Using An Xfinity Contact Sensor For Presence

Looked at the ST sensor.
Battery replace 8/3 with Duracell. Not yet 4 weeks.
Voltage measured 2.96. Still some life left, I'd expect, but weakening?
Replaced battery. Started working again.
Better numbers:

If you are otherwise happy with the ST sensor, then consider the AA battery modification. I have been running two sensors like this for over 2 years (no battery changes yet). Others have reported 4+ years on the original batteries.

1 Like

I went away for a couple hours.
When I came back, the garage door rule didn't work.
Looking at the logs, it became 'present' about three minutes after the ST arrival sensor.
I knew was too easy.
Oh well.
edit: It acted up in other bad ways as well. It's back to being a generic zigbee contact sensor.

I changed it back and forth, etc, to the ST v4 sensor yesterday, but it wouldn't report every 20 seconds like it had. Then, around 1:04 this evening, it reported arrived! Zigbee logs, which I didn't run overnight, are now showing reports every 20 seconds. Weird. I'll keep messing with it.
edit: Sitting relatively near the hub, my usual Altoids tin in a covered metal pot didn't stop the radio waves. Neither did the tin box inside of an ammo can. Pretty strong radio, I'd say. Has to be something around the house...maybe some pipe.

This seems to have done the trick:

my answer to presence sensor without a device...
I've set up three different way to sense presence.
a Shared variable using Hubitat, HomeKit and Alexa.
If any of the three, senses arrival or departure of my phone, it sets/resets the variable allowing arming/disarming HSM, turning on lights, etc.
It hasn't failed once since installing.
The trigger point is about 400' from the hub.
HomeKit usually detects first, Alexa comes close at second and Hubitat third.

Swapped devices in apps again.
Pasted Xfininity on windshield.
Left house for 2.5 hours.
Came back: rules worked perfectly!
I'll keep going with it.

Phone sensing is useful and I do use it (both GPS and Wi-Fi detection). However, there is merit for a separate sensor. For instance, I have one rule that only operates if I return home on my motorcycle.

1 Like

Subsequent arrival detections have taken 2 and 7 minutes. Too long to be practical.