Upgrade Rule 5.0 to 5.1 in 2.2.9?

With 2.2.9, will it help if I upgrade my Rules from 5.0 to 5.1? If yes, how can i upgrade?

1 Like

RM 5.1 is more efficient and faster, but as there is no way to upgrade except for rewriting the rule. When I ask the same the response was it's probably not worth it.

2 Likes

oh thats sad. I thought, maybe if I just open, click update, and save it might update, but that did not work.

Perhaps there is some way to export, the rule and import it back to upgrade to 5.1?

Nope. The 5.0 rules will continue to work, so they never spend time on the complex issue of upgrading the rule.

3 Likes

No, there is not. People get hung up on this for false reasons. There is no reason to upgrade any existing rule. It will continue to work, continue to be editable, and be clonable, etc. It is a false concept that there is some advantage to upgrading old rules -- there is NO advantage. For many people, upgrading rules is an OCD thing, like I'm missing out on something if I don't upgrade. You're not missing out. If you want to take advantage of new features in 5.1 that weren't in 5.0, that's not something that implies needing to upgrade a 5.0 rule, that's something that suggests you should create a new 5.1 rule to utilize those new features.

5 Likes

Hubitat Elevation® Platform Version = 2.2.8.156

Are Scenes dependent on it being created in HE? I'm using a CoCoHue scene and not seeing an Activate Scenes selection in RM 5.0?

Scenes in your screenshot refers to the Groups and Scenes app, to Scene-1.2 app instances in particular. That is what is meant here. Scenes in other systems are not available to this app.

1 Like

Thank you for the clarification.

Thanks for the confirmation that upgrading to 5.1 should not matter for existing rules. For me, this is not an OCD thing, but my question was if my existing Rules was benefit. I understand from your response now that I should be fine.

But it is responses such as comment #2 from @damianm which cause us to rethink. The comment #2 said that 5.1 is more "efficient and faster", and hence people would think that if they have some long, complicated rule, then perhaps move them to 5.1 would just reduce the load on the hub or just make that rule a tad bit faster. I see from your response now that this is not the case though.

2 Likes

I'm confused. Did RM 5 become 5.1? I only see rule manager and rule manager legacy available.

If you create a new rule with Rule Machine, it will be Rule 5.1. Older rules still work too.

1 Like

I suppose this is a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway.

Is it possible to export a rule 5 rule and import it into rule 5.1?

No, and no reason to. see this.

To add to the response above, use Control Switches, Push Buttons > Push a button to activate the CoCoHue scene (specify 1 for the button number). You could also use "Turn switches on," as the CoCoHue scene activator device exposes both switch and button capabilities--they are available to apps like Rule Machine either way, though the button method is my preference.

Thank you.

Thank you all for your feedback. We have taken your input for future consideration. For now, if you'd like to use the features that 5.1 version has to offer, please build a new rule. Existing rules created with previous versions will continue to run as expected.