Using a 2nd Lutron Caseta SmartBridge Pro 2 as repeater

Hi all. There are a few threads related to this, but none of them seemed to directly answer my question. So, here it goes.

I recently added Pico remotes to my HE setup, requiring that I also add a Caseta SmartBridge, specifically the SmartBridge Pro 2 (L-BDGPRO2-WH) and integrate that with Hubitat. A grand total of 6 pico lighting remotes and 1 pico audio remote are on the Lutron network with every other device/bulb either connected directly to HE or the Philips Hue bridge and then integrated into HE. So, if it wasn't for the Picos, I wouldn't have Lutron at all.

It's a large house, so the single Lutron SmartBridge doesn't seem to reach everywhere as I've observed that the Picos tend to be a bit spotty in some areas.

What is the best way to extend the lutron signal? I hear mixed information about whether the Caseta repeaters work or I need to use the plug-in dimmers, or even the in-wall dimmer switches. I have also heard that HE specifically works on only one of the Caseta frequencies, which is why the SmartBridge Pro was necessary...

Thanks!

One simple way would be to get a Caseta Repeater.

https://www.amazon.com/Lutron-Caseta-Repeater-PD-REP-WH-White/dp/B084CMKTG3

1 Like

There are only two ways to do this, and another Bridge is not one: https://www.casetawireless.com/faqs (it is different from the higher-end systems that allow multiple Main Repeaters in this regard)

You can use either the standalone repeater (looks nearly identical to the Bridge) or a Plug-In Dimmer. Only one repeater is allowed, and if you have more than one Plug, Lutron chooses the first. If if were me, I'd use the Plug unless I didn't have a use for it or didn't trust people not to unplug it--that way, you at least have the hope of using the device in your system somehow. However, it sounds like you don't really have a use one way or the other, so if nothing else matters, then I suppose I'd buy based on price. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Marvinyx

There is one advantage over getting the dedicated repeater v/s using a plug-in dimmer as a range extender.

Lutron indicates the dedicated repeater can be 60 ft away from the Caseta Pro Bridge, whereas plug-in repeaters have to be within 30 ft.

3 Likes

So, I've heard mixed things about this as some say that repeater doesn't extend the telnet signal, which is what I'm using. If that's not true, it would make a ton of sense because I've always found that restriction quite odd.

That is true.

And, that is a very good point. SOLD!

Plus, it's my understanding that you can actually use both, just not more than one of each. So maybe I'll start with the repeater and then add a plug-in dimmer down the road if I ever care about extending the signal to my work shed lol

1 Like

Not true.

2 Likes

Got it. Thank you both!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.