Update Device Type

I tried searching but can't find what I'm looking for. I have been with Hubitat for a bit now. When I originally started out, most device types came in a Generic Zwave Switch. Since Hubitat has grown a bit over the last year or so, they now offer specific device types for my switches. I'd like to go through and update all my Device Types to be specific for the switches and outlets that can be instead of using the generic type. Is there an easy way to do this without pulling all my wall plates and looking at the actual switch? I have a few different brands of switches scattered through out the house but I've forgotten what I put where.

Thanks in advance!

There's no way to re-run Hubitat's automatic "driver match" process that happens at pairing without excluding and re-adding the device (an option, but probably more than you want to do). I would recommend knowing what devices you have where simply because that's good to know, but if you don't and aren't having any problems with the generic driver, that's a perfectly fine driver for most devices--the "generic" in the name just means that it is indeed the appropriate driver for many/most devices of that type despite sounding a bit like "we'll get around to writing a specific driver for this some day." So, don't let that scare you off. :slight_smile:

If you do know (or find out) what you have, the best-match native driver is listed in the List of Compatible Devices. But again, if you aren't having problems, I'm not sure I'd change anything--and you might already be "correct."

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. The only reason I thought about this was I recently had one switch go bad. I was out at a grocery store pickup run and my wife called saying something was clicking in the kitchen. Ended up being one of my smart switches flaking out. I excluded and re-added it. When I did, it picked up the new device type.

I think I will heed your advice. Sounds a lot like "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" type mentality. And that advice....I am 100% on board with.

Thanks again for the reply and advice!

1 Like

You might be able to get the information you need by switching (temporarily) each device to Mike Maxwell’s Super Basic Z-Wave Tool (after changing device driver & clicking Save, then click Configure). It will show you info about the device. Then change to whatever driver you want, click Configure.

Alternatively, replace the current driver with the driver named Device, then open live logging, then click getInfo in the driver. Lots of stuff about the device will be seen that will help you figure out what you’ve got.

Again, each time after changing drivers, click Configure.