Unable to remove Zwave device

According to OP, off and in a drawer...

Correct off and in a drawer.

A few months ago I would have suggested breaking out the zwave stick but with all the recent platform and stack upgrades that just hasn't been necessary. Will be interesting to see what BobbyD comes back with. Is your mesh otherwise pretty healthy?

It is now. I have been cleaning up some troublesome devices. Most devices talking directly to the hub and not even repeating now.

Shutdown the hub, unplug power for 5 mins (at the wall not the hub) then try it. (I know you rebooted but I want you to powercycle). Then attempt the remove. If it doesn't work, use the stick method.

Almost hate to bring this up, and this definitely falls in the "...if it ain't broke..." category, but Peanuts have a storied (and usually not good stories) history around here. If you start to experience Zigbee issues, this could be of interest...FWIW I had several Peanuts on my system for a year or more and didn't see any issues. I've since retired mine over time "just in case."

Been using a couple for awhile with no issues so replaced the last ZEN25 that I had with one. That one was supposed to turn a light on when I went into my guest bed room but the ZEN25 only seemed to get the command about 60% of the time. So far the Peanut is at 100%.

1 Like

Will give it a try.

Did that. Before I try REMOVE again DISCOVER has reappeared. Would it be worth it to try to put the ZEN20 back in pairing mode and hit DISCOVER and then see if I can remove it assuming it joins? DISCOVER had been there yesterday but finally vanished and would not come back.

So after I powered it back up I had:

I hit REFRESH and then got:

When I click REMOVE I get this in the log:

I may power cycle it again and see if I can get DISCOVER back and maybe if I plug it back in and put it in pairing mode and hit DISCOVER maybe it will pair back up. Hopefully I don't get 2 ghosts doing that. Can't get to that until tomorrow however.

If "Discover" works you should not get an additional entry, just the current entry coudl fill in/complete.

I assume you haven't reset your device, and if it can re-join it should join w/the same info.

The device indicated it was successfully removed. All LEDs blinked and per the manual that is what it should do.

So the devices internal Z-Wave info was probably cleared in that case. I don't think "Discover" will find it.

You could try doing a Replace from the Z-Wave Details page, if you can get that option to appear by the Refresh and Remove options for the device in the Z-Wave table by hitting "Refresh" (likely take repeated tries). If the switch is powered up and in join mode, hitting Replace should allow it to re-join your hub and replace the device/info that the current entry has. Might work...

Actually it looks like that's not going to be an option to try and get it to DISCOVER. I plugged that strip back in and the leds are flickering and the strip is making a buzzing sound so it sounds like it totally freaked out during the removal process.

I've hit Refresh about 50 times I think but nothing changes. Why must Zwave be so difficult?

That doesn't sound good at all...also seems like buzzing would not be related to a Z-Wave exclude, sounds more like the HW may be having issues. I'd try resetting the LED strip and see if that helps.

On the hub side, when fighting with Z-Wave, I always do a shut down/wait a minute/power back up step at each session to at least start w/a clean Z-Wave radio boot.

You can primarily thank SilLabs for their series 700 FW and related rules of engagement. [sigh]

Well I did just power it down earlier per @rlithgow1 but it still comes back to the same thing. Everything is working okay maybe I just ignore it for the time being?

Solved... broke out the Zwave stick and found the directions and gave that a shot.... BINGO it's gone now. RIP

3 Likes

Cool...glad it's resolved.

Now, to avoid future issues w/Z-Wave:

1. Remove all Z-Wave devices from your home

You're welcome. :wink:

Funny thing I live in a condo on the beach. I went with lots of Zwave to get the devices away from 2.4Ghz WiFi since Zigbee works there too. Did it cuz I can see so many routers from my condo. Oh well… most of my new stuff is Zigbee unless I can’t find one to do the job.

1 Like

z-wave is fine. It's the ghosts that get ya... I've been lobbying for a couple of years to put in a warning during pairing that if there is a failed pairing, STOP, check for the ghost and remove it before proceeding.

2 Likes