Updating Z-Wave radio on C-7 hubs after version 2.3.8.122

Uhg :disappointed:

I did:

and got this:

No clue what I should do from here.

This shouldn't be this hard...

It isn't. :wink: Just hit yes and let the hub reboot. The Rebuild and Purge options were added to the reboot process a while back, and are not related to the Z-Wave updates. If you chose them neither would negatively affect you.

3 Likes

What is the guidance for a C-7 that is still running 2.3.7 (thank goodness!)?

i.e. if the issues with 2.3.8 are ever resolved, what is the recommended order of updates:

• Z/IP Gateway SDK
  • Z-Wave firmware
  • Hubitat platform update

or

• Z-Wave firmware
  • Z/IP Gateway SDK

or

I think you may have misunderstood some of the posts. There are no 2.3.8 issues that are not resolved. On the contrary, 2.3.8 has resolved problems that have been discovered in 2.3.7.

I suggest this order:

• Z-Wave firmware (the button is missing in 2.3.7. However, the latest firmware was released in late 2022, so chances are that you've already updated).
  • Z/IP Gateway SDK (once updated to latest version, go to the following end point: yourHubIP*/hub/advanced/installZipgateway718)
4 Likes

Thanks for the suggested order.

Those are known issues identified in 2.3.8, but not introduced with 2.3.8 release. They existed prior to 2.3.8. In any case, they all have been addressed in 2.3.8.128 update.

1 Like

Hi. Sorry I'm late to the party but what are the instructions for updating Z-Wave firmware on C-7 hubs running 2.3.8.128?

On my Settings > Z-Wave Details screen I have the ‘Firmware Update’ button but when clicked I get ‘Z-Wave Updater: ERROR. This firmware target is not upgradable’.

The above instructions provided by @bobbyD fail at step 2:
MYHubIP*/hub/advanced/installZipgateway715
with error: 'already running v7.15'

Thanks in advance!
Richard

Continue onto Step 3 ...

1 Like

Haha so sorry when I got 'already running v7.15' I took that as an error (was expecting a downgrade Z/IP Gateway message) so I didn't try any further steps.

After the firmware download and finally saying no to a never ending loop of 'Upgrade firmware?' Yes/No my Z-Wave Firmware and Z/IP Gateway are now both successfully upgraded, thank you.

2 Likes

I am having the same issue after I upgraded from 2.3.8.118 to 2.3.8.134, and lost everything Z-wave—even the hub is not shown in the Z-wave topology. Help!

I'm sorry to say that the issue has never been resolved. I did have some interaction with @bobbyD but it has gone a bit quiet. This is probably because I have no z-wave devices connected and I didn't pursue the issue.
My z-wave status on this hub is currently.

I forgot to mention that I did a test inclusion of a device with the radio/SDK in this state and I could do it OK and the device worked OK.

Please confirm what version hub you have.

First thing to try is:

1. Settings>Shut Down to shut down the hub
  2. Pull power from the hub (best if from the wall plug) for 30s
  3. Plug back in and boot up.

Your Z-Wave Devices should appear on the Settings>Z-Wave Details page and work normally.

Report your results after the shut-down/pull power/restart.

1 Like

When you do this:

• hubIPaddress/hub/advanced/zipgatewayVersion

You should get below. What do you get?

And this:

• hubIPaddress/hub/zwaveVersion

Should get this response:

VersionReport(zWaveLibraryType:7, zWaveProtocolVersion:7, zWaveProtocolSubVersion:18, firmware0Version:7, firmware0SubVersion:18, hardwareVersion:1, firmwareTargets:1, targetVersions:[[target:1, version:7, subVersion:18]])

Not sure what you mean by "The issue was never resolved."

1 Like

As you can see from the screenshot above, I get
VersionReport(zWaveLibraryType:7, zWaveProtocolVersion:7, zWaveProtocolSubVersion:18, firmware0Version:7, firmware0SubVersion:18, hardwareVersion:1, firmwareTargets:1, targetVersions:[[target:1, version:7, subVersion:15]])

I follow the process through and on the last steps, when I press the update firmware button on the z-wave page, it all just hangs and z-wave is unresponsive.
From the engineering logs z-wave crashes and does not recover.
I decided to just stop before the final step.
(This is as I remember by the way. It was a couple of weeks ago and is not critical so I just didn't bother following up).

This was through PM's between myself and Bobby D. It just didn't go anywhere.
Like I said, no big issue as I don't use z-wave on this hub and was just updating to get it on the latest.

1 Like

Interesting...thanks for the summary.

You might want to follow up w/Bobby at some point just in case you want/need to do Z-Wave on the hub, or get to the point where you might want to sell it. I know Bobby loves a mystery... :wink:

2 Likes

I did as suggested, and now I am at 2.3.8.134, with Z-Wave version reporting

VersionReport(zWaveLibraryType:7, zWaveProtocolVersion:7, zWaveProtocolSubVersion:17, firmware0Version:7, firmware0SubVersion:17, hardwareVersion:1, firmwareTargets:1, targetVersions:[[target:1, version:7, subVersion:18]])

All of my Z-Wave nodes now appear in the topology, but none of them are associated with a Device. See screenshot:

I’ve restored from a recent backup, but this doesn’t do the trick. I have about a dozen devices so far, so is there a way to get them back, short of manually excluding/including them all?

Try clearing your Z-Wave radio. Shut down your hub, then pull power from the hub, wait about 30 seconds, and then restore power. What was the deal

Something is not updated all the way. Should be like this, all 7.18

VersionReport(zWaveLibraryType:7, zWaveProtocolVersion:7, zWaveProtocolSubVersion:18, firmware0Version:7, firmware0SubVersion:18, hardwareVersion:1, firmwareTargets:1, targetVersions:[[target:1, version:7, subVersion:18]])

Now sure how this managed to happen? Are the devices still on the "devices" list in the hub?
Check the DNI on some of them, they should match the Node numbers (the hex code). That is how the hub matches the devices with the z-wave node.

Just doing updates should not be able to get things in this state. You would have to do a soft reset or force remove devices.

No longer sure of the order of operations, but all of the Devices were missing after the latest Restore attempt. :slightly_frowning_face:

Rather than struggling with it further, I just recreated the Devices, and am back to a functional state. I was reluctant to go down this road, figuring it might require a bunch of switch covers to be unscrewed and so on to reinitialize, but it turned out that most of my switches & dimmers (Homeseer) just need a quick tap to re-Include them.

As this is a new house, (I brought most of my Z-Wave wall devices with me from my old house), I hadn’t created a ton of automations/rules, so recreating them won’t be a huge task.

1 Like