US - NEW! iblinds Kit v3

Thanks. I have a couple of the 3.1 devices I "beta'd" as well, and wasn't aware that was one of their improvements. I didn't want anyone to know, but now it's out there that I have small blinds. How embarrassing. :wink:

No binding, Calibration goes from point to point no problem. But it doesn't respect it's own calibration. I'm going to try another unit to see if it does the same thing.

1 Like

Bizarre...never seen anything like that. I assume you've tried factory reset?

Yep

What do you mean by that?

It won't close to more than 30 percent and barely moves to 50.

Did you find out what firmware version your iBlinds devices are on?

I'm on 3.11

@danabw thanks for looping me in.

Issue:
In a previous FW version, we added motor protection that stopped the motor when the max current threshold was exceeded. We later learned that this can occasionally cause a problem with larger/heavier blinds that will sometimes present a temporary current spike as they move to their target values.

Solution:
In the latest FW v3.12 we added a spike detection to prevent false positives and keep the blinds moving until the target value has been reached.

@rlithgow1 upgrading to the latest firmware version v3.12 will solve your problem

1 Like

To discover if your switches are beaming capable you can check the Z-Wave Alliance Products page.

Find your product on the list. Check the product conformance statement and there you will discover if it supports beaming or not.

As @wayne.pirtle mentioned beaming is needed for FLiRS devices. iblinds is a Frequently Listening Routing Slave (FLiRS) Z-Wave device that is battery-powered. They wake up every second to check if there is a message waiting for them and beaming capable devices can cache commands and repeat them when the iblinds device wakes up. Good news most newer repeaters support beaming. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks very much, @Eric_iblinds! Good to have a vendor like iBlinds w/people like Eric who know their stuff. :slight_smile:

@chris6 - how are things going? Have you been able to exclude/re-join your blinds w/out security, and now that you know how to check for beaming support, do your devices support beaming?

Thanks for the reply @Eric_iblinds. Should I just use my z-wave stick and the sdk to do the update or is there another preferred method?

Also these are the blinds we have https://www.homedepot.com/s/1002-409-497?NCNI-5

1 Like

Lazy-man's way is using the FW updater app built into Hubitat. I've updated my blinds using that method...best to "wake" the blinds before starting by opening/closing them.

You can also use the UZB stick method, that has worked well for me also. Really up to you...

If your blinds are joined w/S2 it will be slower as the transfer rate is impacted (slowed) by S2.

2 Likes

Ah, ok. Now I know why I'm not seeing that popup. I'm on a C-5 device.

1 Like

Thanks Eric! This was helpful. It looks like all of my wall switches have beaming technology.

1 Like

I have a C-5, so I don' t think the security thing is an issue for now.

For the last day or two, I've been sending a 'refresh' command and then an open/close command, and both blinds seem to be staying connected. I know that is probably not a real fix, but I am afraid to just send an open/close command without 'waking up the blind', because that's what seems to be breaking them. By breaking them, i mean I think the blinds are up, but they (or the Hubitat) think that they are all caught up with the last requests. Not sure that makes sense.

I'll probably mess around with just sending open/close commands sometime this weekend.

I'll also try to upgrade the firmware. I have the V3.1 blinds and am on V3.11 of the firmware. I'll go to 3.12 and see if that helps.

Thanks for all the help everyone! I'll keep you posted.

1 Like

Sounds good.

I'm probably a bit confused about which driver you are using, but if you haven't yet, I think you should also consider trying Robert's iBlinds driver.

1 Like

In my case I "think" the 3.12 driver solved my issue. Will follow up

3 Likes

@chris6 , thanks for the update. I think you may be on to something with the refresh to wake the blind motor before sending an open/close command. Please keep us posted with your findings.

Out of curiosity do you have any delay between the refresh and the open/close command or is the open-close sent immediately after?

@rlithgow1 . Good news. Thanks for the update and keep us posted.

2 Likes