Using Philips Hue bulbs with HE without Hue Bridge

If you use @bertabcd1234 ‘s CoCoHue integration (which I have been using for most of the year without issues), you will be able to import the Hue sensors with faster polling if necessary. I understand not wanting to move your lights from Hue. I wouldn’t do that either, but I do have all of my Hue sensors and button controllers on HE and they are solid. HE is much more flexible than Hue for rules.

1 Like

@Ken_Fraleigh Thank you so much for that - off looking at it now :slight_smile: Happy New Year!

1 Like

Happy New Year to you as well and have fun :grinning:

If you need to get the temperature readings from your motion sensors off the Hue bridge I wrote some driver code a while ago that may be useful. If you decide you still want to continue with the Hue + HE setup let me know and I can pass on the code. FWIW, I am in the process of converting to a HE setup, having recently purchased a new C-7 in addition to my existing C-4, including migrating Hue motion sensors, Hue dimmer switches (connected to Conbee2 USB stick on a RPI) and a Hue Tap also linked to the Conbee2.

@Ken_Fraleigh Ok many thanks - I have installed the CoCoHue and have imported everything but it appears that the Cocohue does NOT include Motion/Temp/Luminance Sensors :frowning:

Can you advise on how to add the Sensors?

@sburke781 Thank you so much - The Hue Motion Sensors - when connected directly to HE seems to operating fine - I am testing one in my office so can keep an eye on it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you have the motion sensor driver installed? I haven’t tried using this feature since I have all of my Hue sensors on HE. My favorite thing is that it will import scenes and groups from Hue.

1 Like

I found the various integrations between a Hue bridge and HE to be useful but not ultimately effective when trying to use them in an interactive manner, at least for my use cases. My two main sticking points for migrating to a HE only setup had been my use of the long hold on the Hue Dimmer switch Power Off, plus the suggested setup of a second HE hub for lighting to separate it from more resource hungry apps, etc.

Hubitat's recent sale on C-7's sold me on the second point and my recent purchase of a Conbee2 USB stick allowed long holds from my Hue Dimmers to trigger rules like I do on my Hue Bridge. So I am a HE lighting convert now, my Hue Bridge will soon be a thing of the past, at least until I expand my outdoor lighting, I suspect.

@Ken_Fraleigh Thanks but I must have misunderstood

Blockquote CoCoHue integration (which I have been using for most of the year without issues), you will be able to import the Hue sensors with faster polling if necessary

I thought form this that the CoCoHue enabled me to add the Hue Sensors from the Hue Hub into HE so I could use the Temp Sensors.

If I have to bring the Hue Motion Sensors into HE natively then I need to transfer some, Hue lights natively into HE too to create a mesh for the Hue battery powered sensors.

Then I am back to introducing critical dependencies into the mix.

I have ordered a Sonoff Temp Sensor to see if that works reliably, natively in HE.

And for fun two Sonoff Motion Sensors - I want to try a Room Presence Indicator - by counting people coming and leaving the room - ie put one Sonoff Motion Sensor each side of a door pointing down.

It does now, but only in the 3.0 version I just released as a sort of beta/preview. A recent post in that thread has information on it, or it's also in HPM if you have pre-releases turned on. But the current "stable" 2.0 version you probably found more easily does not.

2 Likes

@bertabcd1234 now that is what I call service!!!!!

Outstanding, I make a wish and you deliver the same day - amazing!!

Thank you, I am running v3.00 the whole of HE is in test for me.

So far loaded 122 devices and testing them to see if It can do everything I need it too.

Early indicators are very promising.

Thanks again

Happy New Year

Mike

1 Like

I am getting a lot of errors in the logs, new to HE but this looks like a cocohue issue?

dev:2262020-12-28 12:08:16.989 errororg.codehaus.groovy.runtime.typehandling.GroovyCastException: Cannot cast object 'battery=100' with class 'java.util.LinkedHashMap$Entry' to class 'java.lang.Integer' on line 118 (createEventsFromMap)

dev:2272020-12-28 12:08:16.957 errororg.codehaus.groovy.runtime.typehandling.GroovyCastException: Cannot cast object 'battery=25' with class 'java.util.LinkedHashMap$Entry' to class 'java.lang.Integer' on line 118 (createEventsFromMap)

dev:2252020-12-28 12:08:16.924 errororg.codehaus.groovy.runtime.typehandling.GroovyCastException: Cannot cast object 'battery=35' with class 'java.util.LinkedHashMap$Entry' to class 'java.lang.Integer' on line 118 (createEventsFromMap)

dev:2332020-12-28 12:08:16.892 errororg.codehaus.groovy.runtime.typehandling.GroovyCastException: Cannot cast object 'battery=100' with class 'java.util.LinkedHashMap$Entry' to class 'java.lang.Integer' on line 118 (createEventsFromMap)

dev:2342020-12-28 12:08:16.827 errororg.codehaus.groovy.runtime.typehandling.GroovyCastException: Cannot cast object 'battery=100' with class 'java.util.LinkedHashMap$Entry' to class 'java.lang.Integer' on line 118 (createEventsFromMap)

dev:2292020-12-28 12:08:16.795 errororg.codehaus.groovy.runtime.typehandling.GroovyCastException: Cannot cast object 'battery=56' with class 'java.util.LinkedHashMap$Entry' to class 'java.lang.Integer' on line 118 (createEventsFromMap)

dev:2282020-12-28 12:08:16.757 errororg.codehaus.groovy.runtime.typehandling.GroovyCastException: Cannot cast object 'battery=100' with class 'java.util.LinkedHashMap$Entry' to class 'java.lang.Integer' on line 118 (createEventsFromMap)

dev:2352020-12-28 12:08:16.720 errororg.codehaus.groovy.runtime.typehandling.GroovyCastException: Cannot cast object 'battery=90' with class 'java.util.LinkedHashMap$Entry' to class 'java.lang.Integer' on line 118 (createEventsFromMap)

dev:2322020-12-28 12:08:16.689 infoMaster Ensuite sensor illuminance is 46lux

dev:2322020-12-28 12:08:16.679 errororg.codehaus.groovy.runtime.typehandling.GroovyCastException: Cannot cast object 'battery=100' with class 'java.util.LinkedHashMap$Entry' to class 'java.lang.Integer' on line 118 (createEventsFromMap)

dev:2302020-12-28 12:08:16.646 errororg.codehaus.groovy.runtime.typehandling.GroovyCastException: Cannot cast object 'battery=100' with class 'java.util.LinkedHashMap$Entry' to class 'java.lang.Integer' on line 118 (createEventsFromMap)

dev:2312020-12-28 12:08:16.608 errororg.codehaus.groovy.runtime.typehandling.GroovyCastException: Cannot cast object 'battery=49' with class 'java.util.LinkedHashMap$Entry' to class 'java.lang.Integer' on line 118 (createEventsFromMap)

Probably should post this to the CoCoHue forum in case Robert isn’t following this thread. [RELEASE] CoCoHue: Hue Bridge Integration (including scenes!)

Will do that makes perfect sense - thanks

1 Like

I am following this for anyone keeping score at home, but I'll respond in the other thread just to keep this in one place. :smiley:

1 Like

Hello, I just reached my Hue hub bulb limitation but there are still a few to add.

Would you recommand to install a second Hue bridge or get all those 73 lights directly on HE? Hue dimmer switches and motion sensors are already on HE as they control more than just lights using the "Button controller" app and some rule machine.

Thank you

@Sebast welcome to the HE community, Yes if you have reached the bulb limit on the first Hue hub the recommendation would be buy a second Hue hub and add additional bulbs to it. You don't want to add Hue bulbs directly to your Hubitat Elevation (HE) hub as it could mess with your Zigbee mesh if you have other Zigbee devices on it already.

1 Like

@lawsonad Thank you for your rapid response.

For information to other users, I also learned that firmware cannot be updated directly on non Hue hubs so it might be another reason to keep the Hue hub.

Great information In this post! I’ve been struggling to Get consistent automations from hue bulbs, I will be getting the hue bridge.

Hi. Well it's been awhile since the last post, I wanted to see if anything has changed since then. I just purchased my very first Hue Bulb (or Hue device of any kind) thinking that it wouldn't be a problem pairing it directly with the Hubitat hub. But reading the previous post here makes me think differently. Especially since most all of the rest of my bulbs are Osrams (not sure if they are 1st gen, but I am pretty sure they are older models).
I don't have any plans on buying other Hue devices, so it seem kind of a waste of money to get the bridge. How much trouble could putting on Hue bulb in my HE be?

Thanks,
Jon

P.S. The bulb is the 1600 lumen white ambiance,

The simple thing is to just try it. If it’s a problem then it’s a problem, otherwise it’s fine.

I wouldn’t call Hue bridge a waste of money unless you’re never going to use it for anything but a single bulb. I sold my house and a hue bridge. I have now purchased another hue bridge to use in my new home.
It’s a reliable way to connect both hue bulbs and IKEA TRÅDFRI bulbs (although the IKEA bulbs can be unreliable themselves in my experience). Some Cree bulbs also connect, but then again they are also sometimes problematic. Hue bulbs are very reliable.

1 Like