Unable to update Inovelli Firmware - Device Firmware Updater (2.2.4.145)

That sounds like a good feature for 2.0

2 Likes

Along with Zigbee.

1 Like

I very much agree! :smiley:

@bcopeland, it Device firmware updated sometimes doesn’t seem to work for updating Inovelli Red or Black switches from 1.19 to 1.20 on 2.2.158. I tried on three switches in the past days. When attempting the update, it starts the process, but looks like it gets stuck. The switch LED becomes blue (solid) or stays stuck at the previous light effect.

This is the screen where it seems to gets stuck at. The progress bar doesn’t move for a while, though at one point I left it there for several minutes when the LED was blinking blue as expected and it did start the process.

The logs show the following:

When I cancelled, the switch then becomes unresponsive (physically or via Hubitat) and must be air gapped before it works again.

It may just be a cosmetic problem where I need to wait more every time...?

Update: I let it go through the night and this morning, the light switch was working again, so I figured it probably completed through the night - it did not. The ZWave status was the same early this morning as it was when I checked again at noon:

At that point, I Aborted the update. I also checked the firmware version to see if it had updated, but it was still at 1.19. So with this, it seems that there is more than a cosmetic issue unfortunately... :slightly_frowning_face:

I also checked the logs and found nothin new. Just the same as above.

Did you get firmware to update?

I have a case open with Inovelli and they want me to update the firmware. I attempted to update one of my dimmers to 1.48 and the firmware tool just stopped pushing the update without any errors. I attempted a couple of more times and received the following error:

Device Firmware Updater: ERROR: The device was unable to receive the requested firmware data

I went to look at the dimmer and LED was showing a solid, soft red color. The dimmer functioned correctly physically and through Hubitat but continued to show the notification. When I air gapped it, the notification went away.

I am also going to attempt to update one of my switches to see if I experience a similar behavior. I have never attempted to update the firmware on one of these switches so wasn't sure if the red LED was an indicator of something.

Unfortunately not. I still am not able to update the firmware with the new Device Firmware Updater. It doesn't work for you either, you can try using the earlier version. Note - there are 2 versions...

Thanks. I will give that a try instead. I was hoping to use the latest and greatest tool as it looked easier to use than the device driver.

@bcopeland Is there anything that I can provide that may help resolve the issue that I am experiencing in a future release?

1 Like

This indicates that after multiple attempts the device was not able to receive the firmware parts .. At this point the device has given up.. This is usually indicative of mesh issues, or overloaded mesh (too much traffic)..

@bcopeland, as noted above, I am still unable to update my Inovelli devices’ firmware. I have the latest Hubitat Firmware. I just got myself a Z-Wave Toolbox and have been looking to see if I can find issues with my mesh. There doesn’t appear to be much interference and the mesh seems to be doing okay. That said, I am no way near an expert on Z-Wave... Just learning as I go...

Is there anything specific that you would recommend I should be looking for? I plan to spend a bit more time on this over the weekend.

@bcopeland In my case I switched to using the Z-Wave Firmware Updater for updates. One of he devices received the same error on the first attempt to update target 0 but was updated on the next attempt. The 2nd device updated on the first attempt. On both devices I updated both target 0 and 1. Target 1 on both devices updated on the first attempt.

I have a new setup but my Z-Wave mesh is strong (followed the Hubitat guides) and I have not had any issues with mesh slowness or unresponsiveness.

1 Like

It's not a mesh issue.. it's an issue with the device not responding in some situations to the firmware update request..

Any insight on why I would be receiving the exact same "ERROR: The device was unable to receive the requested firmware data" message, when it is in the room that the hub is in?

Every attempt using the Device Firmware Updater has failed for me, except one attempt (it was like attempt #5 for the same device). The device I just tried, in my office, next to my hub provided the typical error, and I switch the device to use the Inovelli Z-Wave Updater code, and it works. it is processes much faster too. in the time it took the built-in app to update to 2%, the device driver version has updated to 28%.

I have 3 more dimmer to update, and I can hold off if you would like to do some more testing....

I have had success with Inovelli by power cycling and disabling all security.

My office dimmer has not been functional since the update attempt. I was able to get it to take an update only by excluding it and pairing it to a Z-Stick with Security Mode disabled. Thankfully these devices are quite tolerant to failed firmware updates. Unfortunately they are excruciatingly slow to recover after a bad update. 1.5 hours to complete the firmware update after the failure. What is most odd, is that the office dimmer's route back to the hub is office, to Guest Room, to Gym, to hub. In order of distance, closest to farthest (both in linear distance, and in number of obstacles/walls), is Office, then Gym, then Guest Room. So I wonder if this rather long route is attributed to the failed firmware update.

I am trying to update my Inovelli devices again, and all fail... the process just hangs on "Requesting Device Start Firmware Transfer". Perhaps the Inovelli devices should be blocked from the tool. Of 20 Inovelli devices, only 2 have successfully updated using the Device Firmware Updater, and they had to be right next to the hub, and paired w/o s2 security. And then it is a crap shoot if it works.

I think if we know these devices fail to work with the hubitat updater, they should just be blocked from the updater until such a time as someone can work on the code to make it work. As a side-note, my Z-Stick, joined to the same z-wave network, and residing next to the HE hub almost never fails to update over the same z-wave network.

You mentioned using a Z-stick to update the FW by pairing the switch directly to the Z-stick, then in your recent post mentioned that the Z-stick is now on the same z-wave network as the hubitat and switch. Is it possible to update send the FW update to the switch from the Z-stick while they are both in the hubitat's network? I'm guessing no, that only the hub device is able to push the updates, but it doesn't hurt to ask...

yes. I have done it this way for a while now. I only remove the z-stick from the z-wave network when the device stops responding. Then I have to pair the switch directly to the z-stick to get the update to work. To really stretch things, I run the z-wave software for the z-stick on a Windows virtual machine running on a Mac. Works great, and is very reliable -- just not desired.

1 Like

In this case, today I was having issues recovering my Inovelli after the failed update from Hubitat. I had to pair the devices using S0 security for the update to work. S2 and unsecured both would hang on the update. I will play more but I wonder if something changed in the firmware that resulted in this odd behavior, as in the past I would only be able to update them is they were paired unsecured

Here is my z-stick updating my Laundry Light switch while paired to the Hubitat Z-Wave network.

For those interested, I am running this on an M1 MacBook Pro, running Windows 10 ARM in Parallels 17, running PC Controller for Intel. The current version os Windows 10 ARM insider edition has a built-in x86 emulator the runs 32bit Intel code natively inside the ARM instance of Widows, allowing me to run any Windows Intel application on my M1 powered system. And performance is great.

So, as you can see, the firmware update from a Z-Stick works great w/o having to remove the the device from the network just to update it.

Good to know! After you first said that it can be done while in the same network, I was placing an order from the smartest house's labor day sale, and added a zooz zwave usb stick to the order, so hopefully I'll be able to try it myself in a few days.