US - NEW! iblinds Kit v3

The do work w/out S2, mine is set up w/no security and works fine.

What I'm not sure works w/out security is their OTA update feature...have not been able to get that to work from HE or from PC Controller or from HE Device FW updater.

Hal - if you've lost the booklet and don't have the code you can join S2 Unathenticated, which does not require that you have the code.

If the Security dialog appears and S2 Unathenticted is pre-checked, you can unselect any other options that are shown, and leave S2 unauthenticated selected. Then continue.

Below is the Security dialog...is Security 2 Class 0 - Unauthenticated is checked when this dialog comes up, you can use it to join the blinds to HE. Just uncheck any of the other options that are checked.

If Security 2 Class 0 - Unauthenticated isn't pre-checked when this dialog appears then it is not supported and you'll have to use one of the remaining options. Do not use Security 0, the bottom option.

Obviously just a small sample here...so far it looks like one of us is blocked due to incomaptable HW, but the rest of us are OK. I went on blind faith, and am glad I ended up OK. I think that given you can get exact measurements from us, and can compare to your blinds, you'll be in a better position...

We have above from Gary, and I'm sure either of us would be happy to provide more pics/measurements if you like. :slight_smile:

I am liking mine now that the initial setup hubub is done. My only concern is that I may have to exclude and re-include the first one I've set up to get it included w/Security, if the OTA process requires that. Still not sure on that count...

I guess that's a matter of opinion. To me having pull out the Dremel isn't "ok." by that I mean, at that point I might as well go the DIY route and save a lot of money. Their website shows a woman putting it together in 20 seconds, with zero tools. If I have to modify either the device or my blinds, that's not what they advertised in my book.

2 Likes

Admittedly, I am maybe being a little forgiving. :slight_smile:

Maybe it's just that a Dremel is so much fun that I don't think of that as a problem. :wink:

In general I agree. For me personally I have mini blinds right now, so I'd need to go out and buy new blinds anyway. The fact that they don't seem to really even list compatible blinds on their website just makes it too much of a crapshoot for me. Maybe v4! I'm going to focus on Switchbot Curtains for now! I guess for $140 for a little zwave motor I expected a bit more, but they still seem to be the best ones out there so far.

Thanks!

That was my motivating factor - I didn't see an add-on option that seemed to be as good overall.

I'm debating what to do when we do the remodel...maybe go w/an off-the shelf integrated system. Hmmm...

Theyโ€™re just soooo expensive! I wanted to go with Lutron. I have a friend who works there and can get me a huge discount and we were still looking at over $5k to do the whole house. Itโ€™s just crazy to me what they get for a little motor!

Yeah...that's getting into crazy town for those damn little motors. :slight_smile:

We are only going to automate six new blinds in the remodel area, so for us the total number of blinds is mageable - just have to convince my wife that it's worth it. She grew up very poor and even though she isn't any more she still has a lot of feelings/behaviors about spending money. As in no matter how much she has, doesn't want to spend it.

I'll probably do other existing blinds in the house w/iBlinds if things work out OK w/my two test units.

The security code numbers are on the label on the motor as is clearly stated in the instruction booklet. :no_mouth:

1 Like

Yup...

Wait, there's an instruction booklet!??!?!? :wink:

I excluded and re-paired my blinds this AM, so I could add them w/S2 security, which seems to be required for OTA FW updates.

I actually had to take the blinds off the wall and move them closer to the hub to do this. Though they originally joined fine from the window, I have been unable to get them to exclude/include from there since that original pairing.

So pulled them off the window and sat them down about 25' closer through an open doorway to the hub about 12-15' away. They excluded and paired from there successfully.

The only Security options the blind report support for are S2 Class 1 - Authenticated and S0 - Unauthenticated.

No ons should use S0 (older very "noisey" security that can fill up your mesh w/chatter), so uncheck S0 join w/S2 Authenticated.

Filled in the first five digits of the S2 code when prompted (the code is on the small instruction brochure that comes in the box as well as the bottom of the motor) when prompted and the blinds joined w/S2.

Interestingly, the single-press on the button on the charger port mysteriously started working last night. No idea why. I'm going to give the FW update another go using HE's 2.2.4 beta FW update option and see if it works now that the blinds are connected w/S2.

FYI, the hub will always use the highest security class you've granted, so in general there's no reason not to leave S0 (or any lower grants) selected when you've also chosen something higher. Checking the lower ones does enable you to use the device with another Z-Wave device that uses Z-Wave Association (so doesn't go through the hub) and supports only those classes, so if by chance you have something like an S0-only remote/button device you want to use to directly control the blinds, you'd actually want to leave that checked. But in most cases, I suppose it won't matter.

Unfortunately, the time where this matters the most--when you have an S0-only device that also doesn't have separate process to include it without security--then there's nothing you can do (without third-party hardware to join the device, I suppose), since you don't get this popup in the first place unless there's S2 at all. :slight_smile:

I've also never seen a device that requires security for firmware updates, but I also haven't used many 700-series devices (which these are) yet, so maybe there's something new...

PS - UPS looks like they delivered my v3 unit today. After I (struggle to?) get them installed somewhere, I'll be curious what I think!

Thanks for this additional info. Not an issue for me, not doing direct associations so I won't have to worry about this. :slight_smile: Are you also saying that if you join the device w/S2 and S0 checked that the S0 noisey/chatty issue won't happen?

Yeah, I didn't expect that, but I had tried a FW udpate from HE using the new vesion of the Device FW Updater included in the 2.2.4 beta, and from PC Controller using UZB stick twice, all three times I got "success" results but the FW never updated. iBlinds didn't explicitly say I had to have S2 to do the update, but when I asked if security is required for OTA they said below somewhat cryptically - not exactly saying specifically yes, S2 is required for FW update, but making it sound like it is. I asked for clarification but haven't heard back.

[iBlinds support]The iblinds should be included with at least one security option, S2 or S0.

Also, I have been unable to get the 2.2.4 beta Device FW Updater to connect to iBlinds to try the FW update. It worked once on .134 or .135, hasn't been able to connect to the iblinds since, get below error when connected both with and w/out security. A bit frustrating...

I'd be interested to know if you are going to make any updates to your driver after you see what's up/new w/the V3, and also if you can get the HE Device FW Updater to talk to your iBlinds. :slight_smile:

Just talking w/@bcopeland and his blinds show FW version 10.14.

Mine show 3.01.

Really appreciate it if you guys w/blinds installed can post the FW version shown on the Device page for your blinds.

Bryan's: 10.14

Mine: 3.01

@bertabcd1234, @Hal3, @zacs, @gassgs - Can you tell/show what your iBlinds FW version is?

I seem to recall you were using my v2 driver, which does not populate these fields with the device's firmware version (partly because I didn't know how to do it when I wrote that driver, which I'll probably update after I get my v3, but also because it doesn't matter--v2 can't do OTA updates, anway). Have you tried checking by using either the Basic Z-Wave Tool or the "communtiy" Z-Wave firmware updater, doing a getVersionReport(), and seeing what gets spit out in the logs? Or if you have PC Controller, you can retrieve that information there, too. Basically, anything besides this "Data" area where some things come from the hub but some (can) come from the driver, firmware version being one of the latter if at all--just to see if things really did update.

PS - But yes, I'll also check mine as soon as I get it installed. :smiley:

Thanks for your reply. I'm actually using Bryan's v3 driver currently since I reincluded w/S2. The v3 blinds default to that driver, and I felt best to leave it on the built-in v3 driver for testing.

So I am getting FW reported as 3.01, and PC Controller reported the same version when I tried to do FW update via PC Controller. So I'm pretty confident that is the current FW version I have.

Thanks for checking yours once it's installed. :slight_smile:

Here's me: