Understanding Motion Lighting and manual "interference"

I have two motion lighting rules set up to turn on bathroom lights when motion is detected after sunset and before sunrise.

It was working well, but seems to have stopped working once a manual on/off was used.

Is that the proper behavior for Motion Lighting? And is there a "reset after manual on/off" function?

What kind of light switch are you using? I suspect the status of the switch is not reporting back to the hub when using manually. You can open the log and check the status of the switch. The old Z-wave switches are notorious for this.

Leviton Decora Smart with Z-Wave Technology 600-Watt Dimmer.

They are the only non-GE Z-wave plus switches I am using the house.

I don't think I fully understand what all of the options in Motion Lighting specifically mean, and the documentation hasn't been updated. The options don't match what I see in the app.

Is Motion Lighting written specifically for smart bulbs rather than for creating lighting rules using a z-wave switch, for instance?

I'm unclear if the switches that get selected are for additional actions (or virtual switches to store a state) or if you need to specify which switch controls the light itself (if its a smart switch).

I want to be able to use the switch without turning off the rule. What am I missing here? The motion detector is sensing motion.

But the rule isn't working.

Seems like the switch isn't receiving the commands from the rules. But I can control the light "manually" from the dashboard, so I know its "on" and "working".

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.