Updating Firmware on Zooz devices

Last night, @jtp10181 helped me identify an issue I was experiencing with my Zooz switches in a 3-4 way setup. It turned out that the issue is fixed in the latest firmware from Zooz.

I just updated my first ZEN27 using the built in Device Firmware Updater in my Hubitat C7.

The app said the process was complete.

The switch was not responsive to any commands from Hubitat and said it had 22 pending changes. The firmware version was not update in the device information. I pulled the air gap on the switch and there was no change.

In order to get the switch recognized again, I had to exclude it and include it. Then, I had the same switch in Hubitat twice. One that works showing the firmware update and the original one.

After that, I used the Swap Apps Device in the settings panel in Hubitat. Finally, I forced deleted the old instance of the switch. Everything appears to be working as intended now.

Do I have to go through this for every switch I update the firmware on? Is there something I am missing to make this process less painful?

Thanks!

I gave you this link in the other thread, you must have missed it. There is another option using the Zwave replace which is a little less painful and wont have the chance of making stuck ghost nodes. Also, possibly just running a CONFIGURE would bring it back to life.

3 Likes

I have not done a Zooz upgrade but I've done plenty of Aeon upgrades over the years. Aeon asks that you power cycle the device to begin using the new firmware. Certainly it's possible for the upgrade to do an internal reboot, but I have no idea what Zooz does... However, that would certainly be my first guess.. that the device needs an air gap pull at the very least. After it comes back, which might be several seconds, I'd expect it to be either 1) able to reconnect to the mesh, or 2) be factory reset and in need of re-Joining. My first response to re-Join, would be to REPLACE it vs Exclude then Include then Swap. I have had really good results with REPLACE, although I have hear plenty of others say it flat out doesn't work. (I did one this morning, for example... worked first try.)

I missed it. Reading your thread now. Thank you!

I beleve zooz will frequently require you to exclude and then add the device back for everything to show up properly.

1 Like

Thanks @jtp10181 ! Once again, you came through. Your process worked perfectly. It's about as painless as I think it can get. It would be nice if we didn't have to physically interact with the switches but this is much better than what I did initially.

Thanks again!

I have noticed on some of the newer stuff the device only loses its Lifeline association so depending on what driver is being used, just running a Configure may get it working again. I Know I have done this on a few Zooz devices, it was possibly only the 7x model switches and other 700 series stuff that it worked for. They probably realized how much of a pain it is for the device to factory reset after an update and stopped doing it that way.

2 Likes

I've done a ton of the zooz 700 series fw upgrades... I do find it can be easier with a paired USB stick and PC controller (though on C8 this might be a non issue now)

and yes after updating - whether through the hub tool or external I've always needed to futz with a bit, i.e. go to the device page and hit configure, save settings, save device ~ check it maybe do again if it doesnt take - real stubborn one might need power cycled - but I have not needed to reset

It appears I have a ghost device.. It may be the first switch I tried to upgrade today, but I'm not sure.

Yeah looks like it was removed from the devices list but not the zwave table.

I updated a handful of Zooz dimmers today and used replace on all of them but had issues with a few. None of them would do anything until power cycled. Some needed an exclude first before the replace would complete.

Not finding the details here and another thread, before doing the first one, I mistakenly included it after an airgap and device configure didn't bring it back. I ended up excluding it and using the refresh/replace option and it came right back in.

I have a couple Zen26 that don't have airgap so I had to trip their breakers. One of those is 2 flights down and I didn't want to go mobile so beating the timer was fun.

It's a bit infuriating and perplexing that installing a new firmware and "rebooting" a switch doesn't bring it back online.

I have more Zooz to do, and some Inovelli to do as well. It will be interesting to see how they respond.

I think they have fixed that in newer devices but all the old 2x series seem to factory reset themselves after firmware. The newer stuff a lot of them you can run a configure on the driver to set the Lifeline association again, then they keep working it seems.

1 Like

Makes sense. All my Zooz stuff is old/older as I gave up on them due to too many failures/issues. Honestly wouldn't bother me too awful much if they bricked during an update as I have a few other brand spares here. I really do need to get rid of those 2 old Zen26 that don't have an airgap.

The Zen 72 dimmers updated fine to fw version 10.30 I power cycled them after the update and then clicked "Configure" in the driver. They did not require the replace procedure.

That said, thanks @jtp10181 for posting that process. It's nice to know, if needed down the line, that the replace option exists.

The reason they don't is because it is not required. It is required on the dimmers because they can bleed a small amount of voltage even when off. So for safety you are supposed to pull the air gap when changing the bulbs. Typically you only see the air gap when required.

I just attempted to update my Zooz Zen 77 from 3.1 to 3.2 using the built-in device firmware updater app and it bricked. The file transfer took 5-10 minutes, but stalled at "Device Firmware Updater: Sent last firmware fragment. Waiting on device...". I waited for an hour then gave up. I tried the air gap, the breaker, and even the code-based firmware updater, but it remains unresponsive.
I contacted Zooz and they said bringing the device isn't covered under their 5-year warranty.
FWIW, I'm no longer a fan.

Only time I have heard of that happening is when the wrong file is used, I have done dozens of updates and never had one stop working. Not sure what could have gone wrong with it.

2 Likes

The same file was used on a different switch several months ago with no issue, but still, having worked in server farms for years, I know that checksum validations are standard practice to prevent such a file mismatch.

I'm less irritated by the failure to update than I am at their failure to replace it under their warranty (which doesn't say anything about not covering due to a failed firmware update). Caveat emptor.

It does do some sort of error check to verify the file that was sent did not get corrupted during transmission. I have had mine get rejected before at the very end due to this. But it seems there is no check that the update is for the correct device since other people have bricked various devices with incorrect update files.

So hard to say what went wrong, some sort of internal failure while it was flashing or something.

2 Likes

Just heard back from Zooz - they will absolutely NOT stand behind their firmware updates or what they do to their switches. So, update/upgrade the firmware if you like, but if you brick your switch, don't expect anything but a small discount on a replacement. So much for their "5-year" warranty :-/