Upgraded from c3 to c8 pro and having iris pairing issues

When the C8 came out, I was tickled to death that there was a new device with new technology that would likely support matter in the future. I bought one. Then the first thing I tried was to join an Enbrighten switch with it and it wouldn't work. I pursued that for days, even sending it in for evaluation. I got it back, with the explanation that it had to be interference. I live in a rural area where I can't even see other wifi networks around me, so I doubt that was the problem. I even unplugged the C7 I had when testing with the C8.

So, in my case, I had a number of expensive devices that worked fine with the C7 that the C8 wouldn't talk to. But I continued anyway, maybe I could figure it out. When I tried to join one of my Iris V1 devices using the button that was clearly on the 'Add a device' menu, it didn't work, regardless of many tries. That was a real disappointment. I continued trying to get it integrated into my house for a while updating the hub and hoping for a fix, but instead, the button for Iris V1 disappeared. After finding the answer from another disappointed user on the forum, I just gave up.

Home assistant came to my rescue, and operates totally locally on a cheap Intel NUC that has way more power and capabilities for much less money. The C8 is gathering dust in the corner and will likely be on ebay soon for a good price. The C7 is a Zigbee gateway, soon to be replaced as I phase out the Iris devices one at a time at my convenience.

Hubitat may have existed before Lowes dropped the Iris and a substantial number of customers along with it, but what attracted a lot of people to the device was a route for those impacted by Lowes to continue to use their investment. I think that boost is inarguable, and definitely attracted a lot of new customers that were reeling from having their money wasted by a corporate decision.

So, call me a liar if you wish, but others have been attracted to Hubitat for exactly the same reason, and they were, and still are disappointed that the announcement and early advertising didn't say anything about the C8 not supporting the Iris devices. There was even a button for it that didn't work.

I found another solution that opens more doors than the Hubitat closed, and was cheaper as well. I consider my experience, and expense with the C8 as an eye-opening educational experience.

I don't think I'll be considering the newest 'Pro' version.

Can you provide a documentation link to the HASS integration/component that provides Iris v1 support?

6 Likes

If you're speaking to me, I never said HA supports Iris V1. I did say I was going to use the Hubitat as a Zigbee Gateway until I replace my Iris devices on my own schedule.

Many of you are really missing the real point here.
Someone said to me recently "You can take an ordinary wall switch and in 30 years it will still be working. In fact many light switches are over 30 years old and still work". The same can't be said about Home Automation. It has become a throw away society. Hubitat won't be around in 30 years.
BTW my two C7 are being used to control my many Iris V1's.
I too am moving to Home Assistant for a number of very good reasons.

Later gator....

So why are you here? Just to argue or bash hubitat?

2 Likes

Well as repeatedly stated, V2 is fine, v1 is not. That said, considering that the iris v1's are NOT compatible with Zigbee 3.0 on ANY platform because of the mandated compliance of even zigbee 1.2 devices, somehow that's Hubitat's fault? Are you saying that Hubitat should never update their hardware to take advantage of modern protocols and simply keep putting out older specs just to maintain backwards compatibility and new stuff be damned? People don't seem to understand that they can simply keep their old hubitat to use with incompatible devices and use hub mesh. It reminds me of the kerfuffle with Schlage locks being removed from the official compatibility list. So many people were angry not understanding that it was totally a Schlage issue and their firmware not being updated on their locks which would have solved most of the issues. But again, somehow that's Hubitat's fault. Like it's if I buy an 2024 F-150 lighting and the accessories I purchased for my 2021 version aren't compatible I should be mad? I mean... It's a person's personal decision to move on to something else. Personally I just think people are being babies about it.

4 Likes

For the exact reason that started this thread. To save others from making mistakes and to inform them that Hubitat is no longer as good as it started and that they might be wise to pick another automation system.

I would never buy another Ford. My dually diesel blew its EGR. A totally known issue by Ford. No recall no warnings. Just a POS..... Going to cost me almost $10,000 to repair.
I'll never buy another Ford either!!!

Again, Hubitat did not support Iris v1 devices when it launched (January 2018) as is implied by this statement.

5 Likes

Your Iris v1 devices are hopelessly antiquated in 2024. Iris released them around 2012. Lowe's shut down the entire Iris platform in 2020 as it was no longer viable. In the computer world, Microsoft supports a Windows version for 10 years and then expects people to move on to updated software, even if it means replacing older hardware that is incompatible with that new software.

As Zigbee moves to version 3.0 to implement new and improved features, older hardware such as the Iris V1 plugs that were not fully compatible with Zigbee 1.2 got left behind. The solution is to update your hardware to Zigbee 3.0 standards. You cannot expect Hubitat to keep supporting obsolete hardware. If the Iris V1 plugs supported Zigbee 1.2 than they would still be viable. The problem is with Iris, not with Hubitat.

The Iris V1 smartplugs cost a lot more 10 years ago that Zigbee 3.0 smartplugs do today. I would suggest you replace your obsolete Iris plugs with Third Reality Zigbee 3.0 plugs. They are well supported by Hubitat and available drivers. You can get them with or without power monitoring. If you do not need power monitoring, the less expensive version minimizes network traffic.

https://www.amazon.com/THIRDREALITY-Real-time-Monitoring-Compatible-SmartThings/dp/B09KNDM4VV

3 Likes

I assume you are referring to Iris v1 devices, correct? All Iris v2 Zigbee devices (motion, contact, leak, outlet) work great with all models of Hubitat hubs.

As for the cost of replacing your old Iris v1 devices - Lowes reimbursed its users for those devices and for the cost of the Iris hub when they shut down Iris years ago. Thus, there really is no cost hit to v1 users - they were already compensated by Lowes.

I personally gobbled up a whole bunch of Iris v2 devices after Lowes shut down the Iris platform. These devices were all OEM'd by Centralite and they work great!

12 Likes

I forgot about that!

So this is an example of having your cake and eating it too on the part of all those Iris V1 users who are crying foul because the C-8 dropped support for such devices.

8 Likes

Of course, there were some non-Iris users who chose to buy obsolete v1 sensors after the demise of Iris. Those folks are still able to use those devices with the Hubitat C3-C7 hubs. Nothing has been 'taken away' from them, IMHO. The fact that the C8 and C8 Pro is not able to support those devices due to the Zigbee radio chipset change, is just unfortunate. But, they knew something like this could happen when they chose to buy obsolete, non-standard Iris v1 Zigbee devices.

4 Likes

I didn't buy a C8. My C7's are doing the job I bought them for in the first place.
Eventually I might replace my Iris devices but I do not have a reason to do that.
If one wants Iris V1 pairing then get the C7. It's better for that type of automation anyway.

3 Likes

This topic has been marked as solved. The ongoing debate isn't going to change the fundamental property of hubs with newer zigbee 3.0 radios being unable to support obsolete Iris V1 devices.

Not exactly my point. Replace ford with whatever favorite vehicle...

1 Like