Usb-c c-8 ups

Now that we’ve got the C8 hub that uses USB-C, has anyone found a battery back up that will both charge and supply a USB-C port at the same time?

This one has long been recommended in the community here, and it's still working great with my C8.

Amazon.com: TalentCell Mini UPS Uninterrupted Power Supply 27000mAh 98Wh Lithium ion Backup Battery with DC 12V/9V/5V Output for Wireless Router, Modem, LED Light, CCTV Camera, Smartphone and More : Electronics

3 Likes

Ah yes. I see the magic search criteria on Amazon is "UPS USB" and I found a few. What is the current draw of the C-8? There are less expensive ones with smaller max amps.

Looks like 1 Amp is the draw. So I could go with a smaller and less expensive one.

That is the one I have with 3 hubs connected to it. Works great!

I have 3: modem. Router, and hubs,zen16

I have several UPS’s but nothing near where the Hubitat is. So a smaller one will work for me. Thanks guys. Really helpful.

1 Like

I haven’t been following the project but take a look at this community driven solution.

https://community.hubitat.com/t/usb-c-ups-designed-by-the-community-for-hubitat

1 Like

I really need to get back to the UPS project. My health has been rubbish this year. Thankfully I’m mostly back normal now and I’m starting to get back to projects.

5 Likes

And we're very happy to hear that. I'd err on the side of caution and rest before you start stressing yourself too much. We would much rather have you around than USB UPS hardware. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Cheers mate. I started putting my CNC machine back together today so I can prototype PCB’s again.

3 Likes

Need to make sure the USB-C output to the hub is not interrupted during the switchover when the power fails.

This is called passthrough charging. Not many companies make these although many will work but not recommended. The HE hub database can be corrupted by only a one second power interruption.

I use a dedicated RAVPower power bank with my C7 which has pass through charging and is that is one of its marketing points.

The C9 needs to have an internal battery because database corruption due to a power failure has been an issue for years.

We did this on the 1st version I made for folk. It’s quite easy with an LTC4040

Testing a USB UPS with a WOPR Clock!

2 Likes

Are these available for purchase? I would rather use your device that is designed for pass through charging.

Not ATM, i need to finish the design on the new Zigbee equipped version and test it. @JohnRob kindly offered to help me with the Zigbee side of the design, but I need to finish my side and send it to him.

PS, if you are in a hurry, you can get PCBway to build the beyond logic design for you.

Hello do you have 3 Model C-8 connected?
Are they connected on the USB?

2 are on the USB ports. For the 3rd one, I purchased a 12V to 5V converter that ends in a USB-C connector. Soldered the other end to a barrel plug that I already had.

1 Like

I ended up getting this one and have had it for a few months. Seems to work well, though we have not lost power during this time. :wink: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C4V22QZ3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That looks pretty cool w/built-in POE.

Quick test - you can just unplug it and see what happens?

Oh, yeah. I've done that for half an hour or so. Haven't seen how long it would last in a prolonged outage. But, it definitely immediately takes the load and recovers gracefully when plugged back in. No interruption of HE service at all.

2 Likes