Unscheduled Mode Change after Version Update

I use Modes to occasionally change my lighting schedule from daily to holiday. I always do it manually using a virtual switch and a mode template on a dashboard. It has worked flawlessly for the last 2 years.
I updated my firmware on Tuesday July 12 to version 2.3.2.136. The following week at midnight Wednesday July 20 the system changed the mode from the default Day mode to holiday mode and started running apps that only run when I am using the holiday mode. I reviewed my mode settings to make sure there were no triggers. There are no presence, buttons or switches configured. The same thing happened exactly one week later at midnight. The Schedule Jobs log shows another mode change is scheduled for next Wednesday at midnight. Mode Manager shows all modes ignore time changes.
Am I missing something here or is there a bug that was introduced in version 2.3.2.136? Is there a way to delete the mode change from the schedule? I only want to change modes manually. I am reluctant to update to the latest release for fear of introducing more problems.
FYI, after installing this version I deleted the built-in mode names (Evening, Night and Away) since they were just cluttering up the mode selector screen. I kept the built-in Day mode and the holiday mode I created 2 years ago.

You could try opening Mode Manager and hitting "Done" to re-initialize schedules, subscriptions, and whatnot. This is assuming that the scheduled job you saw in Logs > Scheduled Jobs was one for Mode Manager; if not, you'll have to look at whatever app that was.

Also, I don't recall any changes to Mode Manager after build 132, so you should also be safe to update, and then you'll get other fixes, too--and be more likely to get more help troubleshooting just in case something was fixed. If you believe the update introduced a problem, you can also use the Diagnostic Tool to roll back.

1 Like

Thanks for your suggestions. I decided to roll back to v 2.3.1.142. I'm not sure what version I was on before the update to 2.3.2.136.
After the rollback the scheduled job is still listed for Mode Manager Day at 2022-08-03 00:00:00 EDT. I will have to wait until then to see if it changes the mode.

No joy. The mode changed from day to holiday again at midnight when the scheduled job ran.

My first question is can the system generated scheduled job be deleted? If not, can it be modified to run at a more civilized hour? I would guess that one of the Hubitat developers can help me with that.

The one positive result of the rollback to an earlier version is that it seems to have corrected some random anomalies that started recently (two lights turning on when only one was scheduled, lights turning on but not turning off).

I reviewed the virtual switch parameters and the Mode Manager settings again. When I manually made a mode change in the past I was not changing the ON/OFF status of the virtual switch, just changing the mode itself. I also had no parameters set in the Mode Manager.

I have now changed the Mode Manager settings so that the option to "Set mode with switches" will select the holiday mode when the virtual switch is on, and select the day mode when the switch is off. This works when I test it manually, but unless I can change the system generated schedule I will have to wait for midnight next Wednesday to see if it will leave the mode setting alone. I have no idea if this will make any difference but I don't know what else to try. I don't want to introduce too many variables at one time so I have not updated the the latest version of the firmware.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. This is literally keeping me up at night.

My suggestion was more to update to the current version (which you were not quite on) and know that you could roll back to the last few versions if you truly suspect one caused the problems. I'd generally recommend being on the latest hotfix since they generally address specific bugs, and staff are unlikely to help troubleshoot something earlier than that. Your particular problems sound more like device or mesh issues, but without more information to go by, it's hard to say; I just suspect that coincidence with the update was, well, coincidental. Logs in particular (for the apps more than the devices) are going to be the best help to figure that out; see here for general tips if you aren't sure where to start, and feel free to ask for more help with something specific if you need it: How to Troubleshoot Apps or Devices - Hubitat Documentation

Back to the modes issue, I don't think I've seen this reported here before. "Set Mode With Switches" should change to the corresponding mode when the selected switch is turned on or off (depending on which option you chose), but changing modes will not turn on/off the switch (unless you have some other app doing that). Do not that most switches, including virtual switches, won't generate an "event" (and thus trigger/wake an app) if their state doesn't actually change, e.g., if it's already off and you send an "Off" command. If you have more questions about that, you may want to share a screenshot of your Mode Manager setup.

Finally, I'd suggest turning on "Enable logging" for Mode Manager so there may be more information to look at in case you think it's doing something unexpected.

Good luck!

This is the entry for the Mode Manager log:
app:2232022-08-03 12:00:00.066 am infoMode set to Yom Tov from Day
(Yom Tov is Hebrew for holiday)

This is the Scheduled Jobs entry for the next mode change
Mode Manager Day true dayHandler 2022-08-10 00:00:00 EDT

This morning I did some searches on mode changes and found at least 2 older posts mentioning unscheduled mode changes at midnight.

A link to the thread would be helpful.

Sorry about that!
Mode ignores setup changes itself at 12:00 AM which is 3 years old
Mode manager at midnight - #7 by Carl which is 2 years old
Less relevant Mode Manager (+Thermostat) not working - #9 by 256peach from last year

The code for the Mode Manager add-on has probably changed since these were posted but my point is that this has been an issue in the past and not completely solved.

I will probably run the firmware update later today.

Thanks for your attention to this.

I updated to the latest version. At midnight the mode changed again.
The Mode Manager log shows the "automated" mode change at 2022-08-10 12:00:00.075 am but there is no log entry for the manual change I made at 2022-08-10 12:05:58.961 am.

FYI I found this post last night Mode manager issue with 2.3.2.141? - #5 by neonturbo
Not quite the same problem, but an indication that there is a systemic issue with modes and midnight.

Can a Hubitat developer respond to this??