[UPDATED] iPhone WiFi Presence Sensor

By default, it runs once every minute. It has a ten second timeout, after which it knows that the device is not responding on the network. If the device responds before the ten second timeout, then it knows the device is on the network.

When you say "seem to be slowing down my other wifi devices", what exactly do you mean? Other WiFi devices that are communicating to the Hubitat hub? Or WiFi devices on your home network in general?

1 Like

I mean that I can't watch videos on other devices that are connected to the same router like I could before this was setup, I watched the logs and it's checking the devices, I have 2, like every 30 seconds or so,

I believe you, but that's insane. Difficult for me to imagine how a simple http get with a tiny 408 response (or timeout) can bog your WiFi network down completely. Even if it happens every 30 seconds. By way of comparison, I poll by http get two TVs every 2 seconds for one of my automations. The response size is 3018 bytes.

What router (brand/model) do you have? And how many WiFi devices are connected to it?

1 Like

Looks like it's about once a minute

I have a Linksys EA6900 with about 12 wireless devices and 2 wired devices.

Just checked. That is limited to 32 devices. How many devices are you trying to stream on concurrently?

P.S. For now, it seems that you should disable your iPhone presence sensor while you're streaming.

At most 2 at a time but atm one. If I use my wired Xbox One I can watch HBO Max without issue but if I use my Firestick, which is plugged into the tv port on the same Xbox One, I can't watch without buffering every minute or so.

I've even had times where weather apps don't load promptly or correctly on my Galaxy S9 when connected to my router.

I'm just stunned by this observation. Because as @ogiewon said (and you confirmed), the driver sends an http get every minute. And then waits for a response for up to 10 seconds. That wait affects only the Hubitat, and not any other device on the network.

1 Like

Could be coincidence or could be that the router, the firestick, and hubitat are all within like 3 feet of each other. I'm wondering if I'm having a speed issue with internet but when I do a speed test I'm fine.

I'd blame the devices but, for those that leave the apartment, I only have issue at home and, oddly enough, if I switch form 5ghz to 2.4ghz I often stream video better but not on all devices.

Would you mind sharing a link to your modified version? Or @jwetzel1492 perhaps you can add a preference to make the timing adjustable?

I have the opposite need from @lewis.heidrick in that I would like to slow the attempts by quite a bit. I am using this driver to detect if a home air purifier (AirMega 300s) is connected. If it drops connection and does not reconnect on its own after 60 minutes I use a small ZigBee switch to power cycle the device. I am considering using this method as a watchdog of sorts for other home device that occasionally require a power cycle. One test attempt per 10 minute interval is more than enough to verify connection of these sorts of devices.

I'd recommend simply disabling these two devices in the hub (no need to remove them.) There is a feature on the devices page where you can enable the ability to disable individual devices, to keep their code from running. When you're experiencing the streaming issues, just disable both of the iPhone WiFi Presence Sensor devices in your Hubitat hub to see if anything changes.

1 Like

How can I make the devices respond so that it knows they're on the network?

The debug logs you've posted above indicate the devices are responding as they are meant to. BTW, I'd recommend turning off debug logging. While it has nothing to do with your slowdowns, it does mean that support will have to sift through a lot more logs to resolve any issues you raise with them.

For now, I would do exactly what @ogiewon suggested. Disable both devices during a streaming slowdown, and then confirm if that eliminates the slowdown.

This would confirm causality v/s a coincidental effect on streaming.

I'm not sure how to disable them. I can remove them, I can pause rules they're in but not disable. I do agree it's a good option though.

Here you go:

Click on the "X" in the corner:

That brings up a column that lets you disable individual devices. The same thing applies to apps as well.

1 Like

One more question. What kind of video streaming has issues? 4K or HD?

1 Like

HD but it's a data issue, even down to little apps like weather. What are the chances that assigning a static IP could cause all this?

How did you assign the static IP? Via a DHCP reservation? Or some other method?

Edit: Do all your other devices have static IPs as well? How were they assigned? Basically, I'm asking if steps were taken to prevent IP address conflicts?

1 Like