Under cabinet lighting with Hue white and color ambiance strip

Typical newer home, no under cabinet lighting nor any switch/wiring that's accessible.

My kitchen cabinets have space on either side exactly where I'd want to run the wires to hide them. Glad the builder had to put spacer trim in to make the cabinets fit the kitchen :grin:

There is an outlet in that small cabinet above the microwave (above the stove). There is a phone jack - yes a phone jack - on the wall behind the counter top. I replaced it with a Pico :blush:

I bought a Hue white and color ambiance strip and controller (already have a Hue Hub).

On Amazon I bought some things from Litcessory. Mine is v4, make sure you get the correct version based on your Hue strip version.

• 6-pin to cut end connector
  • Controller to 6-pin connector (comes with one male and one female, both you'll need)
  • 10 foot extensions (2 pack)
  • Splitter (comes with two, you only need one)

I already have a few Picos lying around with the wall mounts.

Below pic is the cabinet layout. Extension routing is marked in red. Controller is plugged in above the microwave. Pico is on the wall to the right of the stove.

Cut the Hue strip into two sections to fit your cabinets. Connection layout:

I wrapped each connection with electrical tape for a little extra support. Then just run the wires down the sides of the cabinets (I stapled where they bend around the bottom corner of the cabinet - be careful!), stick the strips on with the included adhesive, plug in the controller, and do your Hue bridge and Hubitat setup. A Pico on the wall to control it, and it turned out great!

5 Likes

Looks great! I did this project about a year ago; though, I mounted a track with diffuser to put the strip in rather than use the adhesive. I also just put a Hue Tap Dial on the side of the fridge since it has a magnetic base rather than use a Pico, but your project looks awesome.

Are you going to do above the cabinets? I ended up doing that too and it really adds to the evening ambiance at our house after the kids go to bed.

I have thought about doing above, but I'm not sure how it would look because it's that type of open kitchen where the wall doesn't go all the way to the ceiling and the ceiling is sloped.

Here is the final product after I replaced the outlets with Lutron Claro...

1 Like

Looks great! I understand the issue about the ceiling and agree. I'm not sure if it would work; though, you could always just lay a strip up there without attaching it to see how it would look. Mine goes straight into the wall which helps significantly with the lighting/ambiance.

1 Like

Yeah that lighting above the cabinet looks fantastic.

I do have a Zooz RGBW controller and a roll of LED I never used. I had planned on using it for the under cabinet lighting but buying pre-made stuff was simpler and I do like having it in Hue with all the other bulbs.

I completely agree. My ceiling lights in the pictures are also Hue which adds to the both the task and ambient lighting. Iā€™d be curious what yours looks like with light and the small gap between the cabinets and ceiling.