Use Locative for Presence

Firstly..I'm sorry to hear that.
Secondly, I believe he was being facetious. As was I in my first statement....kinda.. :wink:

3 Likes

:joy: You guys are funny. I didn't get the facetiousness in his post, but I'm not so much of an Apple fanboy that I can't laugh at myself about it too. Yeah, it's was an expensive phone, but when I bought this, I got everything in a phone I wanted expect Qi charging. Pas de regrets!

My comment was snarky but not enough for anyone to take it personal :grin:

What features did you change? I’m going to try to play around with the iOS code and see what I can find.

Under Settings:

1. I removed the URL text line and left just the Global GET/POST button.
  2. Made GET as the global default instead of POST

Changed app version to 1.00
Changed app name to HEgps - This might change

There is a lot of code cleanup that needs to be done... there is code referring to my.locative.io which needs to be removed for example.

I have been using Locative now for about a month and for two phones. For the most part it seems to work fairly well. However, it is not consistent and sometimes it will not recognize a phone leaving or arriving in a destination. This messes up my Rules and Modes when presence isn't detected as coming or going from a location. I would really be happy if there was a more stable presence detection. That is one thing that ST has over HE.

Just curious, are you having it report into the local maker API url or the cloud?

Only asking because I've seen somebody use the local URL and if you do, when you leave the area you won't be able to report to the hub that you left. So mentioning this.

The other thing I've seen is that sometimes the phone is on the edge of your wifi and its fighting for the signal before it disconnects. In this state my phone has no internet access at all until it finally lets go. In my situation it was having issues updating that I left because of my locative circle size. I made it a bit bigger and that resolved it so that my phone is definitely disconnected from wifi when it's going to update the presence.

I am using the Cloud url.

1 Like

ST geolocation improved for me over time, but it still didn’t reach 100% reliability. I haven’t found a solution that does yet.

I dont think one exists because these apps are always trying to balance battery life with responsiveness. For a long time the ST presence worked for me 100%, then all of a sudden it was unreliable, but only for me. My wife continued to work fine...we have the same model phone btw.

I have now tried Locative, Tasker, Tasker with AutoLocation, Alexa App and Life360 with HE. They have all missed events, but so far Tasker with AutoLocation has been the best. Only twice in over a month and one of those times I believe the issue was because the phone was in Network purgatory that @gavincampbell described. I plan to add locative to the mix again and use a virtual presence device. This way I can have multiple sources for my location updates and apply some kind of algorithm to make it more accurate. I'll plan to reach out to other users who have done this already for advice once I'm ready. The quick tease of the official HE app is what is preventing me from doing this right now. I want to test how it well it works before I invest time with a multi source location option.

CNBC article today:

Microsoft recommends switching to iPhone or Android as it prepares to kill off Windows phones

1 Like

Totally agree. When I was with ST they did an update that had it working perfectly. But I haven't been with them for a while so not sure how it is now.

I'm in the same boat. Add in also HomeKit into that mix and they have all missed events at one time or another.

In my case arriving MUST be 100% as it disables the alarm. Leaving can have some failure as they eventually kick in and then mark away.

The only way I could get arriving at 100% was by using multiple methods. Geolocation and Lan Presence in combination using one of Cobra's apps to combine them into one presence sensor. You just need to make sure your wifi reaches out to the front of the house so it picks up your phone as you walk up.

The backup to all that is that my alarm will also disable if one of our codes are used on the door to unlock it though the combination of geolocation and lan has worked great.

Right now on my phone I have everything loaded and notification setup to notify me when state changes so I can see when and where they happen. On the wifes phone I got homekit (currently testing),life360 and lan setup and working.

Was a matter of time. Microsoft also announced they gave up with Cortana and trying to compete with Alexa/Google. Instead they will turn Cortana into an app.

I think we all saw this coming.

1 Like

I had this setup as well but in testing it hasn't worked perfectly. The time between my lock sending the update to HSM to disarm and opening the door would sometimes not be quick enough. I would get a quick couple of intrusion alerts and then the Disarm would kick in. I could ask my wife to wait a second or 2 before opening the front door but something tells me I would get "the glare" in return.

HAHA.. 'the glare'. I get that too.

Luckily the door part is a last resort and has never actually been used. The first two methods have been 100% when I arrive. If for some reason the ping server crashes at home and the geolocation fails to update then the lock would be used.

Set a longer intrusion delay?

Yep...I left it in place because at the very least I wont get bombarded with motion alerts as my wife walked through the house. A couple of alerts isn't bad.

That's too obvious. I need to complicate things a bit more first. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I actually forgot there have been upgrades to HSM since I set it up in February. It's probably the only thing I haven't touched since I set it up. Never even considered the option. :man_facepalming:
I'll have to check this out when I get home.

1 Like

90 sec works for me. I only use delays in away mode to allow for someone to disarm via dashboard if the presence and door lock code RMs don't work for some reason.

I would like to add some locks to my home automation but with such unreliability with presence, I can't see doing it yet. Makes me nervous thinking that my house might not be locked when we leave. I have Modes and heat settings that are triggered by presence and this is a bit frustrating when the heat doesn't go down and there isn't anybody home. Also the fact that I can't just pull up an app and make the change to fix it.

1 Like