Unable to keep Xiaomi Aqara Motion Sensors Connected

As I said over in the Monoprice thread...

We have a Compatible thread. We have an Incompatible thread.

Maybe we need a "Price isn't worth the Hassle" thread? To protect the next buyer from this level of grief.

Won't help anyone here that already spent on them, but would help some future visitor. Perhaps, depending on their Search skills. :smiley:

1 Like

The irony here is that I remember months of chuckling while on ST, and reading all the posts of Xiaomi frustrations, while mine were humming along nicely (after the initial pairing frustrations). I guess I deserve it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I started off with these on ST. Never had any issues.
Moved to HE and had issues as, I believe, my zigbee channel was 25.
Moved to channel 22 no issues.
Personally I don't think it's the devices, more the set up of your router and hub channels and any possible neighbour interference issues.

Just my opinion though. :wink:

2 Likes

And more than likely the strength of the HE dongle radio.

BTW, when was the last/first time you changed the batteries in these little buggers? I've only changed batteries in my Aqaras just because they were falling off.

My originals are almost 2 years old and haven't needed battery swaps.

Do you know what repeaters they are, and have you used something like XCTU with an XBee to see which repeaters they were actually routing through (if any) on both ST and Hubitat? Just asking because it's possible the ST ZigBee radio (from the ST controller itself) was stronger than that from the Hubitat stick, so maybe your devices are using different routers on Hubitat compared to ST. Many are reported to have problems on Hubitat, which some ST users have also noticed. (This could especially be true if you paired them hear the hub was was recommended on ST but tried pairing in-place on Hubitat--you mentioned they're in hte same locations, so I'm not sure.)

I don't know why there'd be differences between repeaters on ST and Hubitat. My suspicion is that there really isn't, and I just don't read the ST forums much enough anymore to see that their users are equally aware. But I also suspect Hubitat users are better able to test and troubleshoot things like this. :slight_smile: (But the Xiaomi devices themselves are definitely reported to "work" with both controllers, keeping in mind that we're doing something non-standard and it's just luck and careful hub firmware that keeps these working--and the repeater behavior should be the same regardless of controller, so it's hard to say without knowing how they were/are routing.)

In any case, besides the excellent suggestions above (including checking your channels), there is a lot of advice, including known good/bad repeaters, in this thread: Xiaomi & Aqara Devices - Pairing & Keeping them connected. I'd check it out if you haven't already.

1 Like

When these devices were first purchased and added to ST, they built themselves a mesh.

Install Hubitat and take one and re-pair it to Hubitat. How much of the ST mesh just got wiped out? Keep subtracting from ST and adding to Hubitat, there's no sure bet that the current order of adding yields a mesh as functional as the one that also doens't exist anymore on ST.

I do not wish to say my invented scenario has anything to do with the current, specific issues of @MEarly... just MORE food for thought.

depricated drivers are left in place, they are removed from the pairing list and are not available in the UI for manual selection, but any depricated drivers will continue to function.
So I'm not sure what the reference here is.

1 Like

Channel 21 for me and 2x xbees - rock steady since connection some months ago
Wifi on channel 6 which is probably not the best

Andy

That's good to know Mike. So, I guess it was just coincidence that my Osram bulbs all stopped functioning after the update, with no control even via Edit Device. Sorry about that asinine assumption that it was related to driver changes..

A quick suggestion, though. Maybe instead of defaulting the device driver to the first on the dropdown, maybe the GUI could in some way display the deprecated driver and denote that it is still active. I actually lost alot of my Edit Device functionality by updating the driver (the new driver REMOVES functionality) because the GUI makes it seem like the deprecated driver no longer works/exists.

I'd just like to get back to the functionality I had back in March.

which was what, specifically for which device/driver?

Honestly, at this point I don't even remember what the other driver had at this point, but it was replaced by the Generic Zigbee CT (dev) driver. Several controls were removed from the portal UI.

Not life-changing, obviously. I believe I can still do everything I need with manual input. My preference was simply for the old driver controls.

yeah, about the only commands in that driver that appear of substantive value being levelUp and levelDown, however these aren't part of any defined level capability.
It's really quite simple to replicate that function via BC (using adjust dimmers), that's how I do it.

1 Like

I'm upgraded to the latest firmware and all has started working again. Including webcore. I only have 5 xiaomi motion sensors, but they're working very well now that all of the bs has subsided. I'd upgrade and make sure that you make a backup of this new firmware. I've been on it since it was released and everything is running very well.

2 Likes

Just a friendly heads up... when you perform a Hubitat backup, you’re backing up the configuration database for the current version of firmware, not the actual firmware. This has been a point of confusion in the past, so I wanted to make sure it was clear. Previous firmware can be restored as well, by browsing to http://yourhubIP:8081.

1 Like

Having the same issue here. On ST they were rock solid, and once I’d sorted my channels out, they did appear to be steady on HE. Now I have two which keep dropping. One, then the other but never seem to be at the same time. I have no repeaters here, certainly didn’t need them on ST. Going to re-pair today, but knock the HE channel to 20, then change the Hue. Currently Hue is on 20, HE on 25 and WiFi on 2. Fingers crossed.

Be mindful that those Tradfri bulbs you wrestled with recently may or may not be reliable repeaters for Xiaomi devices. In my experience, when rebuilding a mesh, it's best to get all of the Xiaomis reporting and stable before adding power to non-bridged smart bulbs. YMMV

1 Like

Very true, but nothing to lose in trying. When on ST, the Xiaomi were connected only to ST and worked very well, it was the introduction of the Tradfri which caused me issues, which I wasn't expecting. At least I kind of know what to expect this time around :wink:

1 Like

I have 3 Aqara RTCGQ11LM sensors which have been nothing but frustrating to me. They paired as zigbee devices instantly, However they have been extremely unreliable for motion control. I tried installing drivers and even enhanced my zigbee mesh with a bunch of IKEA plugs with no luck. I just replaced them with Sonoff SNZB-03 which are working great so far.

If looks like some people on this forum are happy with the Aqara sensors. If anyone wants my three, I will be happy to send them for the price of shipping.

1 Like

The problem with the Aqara devices is that they are not standard ZHA1.2. And are very unstable on meshes unless every single repeater is Aqara-compatible.

I have ~60 Aqara devices and recently moved most to a Xiaomi Mijia hub that I integrate with Hubitat using Node-RED. I am awaiting a second Mijia hub before I move the rest off as well.

Good decision.