Using An Xfinity Contact Sensor For Presence

The reason I am asking is if the supervisor message is an acceptable interval for you purpose then the battery will last years. If you need it more frequent then having the device open will make it run nonstop and drain the battery at some rate. If you can live with that ok. If you need more battery life them adding a timer to the device to enable it on an interval can help extend battery life.

Seems kinda bulky and something to forget. I like the phone and geofencing or scripting connecting to wifi etc.

You wouldn't want to carry one in your pocket, but it's not that much bigger than the ST.
I have velcro'ed now to a car window.

If you are relying on a car leaving the property, then some kind of pressure sensor you drive over might be an alternative....? Not ideal I will admit,,,

Is your use case only for the car?

1 Like

Yes. That is what I use the SmartThings Arrival Sensors for.

To change the reporting frequency, use the driver from @kkossev :slight_smile:
Zigbee Reporting Frequency

1 Like

The signal from the Xfinity might be not as strong as the ST.
edit: That's not right. It's stronger! Lower number = stronger!

Lot of variables though. Position of sensor, garage geometry, metal, etc, but should be similar for both.
We'll see if it works in actual use later.

ST chose 20 seconds for a reason, I imagine.
I'll stick to that for now.
While not related to battery life, the departure parameter on the driver, currently the default of 2 minutes, is adjustable.

Are there times you wouldn't have your phone when leaning or returning from the premises? And are you likely to be in range of Wi-Fi?

Hold on a second. I mispoke.
Lower is stronger! So the Xfinity is stronger than the ST.

Ok. If its just for the car you can deal with the battery issue like this:

You can get a USB to CR2032 pretty easily. a CR2450 is a little harder, but you can make an adapter for the CR2032 to 2450. Then you just plug it into your car USB or 12v to usb adapter and then never worry about it. Only runs while the car is running.

https://www.amazon.com/Connect-CR2032-Converter-Counter-Display/dp/B097N7F2RR

I thought about that. But it's a hassle too. I've got a gps and dash cam already plugged into the lighter outlet, then you'd have to string (another) wire and locate the device, then you sell the car, lol.

Can live anywhere in the car. Got any back 12v sockets? You don't have to really string it anywhere. Can live under the dash even. A fuse tap and you are done...

Not on this car.

I had a hardwired rear dash cam as well as a front one on my last MINI.

The current MINI, I just use a front one, with the wiring strung behind some plastic and a cigarette lighter plug.

It was somewhat of a hassle installing it hardwired, as I remember. I had it going to an unused fuse location. Worked fine, but getting the wire to the rear camera under the headliner and behind the wiper fascia sucked, as I recall.

Maybe it's just because I'm getting older and lazier.

Well, look at that. The ST arrival sensor shows departed.
The signal was indeed weak.
I've been having some issues with getting a strong (enough) signal for the ST sensor inside the garage.
I did place the XF sensor next to the ST, so maybe that's a factor.
I'll move it around and see if I can improve it.
Perhaps the XF sensor's stronger signal will help with this.
If it works, lol.

Looked at the ST sensor.
Battery replace 8/3 with Duracell. Not yet 4 weeks.
Voltage measured 2.96. Still some life left, I'd expect, but weakening?
Replaced battery. Started working again.
Better numbers:

If you are otherwise happy with the ST sensor, then consider the AA battery modification. I have been running two sensors like this for over 2 years (no battery changes yet). Others have reported 4+ years on the original batteries.

1 Like

I went away for a couple hours.
When I came back, the garage door rule didn't work.
Looking at the logs, it became 'present' about three minutes after the ST arrival sensor.
I knew was too easy.
Oh well.
edit: It acted up in other bad ways as well. It's back to being a generic zigbee contact sensor.

I changed it back and forth, etc, to the ST v4 sensor yesterday, but it wouldn't report every 20 seconds like it had. Then, around 1:04 this evening, it reported arrived! Zigbee logs, which I didn't run overnight, are now showing reports every 20 seconds. Weird. I'll keep messing with it.
edit: Sitting relatively near the hub, my usual Altoids tin in a covered metal pot didn't stop the radio waves. Neither did the tin box inside of an ammo can. Pretty strong radio, I'd say. Has to be something around the house...maybe some pipe.

This seems to have done the trick: