Unknown Z-wave devices

That's what I did too. Haven't really thought through if there are benefits to pairing the secondary controller securely though.

1 Like

Basically just different communication methods each have their own positives and negatives.

1 Like

I used non-secure/classic for both Z-Stick and now the UZB-7. Worked well was able to remove one ghost but the other wouldn't do the "is failed" but maybe I didn't try enough or do the NOP thing you mentioned.

Interestingly in HE was able to "discover" it and it came back in HE devices where it seems to work again. Odd but cool so far. Am not seeing the "network busy" messages since I removed the first ghost yesterday..

3 Likes

My stick is now arriving sometime today...keep talking people, I'm looking forward to taking a run at my ghost.

2 Likes

Hitting it w/4 or 5 NOP can drive it to is_failed status. Unless something ANSWERS the NOP messages - then you have a totally different issue and should go back to a regular remove. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here's the way I did it.. others have used NWI for inclusion.. etc

1. Plug it in to a windows machine... may have to install the drivers. These can be found in the initial installation directory i.e. "..\ZWavePCController_v5_39\bin" . NOTE: There have been issues using the newer drivers downloaded directly from SiLabs site. Try the ones included with the install first!
  2. Run the PC Controller Sw. Note: you might have to select the source but probably not.
  3. Go to "Network Management"
  4. In HE put your hub into Z-Wave inclusion mode..
  5. In PC Ctlr sw click on "Classic Learn Mode"
  6. Hopefully it pairs as a Z-Wave Device, I paired in unsecured mode (unchecking all boxes) - nothing else needs to be done in HE until ready for removal.
  7. A list of devices should appear in the upper left pane. Find and click on the "ghost" device.
  8. With the ghost device highlighted click on "Is Failed" in the upper right pane - hopefully it will mark the device as failed and then you can click on "Remove Failed". If not you can try clicking on "NOP" and maybe "Is Failed" a few times to see if that works.
  9. When finished and you want to exclude the UZB-7 put HE in exclusion mode and in the PC Ctlr sw click on "Select Learn Mode" and NWE. UZB-7 should then get excluded from HE.

5 Likes

This padawan now feels great confidence, master. :wink: Thanks for the tips and screen shot.

I'm going to start driving around in my car randomly accosting FedEx drivers for my package. That actually seems like a more effective use of my day than sitting here dying quietly inside while I wait. :smiley:

1 Like

One more screenshot for giggles... this is connected to my C4 main hub and shows some devices.

In the upper left pane:

• The "id" column matches up with the decimal part of the "Node" column on HE's Z-Wave Details page. ex. "45" is the "0x2D (045)" entry.
  • The bolded Pc Controller entry is the UZB-7 stick. The other one is the hub. When you first pair the stick these both may appear at the bottom of the list.
  • Don't mess with the HE hub PC controller entry or the UZB entry (except to exclude it) .. you could potentially mess things up by changing device associations etc.. I think I did that inadvertently in my early UZB/Z-Stick explorations.

Regarding above...you mean don't mess w/it except to exclude the ghost device, correct? Or is there a point where I need/want to exclude the UZB stick? When done removing ghost devices I need to remove the UZB as well, so it doesn't become a problem itself after I'm done using it to fix other problems?

If you select the UZB "Pc Controller" entry (the one with Id > 1) and mess around with the buttons (and who doesn't like to push random buttons?) you could "promote" the usb stick to master controller and mess up stuff with HE - at least I think that's what I did that one time. My devices disappeared and weird stuff happened (along with major panic).

Just select the ghost device and do your stuff. When comes time to exclude click on the UZB "Pc Controller" entry and do the exclusion thing as I indicated.

Hope that makes sense.

edit: Note you can also upgrade firmware etc as well this way via the 2nd to the last icon on the side menu on the left (the up arrow icon). Never done it this way.. but the option is there.

It did until I hit the bolded above... :wink:

That seems different than step 9 in your first post:

To exclude put HE in exclusion mode and in the PC Ctlr click on "Select Learn Mode" and NWE. Device should then get excluded from HE.

Sorry...I must be missing something.

Yeah sorry "Pc Controller" entry one of the 2 listed (the other is the HE hub) - in my case when I exclude I will select the "144 Pc Controller" (the bolded entry under "Controllers" section in the upper left pane) and do the learn mode/NWE exclude thing..

I changed it in the earlier post.

Let me try that again.... :thinking:

There are 2 controllers listed with the same name "Pc Controller" - this is a tad confusing. The bolded one is the UZB-7 stick and it will have an Id > 1 after it is included in HE.

1 Like

I have reset everything after excluding each z wave device on SmartThings and HE, turned off the circuit breakers in the entire house, removed all the apps, after resetting the z wave devices, removing the hue and Rachio integrations.

We will start from scratch one device at a time every 20 minutes.

Wish me luck!

Nuclear option v2! Luv it! Good luck!

1 Like

Well did a full reset, looked in the z-wave details and got this: Z-Wave Radio Devices

Node Status Clusters Device Security Route

0x01 (001) OK in: , out: S2 Access Control
0x06 (006) NOT_RESPONDING in: , out: None 01 -> 06 100kbps
0x09 (009) NOT_RESPONDING in: , out: None 01 -> 09 40kbps
0x0A (010) NOT_RESPONDING in: , out: None 01 -> 0A 100kbps
0x0B (011) NOT_RESPONDING in: , out: None 01 -> 06 -> 0B 100kbps
0x0C (012) NOT_RESPONDING in: , out: None 01 -> 0C 100kbps
0x0F (015) NOT_RESPONDING in: , out: None 01 -> 0F 100kbps
0x11 (017) NOT_RESPONDING in: , out: None 01 -> 06 -> 11 40kbps
0x13 (019) NOT_RESPONDING in: , out: None 01 -> A5 -> 13
0x14 (020) NOT_RESPONDING in: , out: None 01 -> 14 100kbps
0x15 (021) NOT_RESPONDING in: , out: None 01 -> 06 -> 16 -> 15 40kbps
0x16 (022) NOT_RESPONDING in: , out: None 01 -> 06 -> 16 100kbps
0x17 (023) NOT_RESPONDING in: , out: None 01 -> 26 -> 10 -> 17 100kbps
0x18 (024) FAILED in: , out: None 01 -> 06 -> 18 9.6kbps
0x1B (027) NOT_RESPONDING in: , out: None 01 -> A5 -> 1B
0x1D (029) FAILED in: , out: None 01 -> 26 -> 1D 100kbps
0x24 (036) NOT_RESPONDING in: , out: S0 01 -> A5 -> 24
0x25 (037) OK in: , out: S0 01 -> 25 100kbps
0x26 (038) FAILED in: , out: S0 01 -> 06 -> 14 -> 25 -> 26 100kbps
0x27 (039) FAILED in: , out: None 01 -> 27 100kbps
0x29 (041) FAILED in: , out: None 01 -> 29 100kbps
0x2A (042) NOT_RESPONDING in: , out: None 01 -> 06 -> 0A -> 2A 100kbps
0x2C (044) NOT_RESPONDING in: , out: None 01 -> 06 -> 2C 40kbps
0x2D (045) NOT_RESPONDING in: , out: None 01 -> 06 -> 0F -> 2D 40kbps
0x2E (046) FAILED in: , out: None 01 -> 06 -> 14 -> 25 -> 2E 100kbps
0x30 (048) NOT_RESPONDING in: , out: None 01 -> A5 -> 30
0x31 (049) NOT_RESPONDING in: , out: None 01 -> A5 -> 31
0x32 (050) FAILED in: , out: S2 Authenticated 01 -> A5 -> 32
0x33 (051) OK in: , out: None 01 -> A5 -> 33
0x35 (053) FAILED in: , out: None 01 -> A5 -> 35

I sent an email to support this morning before 8, but I guess they're busy trying to track down what's happened.

I'll try to add the switch that is located 6 feet away on the same wall

Just remember that Hubitat has said they will be removing that Menu option "Soon" and that's because it's prone to misuse. Especially people that think "Soft" is just too New Age :smiley:

2 Likes

Roger that @csteele, but I've been working on this five days straight now. Every two hours or so it all just goes pear shaped and no z wave devices work anymore. Hue lights (see hub in post above situated next to the Hubitat) work fine and all the zigbee stuff works, I even got the Echo Speaks thing working. Then overnight all the z wave devices quit talking again. Restarted the hub, no joy this time, not even for an hour. Soft reset, no joy, repair z wave network no joy, remove zombie devices via the HE interface no joy, exclude all the devices from the old smartthings hub (had to plug it in again) no joy, removed all the devices from HE, most were found and would remove, some wouldn't register on the exclude. So like Princess Leia I thought help me hubitat full reset, you're my only hope!

The pantry switch was able to be added (device 36). I'm not clear on the scheduled Jobs that shows up. It looks like the device is going to "log off" in about 20 minutes.

Does this mean the device will quit working after that point?

Thanks for your patience... :slight_smile: Sorry about all the questions, this is not as simple a I thought it was (or stated more accurately, I'm more simple than you thought I was). :slight_smile:

So:

1. A list of devices should appear in the upper left pane. Find and click on the "ghost" device.
  • got it
  1. Click on "Is Failed" in the upper right pane - hopefully it will mark the device as failed and then you can click on "Remove Failed". If not you can try clicking on "NOP" and maybe "Is Failed" a few times to see if that works.
  • If step 8 doesn't work, should I stop there? Is step 9 a second option to remove the device if step 8 doesn't work, or is step 9 finishing what step 8 started, and won't work if step 8 doesn't complete w/the device removed?
  1. To exclude put HE in exclusion mode and in the PC Ctlr click on "Select Learn Mode" and NWE. Device should then get excluded from HE.
  • Put HE in Z-Wave exclusion mode (60s count-down)
  • Click on the UZB stick entry so it's selected
  • Click on "Select Learn Mode"
  • Click on NWE
    Ghost device should then be excluded

Please tell me I'm not far off from getting this. Maybe 8PM delivery of my stick is way too early for my learning speed to use it....