Updating Z-Wave radio on C-7 hubs after version 2.3.8.122

No longer sure of the order of operations, but all of the Devices were missing after the latest Restore attempt. :slightly_frowning_face:

Rather than struggling with it further, I just recreated the Devices, and am back to a functional state. I was reluctant to go down this road, figuring it might require a bunch of switch covers to be unscrewed and so on to reinitialize, but it turned out that most of my switches & dimmers (Homeseer) just need a quick tap to re-Include them.

As this is a new house, (I brought most of my Z-Wave wall devices with me from my old house), I hadn’t created a ton of automations/rules, so recreating them won’t be a huge task.

1 Like

Did you reset the zwave radio first before re-including everything? If not you probably have a bunch of dead ghost nodes now which may cause problems eventually.

All nodes on the z-wave details should have a device listed in the device column.

1 Like

Yes, I eventually reset the radio after giving up on getting a Restore to work. After downgrading to 7.15, all of the Z-Wave nodes reappeared, and when re-including them, they assumed the ID of the old Device, so it doesn’t seem that I have any ghost nodes. Phew!

1 Like

Any suggestions on how to update the z-wave radio on this C-7?

Currently on the latest OS firmware but z-wave radio is 7.15 as follows
VersionReport(zWaveLibraryType:7, zWaveProtocolVersion:7, zWaveProtocolSubVersion:11, firmware0Version:7, firmware0SubVersion:0, hardwareVersion:1, firmwareTargets:1, targetVersions:[[target:1, version:7, subVersion:15]])

There is a 'Firmware Update' button on the z-wave page and when I click it a popup window says 'Press Update Firmware below to start update',

When you click 'Update Firmware' another window pops up that says 'Update z-wave firmware now? This may tale 10-15 minutes.'

When you click 'Yes' it changes to the original popup and says 'Started...'

But then the 'Started...' disappears and the 'Press Update Firmware below to start update' returns and nothing happens.

Any solutions to this?

I had exactly the same problem.
I did have some interaction with the HE guys but nothing was resolved. They did indicate that my logs were showing the ZW radio was crashing. As I was not using z-wave on the hub in question I gave up pursuing the issue.

Run this endpoint, once it says it worked then try running it again and make sure it took. Then do a shut down and unplug for 30 seconds, reboot and try the firmware update again.
yourHubIP*/hub/advanced/installZipgateway715

If I am reading that correctly I think your gateway is on 7.11 (unless that is the firmware, I always forget which is which in that list) so possibly updating it to 7.15 will allow it to work.

If you get the firmware updated you will then want to update the gateway to 718

Full instructions here: Updating Z-Wave radio on C-7 hubs after version 2.3.8.122

1 Like

When I run: yourHubIP*/hub/advanced/installZipgateway715

I get: already running v7.15

When I check the version number it says v7.15.4

Steps 3-6 do not work because as mentioned in previous post I can not get past 4.

1. Reboot the hub from Settings
  2. Go to Z-Wave Details page, then select Update Firmware to install "Z-Wave and Z-Wave Long Range 700/800 SDK 7.18.1.0"
  3. Go to: yourHubIP*/hub/advanced/installZipgateway718
  4. Reboot the hub from Settings

You could try doing a reboot with Advanced > Rebuild DB

You could also try rolling back the hub to platform 2.3.6 which is before they started having an issue with it updating.

To roll back use this endpoint to download the firmware
/hub/advanced/downloadPlatform/236

Then in the diagnostic tool use the Restore Previous.... button to install it.

If I roll back to 2.3.6 can I update the z-wave radio to 7.18.1 from 2.3.6.146 before doing any other hub version updates?

Yes, roll back then try the z-wave firmware right away from there.

So I rolled back to 2.3.6.146 and turned it off and restarted. Then went to z-wave and clicked on the update.

It says 'started...'
Then

Z-Wave Firmware Update
Z-Wave Updater: Firmware is not able to be updated

The z-wave version is the same as before the rollback.
VersionReport(zWaveLibraryType:7, zWaveProtocolVersion:7, zWaveProtocolSubVersion:11, firmware0Version:7, firmware0SubVersion:0, hardwareVersion:1, firmwareTargets:1, targetVersions:[[target:1, version:7, subVersion:15]])

Try sending a PM to @support_team

You might have to get it to 7.15 first (I think its on 7.11 right now). Sometimes you cannot make large jumps with the z-wave firmware. Not sure if rolling back the platform further would allow it to do the 7.15 update, and I am also not sure what platform might include that version.

Do you have anything on this hub? You could always try going back to something like 2.3.0 if there is nothing to lose on the hub.

1 Like

It is already running 7.15.

If I run /hub/advanced/installZipgateway715
It returns 'already running v7.15'.

What are your thoughts on a full reset then start from scratch it will want to update to the latest firmware at the beginning and maybe i can update the z-wave before I load my saved db?

Do you have hub protect? A full reset wipes your radios which can only be restored from a cloud backup. Also, the full reset will break your subscriptions.

A soft reset wont wipe the radios?
It will start from fresh unless you chose to load a backup.
If I choose new setup then before adding anything try to update the z-wave.
If it works then load a backup db then.

For info this is how my zwave stack ended up.

@net.sheriff yes a soft reset would be safe, you originally said a full reset.

@bobbles you still need to run the endpoint to update the ZIP Gateway to 7.18 then you are fully updated. Sometimes you have to run it multiple times (and then reboot) for it to take.

Well mine is a mish mash as well and I can not seem to get it to update correctly.

It currently sits as this:
VersionReport(zWaveLibraryType:7, zWaveProtocolVersion:7, zWaveProtocolSubVersion:11, firmware0Version:7, firmware0SubVersion:0, hardwareVersion:1, firmwareTargets:1, targetVersions:[[target:1, version:7, subVersion:18]])

zWaveProtocolSubVersion:11, should say 18
firmware0SubVersion:0, should say 18

Although it is working and showing installed z-wave devices.

Any more suggestions on how to fix this?

My only other thought was to go way back to something like 2.3.0, as I suggested above.
Just was worried what it might do to the hub database. But you are correct you could take and save a backup prior, do a soft reset, try the firmware update, then restore the backup after you have updated the platform again. I will look in the release notes and see when they published the 7.15 update.

2.2.3 had a C7 firmware update (I think this would have been the 7.15 update which you need): Release Notes: 2.2.3 | Hubitat Documentation OR Release 2.2.3 Available You could try getting that platform.

Found where they added 7.18.1 Z-Wave FW: Release 2.3.4 Available

Also be sure not to download too many older platforms at once, always want to make sure a current one stays in the diag tool list in case you get stuck you can get back to current.