Using WeatherUnderground API from PWS?

If you are talking about @Cobra's WU driver, you should check his site for it now:
https://cobra-apps.co.uk/

Debating about adding WU to my WSM4Hubitat Driver... but did not even remember I had an account for it. Checked the API information... but no guarantee when I might get it added.

Just because I am curious, 2 questions:

1. What particular information are you looking for that the current stuff out there does not work for?
  2. What PWS are you using? There may be a driver to integrate data from it directly.

Thank you @snell. Yes I was looking at @Cobra old stuff. Tried registering for his site a couple of days ago but have not received login details as yet.

I am running a Davis Vantage Pro PWS. While on ST I was using it mainly for local temperature and wind gusts. The local weather is from around 800’ feet below my location and I find the temperatures can be up to 8 degrees different at times. Also I am using the instantaneous wind speed (gusts) to alert me to raise some large sun shades. I also am adding solar soon and will add a solar sensor to the Davis to read irradiance.

In case you want to try it out, my WSM4Hubitat driver is now updated to support Weather Underground (as of version 0.8.0). It is fairly limited, meant to give people a quick snapshot of today's information and tomorrow's. It is NOT meant to be a whole PWS response like my AmbientWeatherEcowitt or WeatherFlow drivers are.

That does not mean I might not make one though. The API was fairly easy to deal with.

1 Like

I was able to get a new device added using your WSM4Hubitat driver and my WU API key. Thanks! I was able to see the temp and gust from my PWS when I refresh. Because I am new to HE I am working on how to get this info out to a dashboard and also being able to use these values in Rule Engine for automations I have based on temp and wind.
A question...You mentioned HSM4Hubitat and I found WSM4Hubitat. Is there a difference or just a typo?
Thanks

Another question...Is there a way to manually/auto refresh this data beyond the hourly? I would like to get updates every 10 minutes for temp and gusts for automations. Hoping to have these available in Rule Engine or WebCore. (Though I am finding WebCore in HE to not be quite the same as I am used to).

Thanks again.

For the first one, it was a typo. WSM4Hubitat (Weather Service Monitor 4 Hubitat). Oops. I edited the prior post to correct that in case anyone else ever is looking.

As for the update frequency... This driver is geared more towards "Today" and "Tomorrow" information, with some doing "Tonight" and "Tomorrow-Night" if the service provides it so that it can be a general monitor/forecasting. It is NOT meant to monitor a PWS and give you "live" information. That being said... You could edit the driver at the following points to make it handle 10 minutes (I will probably make a Weather Underground-specific PWS driver in the near future to be honest):

1. Edit line 179: Add an option "Every 10 Minutes" in front of "Hourly". Do not forget the quotes around it or a comma after it (like "Hourly",).
  2. Add the following lines between line 192 & 193:
    case "Every 10 Minutes":
    runEvery10Minutes( refresh )
    break

Other timing options are runEvery1Minute, runEvery5Minutes, runEvery15Minutes or runEvery30Minutes. I do not recommend a 1 minute refresh for most APIs, but the other options might work for you as well.

1 Like

Perfect. Giving this a try now. Thank you very much.

Working great!

1 Like

Glad to help. I will post when I have a more specific PWS driver made.

1 Like

There is also WeeWX that uses a RPi and can spit out real time stats. I use my weather station to do it this way. Your WS is supported... http://weewx.com/

2 Likes

If you use WeeWX, you don't need WeatherUnderground to access your PWS data.

I’ve got a Rpi laying around. I’ll give Weewx and this driver a try. Thx!

@dennypage Ok. So I have got the Rpi with weewx up and running now. Getting data out to a weewx web page just fine. Next I have loaded your driver, created the virtual device in Hubitat , added the extension to weewx, edited the weewx.config Hubitat section and restarted weewx. However nothing comes back to Hubitat. Any troubleshooting tips?

Did you save the IP address of the WeeWx server in the Preferences of the driver?
And did you use the exact URL from the State Variables section of the driver?
Did you add user.hubitat.Hubitat to restful_services?

#!@#!$#!

Just went to check the step by step in GitHub, and the restful_services is missing. My bad. Fixing it now.

At the same time you were responding I was double checking everything. Found I had omitted the http:// from the URL. Added that, restarted and getting data now. Not familiar with the restful_services so I'll wait for your update. Thanks!

1 Like

I went back and checked... it's automatically added when you install the extension. I'm going to add a note anyway. If nothing else than to help me remember. :slight_smile:

Perfect. Data is coming in at regular intervals. I like the fact that everything is now local.

1 Like

Depending upon your station hardware, you also have access to a lot of things that WU leaves out. More accuracy as well.