Use Kodi, Alexa and webcore to play music in my master bathroom

I have been asked by @djh_wolf to briefly discuss my Kodi-Alexa-webcore music setup. I have a few posts about this scattered on the HE, webcore, and ST forums. The process is pretty basic. My Kodi runs on a dedicated RPi. Very easy to set up. My entire mp3 collection (almost 8,000 songs) is on a thumb drive connected to the RPi. I have a whole-home audio system with a Russound Multi-zone Controller Amplifier and in-ceiling speakers throughout the house (not sonos). I use Alexa to play music throughout my house using specific commands (routines) that activate various webcore pistons based on type of music wanted and location within my house. So, if I am in the master bathroom, I can say "Alexa, play 80's hits in the bathroom" and the Alexa routine turns on a virtual switch that runs the following piston.

With Echo Speaks, I USED to be able to say "Alexa, play 80's hits" and my webcore code knew which room I was in based on which Echo device was spoken to, and music would play there. That functionality has since been removed by Amazon. So now I have to say which room I am in. I'm still working on a method to get that back. I have various mounted HD fire pads or buttons throughout my house to control playback and volume. Or, I just use voice commands with Alexa. The whole system works very well. I imagine that you can get the same functionality with a Sonos system (or similar).

Interesting, thanks for that.

Much appreciated. I feel the wife will still want to stick with Spotify.

/ plans divorce

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.