Unable to connect phillips hue bridge

Having trouble connecting my phillips hue bridge to my new habitat hub. I tried installing the app but it does not find the phillips hue hub. They both are on the same network, on the same router. I have tried unplugging my phillips hue bridge and plugging it back in, tried pressing the button on the bridge as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome! Do you happen to have the hue hub already paired up to another hub? I had an issue or two with mine just moving it across the room. I think I did something like a factory reset and push the big button and eventually (minute or more) it came back online.

1 Like

Hi ccoupe, Yes, the hub was already paired to a smarthings hub. I disconnected the smartthings hub and factory reset the phillips hue hub with no luck.

Thank you for the help.

I can't think of many more things to try - Mine works. Do you have the Hue integration App installed in Hubitat? You might try telling your phones's Hue App to lose the hub and devices under it. Smartthings and its app too.

There's no reason the Hue Bridge shouldn't be able to be "paired" with multiple third-party apps/services at the same time. (It's not really pairing like it is for Zigbee or Z-Wave; it's just registering that app with its own unique Hue ID/"username" for authorization to the API.) I'm sure there's a theoretical or practical limit somewhere, but lots of people have probably dozens of these without problem.

As for the problem on the Hubitat side, I'm not sure. Hubitat should listen for an SSDP broadcast from the Hue Brdige in order to discover it, which I think the Bridge sends pretty frequently, but the Hubitat integration app does advise you wait a few minutes. I'd definitely do that just in case. If you haven't tried this already, you could try completely removing the Hue Bridge Integration app on Hubitat, then reinstall it and see if it discovers the Bridge then. Rebooting Hubitat (don't go crazy with this, just once, and do it politely from Settings) or the Hue Bridge also can't hurt, though I see you've tried at least the latter, and maybe even your router just to be extra-sure? :slight_smile:

I also wrote a third-party integration, CoCoHue, that lets you just specify the IP address (so you'd need a static/reserved address for the Bridge), but I'm not out to plug that as a solution here when the built-in integration should work for you, too.

From the habitat apps page, when I try to add a new app (hue bridge intregration app), it just stays on that next page, where you can click cancel or done, I click done and let it stay there and it never finds the hue bridge. I am thinking it might be something to do with my firewall. I am looking into that now.

Thank you again for all your help.

Did you ever find a solution? I have exactly the same issue that I haven't been able to fix for the last few months.

I did find a solution for this...

Make sure your PHB is on the same network as your habitat.
Press the button on the PHB once (feels weird because there is no indicator that your pressed the button).
Then in your habitat portal click Discover Device, ZigBee -> Start ZigBee Pairing.

Hope this helps.

This will not find a Hue Bridge on your network; it is a LAN device, not a Zigbee device (the bulbs use Zigbee to communicate to the Bridge, but that is all invisible to Hubitat). You might be able to make this work if you choose "LAN" instead of "Zigbee" on the "Discovery" page, which I assume could be what you meant; otherwise, adding the Hue Bridge via the Hue Bridge Integration app should work.

If you have a firewall that might be blocking SSDP messages, that would explain why Hubitat never finds it. Otherwise, maybe clicking the button causes the Bridge to send a broadcast (I don't think I've seen this but don't remember looking), so that could have helped.

Having some issue. Used to work flawless it stoped working, removed the hub and the app and now it can't detect it.

Hub is discovered fine by other devices in the network

Did you ever solve your problem? I just got a Hue Bridge and am trying to connect it and it times out after about 5 minutes using the build in app. I also tried the CoCoHue both automatic discovery and manually entering the the IP address (I left the port blank) to no avail. I rebooted the hub once and reinstalled the app and still got nothing.

have you got the latest .116 release. there were some issues with the previous .115 with cloud connection apps.. it could be related.

also try to plug the hue or hubitat into the same switch.. mine would not connect initialiy if they were on separate network segments even though it was the same ip subnet. i had to move it temporarly to get it to connect.

1 Like

Are your HE and your Hue hub on the same switch/router and on the same subnet? And can you ping the Hue hub? Ideally from HE?

I wold suggest perhaps SSDP is disabled but I don't think CoCoHue uses that if you specify the IP address.

This worked. I connected them to the same switch. Now I will attempt to move the Hue Hub back. Thank you for your help!

1 Like

FYI no issues once I had then on same switch and after linked moving back to original location caused no issues. Thank you!

3 Likes

In reference to the posts on this subject concerning CoCOHue: I move around a lot with my job and fight this issue every single time I rebuild my setup. All things being equal (and connected on the same switch/router, etc.) I can always find two of my three hubs, but never the third through the regular Hue Integration app. bertabcd1234 is right-on with everything he posts ... in addition, CoCoHue is the only app that has resolved this issue for me. I run a large network with 3 hue hubs, 3 Hubitat Hubs and near a hundred different hue strips, bulbs, sensors, etc. next to just as many automation devices, cameras, switches, sensors, detectors, thermostats ... which are integrated with Hue, across a Catalyst 3850 Series 48 Port, PoE+ switch so it gets really complicated really fast - KUDOS to you and CoCoHue - your app has made my life much easier!