Use Locative for Presence

Sweet, I was hoping someone could use the source for good. I'll be willing to test for android when you have something put together.

1 Like

And lucked out too...... this git code is at versionName "3.0.1" so all I have to do is tweak !!!

4 Likes
  • excellent !
    I'll be keeping an eye on this thread now. :yum:
1 Like

Any thoughts for a new app name ?

HEBan presence

LOL noooo nothing with parts of my name !!

"HERE"

How about HeLo?
As in HE Location.

That's better......

What about HeGPS ?

Coming up with cormier names myself. The best I can think of at the moment is Hubiquity.

Everything else is too bad to even share.

1 Like

Ok this is what we know ---- version 3.0.1 works all it needs is tweaking for a new APP name and get rid of some global settings that shouldn't be touched and only allow users to add a geolocation and make everything GET so that POST is never seen or used.

So I have done all the later except for a name........ Poll post for that ?

1 Like

Any desire to honor the name "Locative" and adding "GET", too much ?
"GET-Locative"

KnockKnock
HomeAgain
LocateWe
Lokation

Not sure how possible this is, but I think you could differentiate this app from other presence apps is the addition of network presence as well into the formula.

I'm not sure what api calls are open but maybe doing the following will help reliability significantly.

• if I'm on this network (by name/IP or another method) or within a radius then mark us as being home. And if away and off the network (for x minutes) then mark as being away.

I don't think the issue is with the geolocation apps but more the devices and how they run them in the background. I've tried many geolocation apps across 3 different iphones and they all have the issue of missing a checkin/out every now and then. The only reliable solution has been mixing geolocation with network presence.

Nothing is ever 100% If you have a random miss that's just the nature of the interweb.... There is always a chance that ISP border routers go down either from a DDoS or it simply fails.

As a example all day today CenturyLink in the US has had a massive nationwide outage, mostly the west coast, due to a technician sending out a bad router config to all their border routers. This isn't the first time it has happened. 3 Years ago the Eastern side of the US lost internet because the very same reason.

A year ago a border router actually caught fire in Los Angeles causing a outage between the US and Asia.

■■■■ happens

I know this. But I doubt GPS issues in Canada are causing issues with it checking in. Geolocation on the phone for this method just isn't reliable.

I have both geolocation and network presence running now in my place on two phones and have 0 failures. If the phones are dead thats a different issue and the alarm can be disabled when the code is entered into the keypad.

@SmartHomePrimer also does the same thing and combines geolocation with network presence with high success.

I just think it would have been a nice feature to add above ever other geolocation app out there. If the phone is able to contact the hub locally and then signal that its online and present this will not only backup GPS but cut out other points of failure such as what you listed.

Just a suggestion.

2 Likes

So don't use this app. If your setup works then keep it.

All I am doing is tweaking this app for users that want to use it for their HE hub. Less settings and made for the Maker API.

1 Like

Wow that escalated quickly.

I wasn't planning to use the app. I don't have an android. I was just adding a suggestion based on what a few in the community had found to be really reliable, while at the same time trying to be a polite as possible.

But its your app. Do what you will.

Have a good day.

1 Like

Look I wasn't getting snarky -- I was pointing out what I was doing. I'm not creating a brand new app but taking one that is currently working that is open source and tweaking it so it's a bit more user friendly for the HE crowd. That is it.

Sounds good.