Vera to Hubitat. Very happy

Another soon to be Vera refugee here. I am very interested to see how the hubitat works. I am testing Home Assistant currently and it's a lot. I am curious if anyone can tell me how Hubitat works with multiple instances. 2 homes each with their own Hubitat hub, can I have one sign on and toggle between them?

Thanks!

1 Like

Feature is Hub Mesh.
You can expose devices between hubs an control from either.

Maybe you mean can you switch the UI between hubs without logout/login.?
Answer is yes

1 Like

Do the two hubs need to be on the same network? Sounds like you could treat it like one house from your description?

Didn’t mean to mislead you.
When two or more Hubitat Elevation hubs run on the same local network, you can easily share and use devices in automations among multiple hubs with Hub Mesh.

Ah yes that makes sense like if you need extended range or an out building. In this case my two instances will be 1400 miles apart. Looks like maybe Hub Connect?

Once you have purchased remote administration,login once and:

1 Like

With the MakerApi app, you can create remote commands that you can send across the outside network.

Send Device Command (replace [Device ID] with actual subscribed device id and [Command] with a supported command. Supports optional [Secondary value])

https://cloud.hubitat.com/api/cbxxxx23a/apps/21/devices/[Device ID]/[Command]/[Secondary value]?access_token=efda2xxxxx

Tokens unique to your platform.

There may be easier ways to do what you want, but I don’t have the split environment.
Others can likely be more helpful.

Hub Mesh and HubConnect have similar goals.. to turn multiple hubs more able to function as one. They do it by "mirroring" devices from one hub to the other. Hub Mesh must be on a single network, Hub Connect can work across disparate networks.

However, it's not clear that you actually want/need to merge two hubs. They can function entirely independently yet allow you to switch from one to the other as needed. I think you need to better describe your goals and then we can make better stabs-in-the-dark advice. :smiley:

Hi @csteele thanks for jumping in. I will have 2 houses each with a Hubitat hub (HH). My goal is to login in once and see each house's status and be able to control as necessary. Ideally this would be under one login. I hadn't considered until just now that having a single status dashboard could also be useful. I'm coming from vera where almost nothing was easy or possible so I honestly don't know what I don't know yet. The goals initially are what I described above. TY!

For Hub mesh to work within a single house, yes. But to simply access hubs in multiple locations, no.

If you have good, secure networking equipment and are comfortable making devices accessible via the Internet, you can do this yourself. However, for most ppl I'd recommend making use of Habitats "secure remote admin access" sub (it's a tiny annual fee) to get easy access to remote hubs.

It's basically the same tech they use to give you cloud access to your hubs via the Hubitat App.

1 Like

There's no mutually exclusive path in what you're imagining, so far. You can use the Mobile App to switch (as user) to look at dashboards and cause automations to run. You could then choose to have a self managed VPN or the Subscription to give yourself remote admin to a hub. Admin remotely to adjust, create or delete automations is fine, but adding a new ZWave or Zigbee device from 1400 miles away doesn't seem practical because those devices need button pushes to Include or Exclude.

Neither Hub Mesh nor HubConnect facilitates any form of Admin, they both put selected devices that are "real" on one hub to be a "virtual" device on another. There's nothing preventing you from using the mobile app to switch between hubs, a dashboard for each, and yet still have HubConnect 'mirror' devices to yet another dashboard that has "everything".

Options, enough options to be pretty confusing :smiley:

2 Likes

I use ubiquiti networking gear and will create a tunnel between the 2 locations. It sounds like that's mostly necessary for Admin duties? As a user it sounds like that is not an issue. TY!

1 Like

I don't need to connect two locations but I have used WiFiman to connect remotely to my UDM and have full access to the hub. You should have no issue.

1 Like

Anyone seen a behavior where you add a device to an additional dashboard, hit save and it does not save the additional dashboard permission? You can see I checked the box to add it but after I click save it goes back to only dashboard being checked.