Updating C-7 to 2.2.5...How long does this take?

I just did the same as @george107789 and it worked for me too. Not the most elegant way to update, but heyho.

1 Like

And another newb here, so apologies for retreading the same ground… just wanted to add that I've had the same experience of the update as the OP

• Set update running; update screen sat ay Applying Update for approx. 30 mins
  • Thanks to the support forum, I discovered the Diagnostic Tool (yay, thanks everyone!)
  • Hub said it was running 2.25 so I followed the instructions and shutdown the hub, gave it the 60 seconds unplug/plug in routine
  • Hub restarted but was stuck with the blue light; router was not showing it was connected so did a second hard reboot
  • This time it appeared in the DHCP table so I was able to log in to the Diagnostic Tool and I did a rollback

Checking the System Events log, there are no entries for the attempted update to 2,25 but I'm guessing that's because of the rollback.

Interestingly, I didn't/don't see 2.25 listed in the latest backups when I used the DT for rollback or now.

Will try again at some point when the WAF isn't in play!

2 Likes

Please use the Diagnostic Tool to restore to previous version. Then try to update again. You may want to run a Soft Reset with restore, before attempting to update again, for good measure.

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Soft_Reset

Thanks for the suggestion… much appreciated!

When I ran the rollback, I should've mentioned that used the DT to do a soft reset and then used restore to rollback… apologies that I didn't make it clear

I'll be trying again later so will report back… cheers!

I also had the same issue upgrading to 2.2.5.119
After a very long time I still had the blue light and couldn't access the hub via the browser

• Using the Diagnotic tool on port 8081 I tried resetting the hub, but it then it was still stuck with the blue LED
  • I downloaded a few backup files to my laptop just in case they got lost at any point
  • Then I did a rollback to 2.2.4.158 which worked fine
  • Using the diagnostic tool I did a soft reset
  • Then I went to upgrade to 2.2.5 again which worked.
  • Finally I restored from the backup and I would have expected everything to work ok but the hub was not reachable again
  • I did another reboot and the initializing hub page came up and after a short while the hub was up. Hoping that everything still works as before but only time will tell that

Is it known yet why this happened to some of us?
And anyone know how likely it is for it to happen again in the future? I'm also wondering have these issues happened with other firmwares or is this the first time?

I am tech savvy and this post was very useful to get my hub working in a relatively short amount of time. I wouldn't have liked if I had to wait for a reply to a support. So thank you very much.

I note to the Hubitat staff:
I'm personally using this hub as a power user and working in the microcontroller industry I'm used to the pain of things not working out of the box, but I think when this happens to a normal consumer it will leave them feel very overwhelmed by the experience. My personal belief is that customer products should just work out of the box and unfortunately the entire home automation industry just isn't there yet :frowning:
Hopefully the team continues to improve the Hubitat and reduce the likelihood of these things happening in the future

1 Like

Yes, we've seen a handful of upgrades doing exactly this. A reboot should help. Version 2.2.5 (and all others going forward) does a full reboot upon updating, so this update cycle will hopefully be the last one with this issue.

4 Likes

Just found this, thought I'd post my experience. Got up this AM, found my C5 showing Zigbee Radio not running. My C5 had been doing perfectly, 2 days ago I unpacked my new C7 and have started it, got it running on same build as the C5, did a backup on the C5, put the copy on the C7 and left them both running (I have not begun moving any devices) So in trouble shooting the C5 problem this morning, I see an update available for my C5, installed it and while UI of logs looked strange, Zigbee and all my devices worked fine. SO, I switched to C7, it is NOT indicating update. So now I'll wait to see what's going on in the Community before I try to update C7 to same build of the C5. NOTE: I do not have them meshed.

PS: Bit the bullet, checked for C7 update, it was there, did backup first, did update, all installed, no glitches.

Hello Hubitat Community, newbie here also. I just setup my HE 90 minutes ago and I've spent the last 60 of them trying to get it to reboot after attempting the software update to 2.2.5. I'm currently using the Diagnostic Tool to do a soft reset per the directions above. It's been saying 'waiting for hub to reboot' for at least 10 minutes. How long should I expect it to take for a reboot in this scenario? I'm trying to be patient, but 10+ minutes seems WAY too long. Should I pull the power?

Brand new C-7 just plugged in today; got stuck after trying to update from 2.2.4.158 to 2.2.5.119. Reboot button in the diag tool kept asking for a password I've never set, so I just reverted it to 2.2.4.158 and am not going to try updating again until more eyes are on this issue.

The diagnostic tool uses the MAC address (label on the bottom of the hub) as the pw. It will time out and your browser may submit an expired token. That will fail. You have to logout, then login, and use the MAC again.

Yep, tried it with and without the semi-colons, neither worked.

looks like it was case-sensitive too. Still - with my confidence shaken - I'm staying on the older version for a while since this failed right out of the box.

Sometimes the browser window gets stuck, try opening another window and typing in your hubs IP address to see if you get a different display.

Yes I Agee.I had to do this my parents c7. My c7 updated with no problem.
It was an ordeal to get them over the phone back up ended up having to go to advanced discovery and log in via Mac address to finally get the reboot menue

1 Like

If it wasn't for me, my parents would have never been able to get this running I don't think.at minimum it would have been an extremely tedious and off-putting issue

Nope, not the browser. I even went so far as to reboot my PC. It still refused to connect, in Chrome or Edge. So I used the DT to roll back to 2.2.4 and it came back online within 2 minutes. I think I'll avoid updating to the new build for a while...

Thanks for the help. I look forward to getting into my HE now!

So after playing with the C7 for a while, I gave it a nice reboot and left it. I came back to it and attempted the update to 2.2.5 again and this time it worked without issue... so that's progress I guess. :smile:

2 Likes

Cross posting from support forum - here are some things to do if update gets stuck.

• Go to http://your.hubs.ip.address:8081/
  • Reboot the hub from there, see if it comes up.
  • If not, go to http://your.hubs.ip.address:8081/ again, revert to previous version.
  • After it comes up, go to http://your.hubs.ip.address:8081/ yet again and "revert" to version 2.2.5.
  • It's possible that 2.2.5 is not showing as an option at this point. Use Download latest version to get it onto the hub. Doing so doesn't switch to the downloaded version, so once download is done, use revert option to switch.
  • If it still doesn't come up, revert to previous version and let us know. We'll have a fix shortly.
2 Likes

Stuck in the upgrade limbo. Sat at applying update for 15 minutes, so I got into DT and tried a reboot. Now the reboot has been sitting there for over 5 minutes in DT. Not sure what to do at this point. Unplug? I did a backup before applying the update.

I refreshed the DT screen and was able to choose revert. Once I came up at 2.2.4, I went back to DT and clicked revert. It showed 2.2.5 and I selected that. Pain in the rear, but its up and running.