Utilitech Water Leak Detector Battery Low Warning

ITEM #0422362
MODEL #ST812-2
Driver: Generic z-wave water sensor

I happened to notice that one of my Utilitech water leak detectors was flashing it's red light every 30 seconds. According to the manual, this means battery is low. The driver is reporting 100% battery. Perhaps the device only reports on low battery, no %, I don't know. The device is reporting an alarm, as the manual says it would (to Iris).

@bcopeland , or anyone, is it possible to enable this alarm or have it report battery % (if this would indeed be possible).

Thanks.

Mine reports battery every 2 1/2 days using the generic z-wave water sensor driver.

I'm getting 100% and the low battery light with the generic z-wave water sensor driver, so I figure battery reporting isn't working. It's been several years that the batteries have been in there.

I'm going to see if I can find a custom driver.

I tried a driver ported from ST in 2018. Didn't get any alarm stuff.

The alarm is seen in Device Events. Is it possible to access Events in a Rule?
I haven't found a way.

Well, it's been three years. I have 12 of them. 3 AAA batteries each. I better get cracking.

I have never seen the alarm event. I bought mine in 2017 and replaced the batteries after about 4 years as I was worried they weren't reporting accurately. All of the old batteries tested around 1.5 volts.

This is the only one I've replaced, and as I said, it's been 3 years.
Still reports wet/dry.
But in the interest of making it easy on myself, vis a vis, the vagaries of including and excluding this device, I figure I'd best do it sooner rather than later.

1 Like

I did find a couple others that had an alarm in events. Plus one that's totally dead-doesnt respond to wet.

It would be nice to have the alarm in Events accessible so that we could actually be warned of a low battery. @bcopeland ?

I just finished replacing batteries on 11 of 12. I'm keeping the 12th as a test. It's at 60% battery. I wrote a rule to notify me if battery goes less than 1%. Battery % seems to go to null when it goes into alarm, and that seems to be testable by doing the less than test. Couldn't figure out a way to test it, with the languid reporting characteristics of the sensor, so, going to let it ride to alarm and see if it actually works.

Those little screws are a PITA, but I'm getting better.

2 Likes

Well, at some point I stopped the 'all-batteries' notifier because I thought it didn't work.
(I just started it up again for laughs.)

Anyway, it wouldn't have mattered in my experiment, because the thing stopped reporting totally (after 3 1/4 years) at 1%

Of course, the Ray-O-Vac batteries leaked. I tried cleaning, and now I'm trying to get the thing working again.

No idea how to include/exclude, etc, so I'm searching my auxiliary brain, the forum, which is how I came upon this thread.

Moral is, I guess you don't want to replace to late, because of the possible leakage thing.

Does this help you at all?

1 Like

Thanks, but this is the only thing that worked for me:

1 Like

Nice to see my "discovery" hasn't been forgotten! I remember the frustration with that thing, but the bonus is it's reliability.

1 Like