Vertical Blind Automation for Patio Door - Zemismart Zigbee curtain rail and Soma Tilt 2

I was finally able to finish the last automated window treatment in my home. This one was a bit trickier than the rest of the house. First thing I needed to do was have an electrician add outlet on the right hand side of my patio door. I was then able to combine a Zemismart Zigbee curtain rail , to move the blinds left and right. And a Soma Tilt 2, to rotate the blinds open and closed.
A raspberry Pi zero W ,running the Soma Connect software, is used to control the Soma Tilt device.
I was able to add in the commands needed for the Soma Tilt device to a Zemismart Zigbee Shade Driver. I have checks in place to make sure the Soma device receives the message to rotate and also a slight delay to make sure the blinds start turning before the rail starts to slide open. Also the blinds rotate to "0" at a different range depending on how far open "left to right" the blinds are. This prevents them from over tightening and throwing off the calibration. Each time the blinds change level/position the blinds rotate to 100% and when they stop they rotate to "0" depending on the open level/position.

Video

Zigbee, Bluetooth, and Wifi all working in harmony :slight_smile:

Here's a link to the driver code if anyone wants to check it out...

5 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing this.

I am about to move to a new home with vertical blinds on 10 of the windows.

I have been trying to work out how to tilt the blinds from open to closed, I now have a way!

I don’t think I need to actually pull the blinds all the way back just tilt.

I like the idea of being able to track how bright it is outside and inside each room an tweak the blinds throughout the day to maximise sun coming in or tilt against the sun to allow light in but not direct sun in the summer.

Looking forward to this project thanks for all you have done

1 Like

Here is a link to the Soma Tilt 2 driver I put together if you end up using those motors.

Are the 10 vertical blinds all fairly close together? The Soma motors respond very quickly when the Soma connect device is pretty close by.

Three are on the ground floor, in the lounge, the others are all in the bedrooms/landing.

I’ll have to wait until we actually close the purchase to find out whether the tilt is a rod or a chain action.

Once we are in, and I have home automation back and running I’ll figure these out.