Using a POE

LOL.....I just removed my Lutron hub from my POE switch last night at Lutron's recommendation. It recently started freezing on me (requiring power cycle). They advised that the hub should be connected directly to the router if possible as sometimes having devices in between can cause issues :man_shrugging:

Been working fine for months on the POE but I'm not going to argue when it's a simple test. I found your timing for that post really funny. Hope you aren't cyber-stalling me.

1 Like

I don't think it's useless to only have the ubiquity APs. Network-wise that's all I have, and everything else is Juniper. It's not ideal from a visibility perspective in the cloud key, but the APs are awesome.

I'm doing some crazy stuff with the Juniper gear that Ubiquity just cannot do because I have other gear in datacenters and the cloud and have some pretty complex routing and segregation going on.

1 Like

@ogiewon, my Lutron bridge has been rock solid since removing from the POE. Looks like support was right. I really can't explain why it worked for months without issue and started having problems now. Maybe a failing poe adapter...maybe not enough (or consistent) power being sent to the hub....really can't say. I just wanted to post this here in case this happens to someone else so they know to try attaching the bridge directly to their router as a test.

4 Likes

Thank you for the status update, @stephack. I have had my Lutron SmartBridge Pro attached via POE for over a week without issue thus far. I’ll keep an eye on it.

3 Likes

Well @stephack, just a status update. Everything that I have had attached to my Unifi POE switch is still working flawlessly, including my Lutron SmartBridge Pro. I have managed to fall a little further down the Unifi 'rabbit hole' as of late... :wink: The Asus RT-AC86U router has finally been replaced with a UniFi Dream Machine, a nanoHD AP, and some more UniFi switches. I hope to eventually replace the remaining unmanaged switches in my network as well. I may even add one more AP to improve 5GHz coverage... :thinking:

5 Likes

Good stuff. I have looked an unifi myself and it's definitely on my wish list. I've heard great things about that ecosystem. Like many things on my wish list, this one requires a lot of research (a lot of gear and configs to parse through). Glad to know I have someone to PM when I'm ready to peer down that rabbit hole :wink:

Curious, I know you used the Asus for your VPN previously. Does the unifi router allow the same or better functionality there?

2 Likes

The worst thing about community.hubitat.com, is that I'm constantly inspired to get new gear.

I have a Qotom box on order to build an OpnSense firewall. Later this year, I'm going to look into getting Unifi ....

6 Likes

Ah yes, the Unifi rabbit hole. I know it well.

3 Likes

U all need to stop it!
I don't NEED any new gear.
:hear_no_evil:

8 Likes

Quick question. Are your Sonos plugged into a managed switch or wireless? Trying to figure out what I'll need if I switch to Unifi.

It offers similar functionality. The UDM has a built-in L2TP VPN Server that can be configured for remote network access.

Currently, it does not have VPN Client functionality to allow all of your home outgoing traffic to be encrypted/obfuscated by a thrid party VPN Service, like PIA.

The The Asus OpenVPN is a more secure and more highly regarded VPN solution. But, for my very simple needs, the UniFi's L2TP vpn server is plenty adequate. It also does not require any additional software to be installed on my iPhone. The iOS built-in VPN software works fine.

2 Likes

I have one IKEA Symfonisk/Sonos speaker, and it is connected via WiFi. So far, no issues that I have detected. However, I really only use that speaker for TTS announcements. And, I have less than a week of runtime on this system...so there may be some lurking issues.

1 Like

All of my Sonos are currently connected via ethernet - and two of them (Sonos One in my bedroom) are a right/left speaker pair. I had initially set that up via WiFi and it was iffy. But that could also reflect my WiFi setup (Google). I didn't use SonosNet either ....

The Unifi hardware looks really good.

1 Like

My Nortel 48 port switch finally seems to have had it... So I am in the process of getting a new 48 port, this time with POE+ not just POE. The extra power can help if I get some cameras. In the meantime I am on my backup 24 port. Not enough for every line in the house but it has 12 POE ports so I was able to keep all the basics happy at least.

1 Like

My Sonos gear works well with Unifi gear. I have one Sonos plugged in via ethernet, the other Sonos connect via the first. Occassionally I have to reboot the Sonos speaker, but that's probably user error (me doing something to the Unifi network).

Also there's a great Node Red Unifi node. "Later in the year" might have been brought forward!

3 Likes

I know what you mean!
Just upgraded my switch to a unifi 24 port POE, and looking for another unifi AP, fof better coverage at front of house...
plus upgrading my unraid server to run pfsense/opnsense in a vm (server runs 24/7 anyway)...

1 Like

Lots of Unifi talk. Good gear. Anyone else running Mikrotik?

Mikrotik CAPSMAN wifi here with 8 APs. Runs great.

1 Like

Just wanted to post that I have my C-7 now up and running with POE. I decided I wanted to get rid of the last of my wall warts in my network stack so I ordered two of these:

Amazon.com: UCTRONICS PoE Splitter Gigabit 5V - Micro USB Power and Ethernet to Raspberry Pi 3B+, Work with Echo Dot, Most Micro USB Security Camera and Tablet - IEEE 802.3af Compliant: Computers & Accessories

One for a Pi that I use as my backup DNS and the other for the C-7. I connected them to my Unifi USW-Lite-16-PoE. The Hubitat and Pi had no issues with these adapters and power draw looks in line with the specification of the PoE splitters:

1 Like

This post just brought some clarity to solving a logistics dilemma I have with a UPS and C-5. I guess I was always thinking I'd wait to use that POE (I have in a box) when I change out my network to Unifi kit w/ POE.

The UCTRONICS name doesn't sound familiar to me ... this unit got some pretty good reviews but some of the negative ones point to concerns over power regulation. Their other units seem to have some of the same concerns. I'm hoping that if it fails it does so non-destructively.

1 Like