Ver 141 C8 Hub not reachable for the 5th time

My hub was unreachable again tonight. Static IP, was able to ping, could find with find my hub. Only tried using browser to connect and page would not load. Tried pushing reset button for 10 seconds and did not work to reset. Had to remove power. It booted up ok, was showing ver 144 was available and I installed it. All seems ok for now.

I hope there is no Next Time, but if there is, try using the Diagnostic Menu to do the Shutdown.

add ":8081" after your hub's IP... as in

http://192.168.1.100:8081

This is the second report I've read that gets a ping on the hub but can't connect. I can't remember ever hearing of that one before.

The little button is to revert networking to DHCP and if you didn't have that setup, it won't help with connectivity because ping was already working. (I assume you tried the button to get a "safe" reboot, not to fix networking, but it's important to differentiate the much more common "can't ping the hub, can't connect" symptoms from the new symptoms.)

The only "story" I can construct using those two clues (ping=yes, browse = no) is: 1) the Hub UI crashed; or 2) there's some other device on the same IP.

Since neither of us can fix 1) maybe unplug the Network cable from the hub and ping again. If you get a ping result, that's bad. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I did try the 8081 address. Did not work.
I have Fing device and it was showing the hub was online. I rebooted my Netgear Orbi router as well.
Last time this happened I was able to reach the hub with the 8081 address.

Are you doing a static ip on the hub or a DHCP reservation? What is the network speed set for on the hubitat? Auto or fixed 100? (make sure it's set to auto). Do you have jumbo frames enabled?

Put in a tag for @support_team . Perhaps they can look at your logs to see if they spot something.

Some people have reported issues when they have Ethernet AND WiFi set up in their hubs network settings.
I don't know if you have set both up but thought I would mention it just in case.
If you do have both set up, you should only use one OR the other.

Just mentioning in case you have done his.

The speed is set to auto. Ip is reserved in the router. I have no idea what jumbo frames is, so I guess not?
@support_team

Only have Ethernet set up.

1 Like

You don't happen to have that static IP assigned to another device on your network as well? That will cause odd and annoying issues like this.

1 Like

As far as I can tell from some quick googling, Orbi's don't appear to use jumbo frames. If you saw an MTU setting on your router above 1500 that would be jumbo frames.

I would look at the question from @lpakula about potentially using the same IP reservation on two devices.

Thank you for responding.
I have reviewed the reserved addresses in the router and I see no duplicates. Also using my Fing device it shows no duplicates as well.

I did look up jumbo frames to understand what they are. Definitely not anything I have ever done.

Basic ruling things out...

• try another Ethernet cable
  • connect the hub directly to the Orbi if you're currently connected to a switch, or try another switch
  • change network speed on hub from auto to 100
1 Like

Since restarting the hub all has been working as it should.
When it was not reachable I did appreciate the few Matter bulbs I have that still were controllable via HomeKit.

Per your suggestion, I just went in to hub network settings and updated speed to 100.

The hub is plugged in directly to a port on the Orbi satellite, no switch being used for it.
I’ll get a new cable to swap out.

2 Likes

Do you have any other devices plugged into the Orbi? (Or can you plug something else in when this happens?) Might be a Orbi issue.

I do not think it is an Orbi issue. My C7 and my ATA telephone adapter are both plugged in to the same unit When the C8 was not reachable, the C7 was fully reachable and the telephone was working.

Reboot from the normal UI and select the rebuild database option to eliminate the possibility of a lingering memory decline issue from 2.3.6. (This is the same as a backup/restore).

Also, this post linked below has a bunch of things to consider and post, to gain a full understanding of your setup.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.