Vera to Hubitat. Very happy

I just want to say after spending several hours migrating from a VeraPlus to a C8 Hubitat, I couldn’t be happier. The responsiveness, reliabilty and ease of programming is a quantum leap. I thought about going with a new Ezlo hub, but thought twice given the activity on this board. There’s some editing things that are a little annoying, but the flexibility built into the logic machine is fantastic. No more Reactor (Thanks Patrick) needed. Thanks to all the folks on this board for already dealing with things I’ve experienced in my migration and especially the experts here. I’m so happy with my 40+ device a Z-wave and Zigbee network now. WHAT A GREAT HUB!

32 Likes

Welcome to Hubitat.

2 Likes

What took you so long? :wink:

Welcome to the Vera refugees club! :metal:

9 Likes

There were some good guys supporting Vera but I think they are in Ukraine. Even during the skirmish they helped me get a Zooz zen32 paired. Patrick’s reactor really motivated me to hang on. Great guy and really added the power Vera was missing. I understand it’s integral in the new Ezlo hub. Vera just kept letting me down. Works great one day, can’t turn the garage light on the next. Battery-powered devices and abandonment of the platform were what finally broke my back. So glad I went with Hubitat.

Thanks for the welcome.

Now a Vera refugee. :grin:

5 Likes

I left after Ezlo released their poor attempt at new OS for the Vera hubs and then starting silencing dissent in the forums.

I had about 30 zwave devices and every extra device brought new problems and stability issues. I have about 100 on Hubitat and it’s rock solid.

1 Like

Lol. I’m already using it. Love how easy and customizable it is. Another great feature

2 Likes

I came over from Vera and Reactor a while back. I've been on a C7 and am waiting on a C8 Pro to arrive any day now. I think you'll be very happy as you learn to navigate Rule Machine and the other built-in apps, and this forum is a great resource with a lot of helpful people. Once you get used to the navigation in the Hubitat UI, there's not too many things you can't do.

3 Likes

So far there’s nothing I haven’t been able to do. It’s obvious that those who designed this platform suffered our pain with platforms such as Vera. I have been really impressed with the intuitiveness of RM. Yes, there are things you have to trial and error before you figure out the best way, but I am very impressed with the flexibility. I guess the only thing missing is an AI engine so we can just tell it what we want and make corrections as needed.

2 Likes

RM has come a long way since 2020, it was much less approachable back then.

2 Likes

I would be nice to have a more free form editor, but it works. For example, if I use a constant in a comparison, it seems most times, I have to reenter the entire comparison just to change the constant. I.e. IF illuminance < 70. To change 70 to something different, seems I have to redo the whole thing. Niggles, but if anyone asked.

Back in 2020 it was much simpler eg

Which meant you had to be very clever just to make a rule that triggered on a state change, eg mode changed from A to B (but not B to A etc).

RM5.1 has moved the needle a long way since v4.

1 Like

I liked the older version of RM... it was logical to me. The new version I try not even touch it if I can.

That surprises me, the new very is much easier to read and use.

2 Likes

I guess its what you started off with.... I got very used to the old RM and rather liked it. The new one to me is very confusing so I dont use it unless I am forced to. As a matter of fact I still use my old rules and never converted them. Wish we had a choice of RM versions.

1 Like

Fair enough. I’m not very good at programming, so that’s likely why I find the current version easier to understand.

1 Like

Not possible. You need to understand that RM is NOT a programming language. Instead, it is a GUI representation of tables of information. The GUI is walking you through building that data. What you see is an illusion, a presentation of that data. It’s not editable text.

What I’ve started doing is using local variables. Then I can just change them in one place and refer to them instead of multiple manually entered values.

1 Like

That’s the ticket I will start using local variables. As most of you know, illuminance is directly affected by placement of the sensor and more so what it’s pointing at. With my Fibaros, you’ll alfo know it’s impossible to get oriented in the same place twice especially after a battery change, thus my need to tweak levels on occasion

2 Likes

I also came from Vera and am glad I choose the Hubitat path. I Migrated from C7-C8 recently with no problems. The one thing that Vera did well was provide an interface for Zwave device Additional Perimeters or Advanced Options. You can do it in Hubitat but you have to change the device driver back and forth.

I wish I had learned Rule Engine from the beginning because now I have actions setup under Basic, Simple Automation (that doesnt always work) and Rule Engine.

Welcome Onboard - I don't miss Vera at all but do miss some of the folks on the old Vera board before they were banned.

1 Like

Agreed, it was a great community until Ezlo started blowing off their own body parts.

1 Like