Unable to get Kwikset 620 recognized by my C-8

I guess this is somewhat of a Hail Mary considering the existing topics on the subject. I have a C-8 and about 40-50 devices configured (mostly Zooz wall switches, 2 thermostats - all z-wave) all added with no issues. Now I'm trying to get my kiwiset lock connected.

I've moved my C-8 to within a foot of the lock, started Z-wave inclusion and pressed the "A" button once - what the Kwikset manual calls Add Mode.

Nothing happens. The hubitat does not recognize anything.

Tried a factory reset of the lock. No go. Anything else I can try?

Try excluding three lock first, should get a message that an unknown device has been exclude if successful. After that retry the include.

I have many of these and suffered greatly at times pairing.

1. Be fairly close.
  2. Exclude first as suggested
  3. If it tries to pair but never completes, my big pain, try to remove the ghost if you see one and reboot with a power off. Otherwise your in for a world of circular hurt.

Wow. I really want the last 5 hours of my life back. That experience was horrible. A big thank you to those who commented on this topic as well as other topics. Putting what worked for me here in hopes it may help someone in the future....

Before you begin, you'll need to temporarily place your hubitat very close - as in 1 foot - of the lock. If it's already on the door, grab an extension cord and long ethernet cable.

1. I had to do a factory reset on my lock. Quick steps for that...
  • Remove the cover from the lock exposing the "A"dd button (top) and Program button (bottom)
  • Place the dead bolt in the locked position
  • Remove the battery pack
  • While holding the Program button, put in the battery pack. Continue to hold the Program button for 30 secs until the lock beeps
  • Release then press the Program button once. The light should flash red / green and the bolt should retract then come out again. One final beep and you're done.
  1. You need to add the lock with Security enabled. There's a QR code on the lock with a 5 digit PIN written on the side of it. Take note of that code.

2. Shutdown the hubitat (Settings > Shutdown). When it's down, relocate it so it's a foot from the lock. Wait at least 30 secs before you plug it back in again. When it's by the lock and connected to the network, plug it in and wait for it to boot.

3. Go to add device. I did an add via Brand > Kwikset > Connect 620 (I assumed that would ensure the right driver).

4. Start Z-Wave inclusion

5. On the lock, press the "A"dd button (above the program button). The lock should light red

6. Pray that hubitat sees the new device and gives you the option to add with or without security - Select WITH security

7. You'll be prompted for that 5 digit PIN from the QR code

And now I have the lock on my Z-wave network.

A final shutdown of the hubitat and relocated it back to its rightful home.

I needed to re-add all my user codes since the reset wiped them out.

I really hope this helps someone - and thanks again to all those how helped and documented their efforts. Thanks also to Kwikset support who had to walk me through a proper factory reset since their documentation sucks rocks.

Or just scan it into Smart Start and it will include by itself with the correct security.
And yes, ALL lock require security to include. I have asked they add a note about that somewhere in the inclusion but... :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Sorry I said "fairly close". :wink:
I really meant on top of.
I too used an eth cable for my stubborn kitchen door.
I have joined them right next to the hub before installing.

Is this a Hubitat thing or do all Z-Wave hubs require this lengthy procedure? I was thinking of installing a Z-Wave lock but are quickly changing my mind.

Any zwave device that used what's called "whisper pairing" will have the same requirement regardless of hub.

It was intended to be a (stupid) security feature that advertises the encryption keys at very low power to ensure no one could sniff them out of the air.

Kwikset used it, I'm not sure which other manufacturers did though. Many did not, as it was a pain in the ■■■ to customers.

Edit: at least for kwikset locks note that you can just take the inside part off the door and bring it to the hub though... I've done that a number of times to exclude and re-pair my 620s.

I think this is specific to the lock. I've added over 50 devices (from Zooz) all throughout my house and there were no issues at all adding every one.

After all that, check your z-wave details page for ghosts.

I have Alfred, Yale and Schlage locks. I paired them all either in place or in my office, none near the hub. The 3 that are S2 I just scanned into Smart Start and powered them up. Paired themselves no issues.

For myself I used classic inclusion on on my BE469's and had to pair next to the hub. I know SS is more forgiving because of it's nature but I don't even have the QR codes anymore.