Update won't work depending on modem

I had a new ADSL connection installed and was supplied a Modem Router Telstra smart Modem Gen 2 LH100. (I'm in Australia). When initiating a hub update. It will get on 0%. (occasionally advance to 1% but I think this is a display precision / rounding thing.)

I borrowed another Modem/Router and was able to download the updates. Using the same ADSL line. So it points to something with the router or its setup being the issue.
The only difference I can see in the modem configuration is that the original one uses a connection type of PPPoADSL routed mode (I can't see a way to change this) while on the borrowed one it is setup for Wan Type DSL, Protocol PPPoE-LLC. I'm not suggesting that this is the issue but it is the only difference I have noticed.
Both devices do not have any port forwarding active.
I have not noticed any other non hubitat related internet/modem issues.

Would anyone have some details on how the downloads work and addresses, ports, etc it uses so I can contact my provider with the issue?
Any further testing I can do or ideas you may have?

I would rather keep the supplied modem rather then buying another one as it has 4g failover and otherwise seems a capable modem.

Thanks

Check your network MTU size. I bet it was set to 1492 and you need to adjust your network to handle this properly. The other modem probably handles this properly.

In both cases, I assume they were both doing DHCP for you? You could always put an actual firewall / router / DHCP server in front of your network and put the DSL modem in bridge mode.

The other potential issue is SPI or stateful packet inspection. This can interrupt ssl traffic, especially on larger downloads in some cases.

Bottom line, I doubt it's the PPPoA vs PPPoE but more a configuration issue on one over the other. A proper firewall and either in bridge mode should handle all your local traffic properly.

I had the same issue on all 3 of my hubs when brand new, including the 4th (replacement hub) when first registering and attempting to get the latest update, it repeatedly stopped before 20% and failed. After 16 continuous hours of repeating trying to get it, it finally completed at 230AM.

Only happens to the first initial hub registration update.....all other updates after that download and complete within a couple minutes.

Thanks for your suggestions Patrick. I have done some reasearch to get some knowledge on your points and this is what I have found and tested.
My network MTU size is set to 1500
My optimum network MTU size is tested at 1472 (using ping -f -l 1472 192.168.0.1) adding 28 to this for (IP/ICMP headers) gives 1500. It seems that the network MTU is set correctly. I suspect it doesn't affect things. I'm not understanding how a modem setup can affect the network MTU. But I tested the network using the LH1000 and the AC68U with the same results.

I did some testing on the modem MTU in case its relevant

Checking the WAN connection from the carrier with the LH1000 (won't update);
I can't find the MTU setting of the LH1000.
Using ping -f -l xxxx (wan address) [Max before fragment 1472]
Using ping -f -l xxxx www.google.com [max before fragment 1464]

Checking the WAN connection from the carrier with the AC68U (updates ok);
Modem MTU set to 1492
Using ping -f -l xxxx (wan address) [Max packet size before fragment 1472]
Using ping -f -l xxxx www.google.com [Max before fragment 1464]

They were both doing DHCP yes
If I put the modem in bridge mode the posts I have read advise that the viop will no longer work so I'd rather not. As it works with another modem I would rather fix what I have than put an actual firewall / router / DHCP server in front of the network and put the DSL modem in bridge mode.
The router/modem has an inbuild firewall server. I have tried this both on and off.

Are their any tests I can do with SPI? Or any other ideas?

Hi waynespringer79. I had this issue with the initial update attempt and each subsequent one. Have also tried cycling many times and left it overnight but still no update.

@patrick Could you tell me the protocol that the update uses (ftp?) and the port. Even the complete URL if possible.
The LH1000 modem has a proprietary voip installed and I am wondering if somehow a port conflict is disturbing the transmission.

It's a standard https request to aws on 443.

I'm guessing you have something that is causing packet fragmentation or something that is interupting ssl downloads. Try a simple test of a wget to any ssl website large file download 50+ Meg's and see if you get any errors.

My guess is smaller packets that aren't fragmented are fine. But larger continuous downloads are somehow getting interupted or corrupted. Potentially some sort of SPI or other interference with SSL large file downloads of https.

Hmm, is there by chance a QoS setting in the modem/router that you could prioritize the HE hub by IP or MAC address?

Thanks for the comment @SmartHomePrimer I don't have that setting at least not in the GUI. Given your post I have removed everything on the network except the Hubitat and a laptop running the browser. To reduce the traffic and simulate a QoS setting prioritising the Hubitat download. Unfortunately it didn't change anything.

1 Like

How about trying Google DNS settings on the ISP modem/router?

After I saw your post I thought that could really be it. But unfortunately I had the same result. I even tried open DNS and power cycled both the modem and Hubitat. Thanks for your suggestion @SmartHomePrimer

1 Like

The isp provided me with another modem DJA0231 a different hardware and software I believe its from a different manufacturer. The fault is the same.
I don't know if this has any bearing but it is a difference.
I have noticed that when I do a tracert from the modem interface and from dos that the results vary. It seems the last hop is missing when done from the modem.
When done from dos I get
9 293 ms 327 ms 242 ms i-92.paix02.telstraglobal.net [202.84.247.41]
10 221 ms 221 ms 221 ms unknown.telstraglobal.net [134.159.61.137]
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 228 ms 222 ms 222 ms 205.251.231.122
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 274 ms 262 ms 262 ms server-54-192-146-150.sfo20.r.cloudfront.net [54.192.146.150]

from the modem interface

and keeps timing out

I'm still trying to work out how I will do this test.
I have however used this site Amazon Web Services Network Test | CloudHarmony to test at home and work which has shown similar results

I was able to upgrade to v2.1.3.128 without issue where I couldn't before.
I also upgraded again to v2.1.4.125 a few days later, successfully.
Nothing has changed at my end. (ADSL connection, modem, modem settings)
So I'm pretty chuffed. I don't understand it but am glad it is working.

1 Like