Upgraded to C8. Switch is now not triggering rules but rule runs with Alexa

HI,

I upgraded from a C5 to C8 hub. Since the update, I have had an issue with my Kitchen Light Switch running a rule via Rule Machine.

I have a main kitchen light, 2 pendant lights, and under counter lights. The main kitchen light switch was set to turn on or off the other lights as well when used.
After the upgrade, this no longer worked by physically pushing the rocker on the wall. It only controls the main kitchen light it is wired to. The weird thing is, it responds correctly to Alexa and clicking the tile on the dashboard.

I originally had this setup in Rule Machine Legacy, so when it didn't work I recreated it in the Rule Machine. Same Results.

Rule: Kitchen Lights Sync Off
Set Trigger Events > Kitchen Light turns off
Select Actions to Run > Off Kitchen Counter Lights, Kitchen Cabinet Lights

Rule: Kitchen Lights Sync On
Set Trigger Events > Kitchen Light turns on
Select Actions to Run > On Kitchen Counter Lights, Kitchen Cabinet Lights

I removed all the rules I had made, and Alexa and Dashboard Tile control stopped controlling the other device. I re-added, and it all works "Virtually". Physical switch still fails to trigger rule.

Any ideas?

Could you turn on logging for the rules, turn the switch on/off and post the output from the logs?

2 Likes

Hi,

Thank you for responding.

Here is a Screenshot of the Rule Machine rules

I then turned the Kitchen Light switch ON and off via the Dashboard.

When I turned the switch on and off physically at the switch, nothing was recorded. So I went around to my other switches and nothing was being record from those as well. None on my outlets or switches show in the logs. All of them at Jasco GE Z-wave switches.

The log shows all of the door & windows z-wave sensors, z-wave smoke alarm, Schlage Lock, Lifx, and Hue bulbs.

Here is a screenshot of the Kitchen Switch settings as well.

I am not sure why the switches no longer log (Or maybe connect) when used physically, but works perfectly fine digitally? This setup has been used for years since the C5 came out.

What if you used the built in mirror app?

That said, I notice you have the generic z-wave switch driver. Is it a z-wave only switch or a plus switch? If plus for giggle switch to the generic z-wave plus switch driver, click save, then configure.

2 Likes

Hi,

I did not know about the mirror app. Thanks. I added that app.
It obviously wont work until the hub sees physical switch commands, which I am stumped on.

Most of these are the old Jasco Ge switch (Switches/Dimmers/Outlets/ Plug in modules) that were the models before Z-Wave Plus came out. I have a few newer switches mixed in that are plus. I have used the generic drive for the GE switches for years and never had an issue.
s-l500

I think the issue is that these are Z-Wave (non-plus) switches, so they won’t report their status to the hub. Polling will be required for this. There is a built-in Z-Wave Polling app that will do this automatically, and should resolve the issue, though there will be a small delay until the switch is polled.

2 Likes

I could believe that, but they worked perfect for over 3 years before the migration to C8

Not to muddy the water but I have this same thing going on with zigbee lights that trigger in one case via motion sensor and in the other a switch. so not sure its a issue with his switch. they all worked fine on the C5 have been fighting squirrelly lighting issues for over a week now since I upgraded to the C8. 9 out of 10 times asking alexa to turn the light on works while the switch or motion sensor does not. but sometimes the switches and motion sensor do work. Its a very annoying intermittent issue.

did you have the poller app running on your old one?

No. My setup was very simple. Basically just rule machine, and integration to Alexa, Hue and Lfx

If those are not z-wave plus they won't report properly. Install the poller app

2 Likes

I would turn on logging in my rules if I had a similar issue to try to get to the root of the issue, to see what is happening in the background.

yep I did that when it first started. I see the commands all the way up to them sending the on/off command to the light. but the light just doesn't respond. I'm a bit stumped but I don't want to hijack a thread I just wanted to let nuevoltuion that they weren't alone.

2 Likes

So I installed the Z-wave polling app on my C8. It did help with the issue but is very slow and creates a ton of traffic.

I plugged my old C5 hub back in to check the drivers and settings.
I open the logs and physically pressed the switches. The log response was instant and the rule machine actions were instant.
old hub physical
(When device 7 is turned on, device 8 & 9 turn on. When device 7 is turned off, device 8 & 9 turn off. For some reason it doesn't show device 9 turn on only 8, but does show it turn off. Maybe something with the rule machine command? I confirmed it is physically working correctly).

Same devices on both hubs, with Generic Z-Wave Switch driver, and the C8 doesn't work. I wonder if the built in Generic Z-Wave Switch driver is different? It doesn't list a driver number for either.

So for now, I am back on my C5 hub, with my Jasco Z-Wave (Not Z-Wave Plus) switches/outlets/dimmers, No Poller App, and everything works perfect.

Turn down the polling.

the Poller is just a Band-Aid IMO. I never had it on the C5, with the same JASCO switches and it worked.

I feel like something changed on the generic drier or with the C8 itself.

No. non plus z-wave has always needed to be polled for status. This is why the poller was created in the first place. When the Lutron patent expired, Z-wave plus gained the ability to push status changes. It's a bandaid for non plus devices. Maybe @bcopeland can chime in.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.