Use self device in the condition used

I'm trying to make all my inovelli switch react when I press the On button when the light is already on to send itself the light level to 100% (which would mirror to my Philips Hue Light).

Now I know I can create a individual rule for every light switch to do this !

But is there a way to target SELF for example when adding the condition check that the light is on, and when I call the set to 100% function. This way I could set a single rule for all my light.

As a more complicated scenario, could we have Light Group or something like this to combine the Light Switch & Actual smart light, so we could have a mirror app between those device, but mostly so we can set the trigger on the Light Group, and the rule being on the Light Group, the trigger SELF which would include the Switch + Smart Light Bulb. So I could rule on SELF that we set the lights to Warm White. The switch doesn't have that support, but my hue light would have so it would get that command.

I know I can do all this as it is now, but I have to create so many rules and adding just a little things would require modifying all of them (I got 18 inovelli dimmer and 37 philips hue light).

So anything like this is possible as it is now or do I have to start building all those rules ? :slight_smile:

This used to not be possible (so you might read a lot of posts saying it isn't), and it's still not possible to handle all cases where you might want to refer to the triggering device, and I'm not sure that yours is one. Unrelated to Rule Machine is the fact that you'll probably get the "On" event (switch: on) from the Inovelli device before you get the CentralScene/button event (e.g., pushed: 1), so your test to see if the device was on will likely succeed every time. Someone asked a question recently about this, and you can do some reading in that thread if you want to see possible workarounds:

Back to RM-specific things here, you can use a custom action under Set Mode or Variables, Run Custom Action > Run Custom Action to run any command on the same device that triggered the Rule. The command you'll want (after you choose a "prototype" device to get through this part of the UI) is the setLevel() command with at least a single number parameter of 99 (or 100 if your device/driver accepts that--Z-Wave technically maxes out at 99). Optionally, you can provide a second number parameter for fade time (in seconds). So, if you trigger on a certain device button push, using the above custom action (for setLevel()) on the trigger device should work.

But you can't use the trigger device as part of a conditional, so you can't check if it's on before doing the setLevel(100). If you triggered with the "on" event, you'd already know it's on, but to get what you want, I think you need to trigger with a button event (pushed), and then there's no way to check.

So...you might need to write individual Rules. But if it helps, there is a clone feature on the App Status (gear icon) page. :slight_smile: Someone also might be able to write a custom app that does this more cleanly...

2 Likes

I haven't think about the order of the different events occurring... Argh.

You made me want to think a bit more at how I want to implement it. I do need to find a way to deal with that. I could create a variable to true when the event On is executed on the light, then the first push 1 that occur, if it set to true, it just turn it to false. If another push 1 event occur with the field to false, then it set the light to 100% ! :wink:

I just feel that by now someone would have figured all this lol !

I just use another tap and avoid issue the issue entirely since the Inovelli has so many (plus the config button) to spare. :slight_smile:

That is what I though to do, but I know I often just as a reflex press one time when it already on... Or the light is soo low that it feel like it off, so pressing once and nothing happen and get frustrated for a second, but it just the light is soo dim that it off. I just feel it would create a better user experience to have it this way.

Adding a bit of AI, it could detect the light intensity I like during the different type of the day and automatically set that level when I turn it on.

Or make it so that after a long time off, when I turn it on, it already to 100%... Or set the % based on the time of day and the outside illumination.

There is just soo much cool stuff in term of user experience to do !!! hehe I just wish someone else did it all so I don't have to start doing it myself :wink: