Use Any Temp Sensor to Control Ecobee

Oh what a conundrum...I hate the Ecobee sensors, slow response time and no battery reporting to Hubitat ($30 each now though) but to upgrade to a new system is more expensive....hmmmm.......

As mentioned earlier you could write a program that moves the thermostat set point up and down based on an external temperature. That doesn't work nearly as well, but may work well enough for you? Only you can decide that.

it doesn't work as well because if the temperature at the thermostat doesn't move the same as whatever sensor you are looking at you'll probably overshoot or undershoot and have to keep moving the set point up and down.

Fair enough.

After re-reading your post, I realized you're referring to a programmatic correction. You're right - ecobee doesn't let the user do that. So I deleted my post.

I am 2 weeks into Hubitat and have not written a program to date so, that will have to wait until to low hanging fruit is picked unfortunately.

Something to try. Might meet your needs if you have the components and devices.

Using Homebridge and HomeKit, you can trigger scenes to set your Ecobee. So you could automate in HomeKit, or HE. You can create a bit more detailed automations in the Eve. App for HomeKit.

If you chose to do all the automation in HE, you would need a temperature sensor near the Ecobee itself, since those readings wouldn’t be available in HE for automations.

Keen Vents released their own Temperature and Humidity Sensors which I haven’t tried since I already had the Ecobee Sensors for every room. You are correct as the Ecobee sensors weren’t cheap, but my house temps were all over the place until I had this Keen system in place (and especially after moving it over to HE this week.)

Has anyone tried the Keen sensors? They are much cheaper. I noticed that they almost look identical to Xiaomi sensors and wonder if it’s the same manufacturer repackaged. I’m not sure if either sends information directly back to the Ecobee thermostat or if they work with only the smart vents themselves. I also don’t know their polling rates.

https://keenhome.io/products/temp-sensor
Xiaomi Acara Temp & Humidity Sensors at Gearbest

They do not.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.