to download and print. If you mean getting a print made for you... Had not thought about it. I guess I can work out the break-even cost tonight. So it would be that plus shipping of course.

I understand Not a problem. Just let me know. Thanks

@SmartHomePrimer and you can get them expertly mounted too.

2 Likes

:grinning: $100 to peal and stick. Makes sense.

2 Likes

If I had seen this when I first got my hub I would have used it. I built a tiny shelf in the ceiling of the basement stairwell for mine, Not easy to get the hub in and out. This looks super easy to attach. I still may. Thanks. I will probably do the install myself. :wink:

2 Likes

@snell I don't have a 3D printer, so take this for what it's worth... With the vertical stand, seems like the stand has a lot of wasted plastic in the center. No need for a solid panel.I dunno what properties of plastic can be used, but if you can use springy plastic, then you could do it as a U shape, with the front being open. If the front supports were a little too close together, the HE could be squeezed to prevent a heavy cord from tipping it backwards. Alternatively, rather than a U, you could maybe lose the triangle supports on the front tabs, and have them angled in a little.

Hope I can get my kid to get his friend to use the printer at the school :laughing:

1 Like

You are correct, the base would be a bit much if solid. Most 3D print jobs are set to only print the shell of the object with a thin honeycomb (or similar) structure in the otherwise hollow core. So the base I printed is mostly air (I think it was 20% fill). I may update the file with more styles/options, but figured it was better to make it useful at first.

Plus, I included the SCAD file rather than just a finished STL file so anyone can modify it if they want (with attribution). :grinning:

The material is PLA, which has some flex but not much. There are other materials but most people will print with PLA or ABS.

I will have a new file posted tonight. I thinned the base per @Roguetech's recommendation by making the center only as thick as the Hubitat. I also altered the version with endstops. Now they are more cleanly integrated into the retainers so they do not look like an "add on" anymore.

2 Likes

Nice, I'll hold off getting one printed until you publish your new one. I'm glad I asked for this … seems like I'm not the only one looking for this solution. Now if I could find something similar for my Blink Hubs. :slight_smile:

@Tim-in-Ca TBH, I was perfectly happy until you asked for it :rofl:

2 Likes

I have Blink cameras also. I will see how closely they fit in the Hubitat stand and maybe make a file for that. Too bad it is not a good idea to make a multi-hub-holder. :smile:

1 Like

I have my Blink bubs standing on end with the top facing forwards so I can see the LED status at a glance if necessary, but they are also very light and teetery with the power cable coming from the top in this orientation. I'd sacrifice putting them in a stand sideways to increase stability. Each time I mess around inside my network closet, they invariably topple over.

Updated Hubitat mounts have been posted to Thingiverse. Looking into the Blink hub now... unfortunately it is substantially thicker than I thought. More redesign needed... but should be doable.

1 Like

@snell Thanks!