UltraPro Zwave switch (ZW4008) stuck in 'hold'

I have a newly installed UltraPro (Jasco) ZW4008 switch.

Installed it no issued. work fine. I couldn't screw it into receptacle due to how recessed it was so after testing it, I went to lowes, got new screws, then turned off the breaker, and finally finished the install with plate... blah blah.

After that, turned on breaker and led turns on. Great! I then go to turn it on and... nothing. Try and turn it on / off through hubitat app. Works. Manually, no dice.

I've gone through multiple controllers (Generic Zwave switch, Generic Zwave plus switch, GE Emgbrighten, etc) Still no dice.

Then I notice that it keeps showing that the switch is being held down.

I can't do a hard reset b/c the switch doesn't respond to anything manual.

Is there a way to release the hold via the basic Zwave tool driver?

Reference:

Pulling up the events this is what shows:

Logs show this:

It sounds like the button is physically stuck. Maybe the switch is twisted or tightened unevenly? Or maybe is it binding on the switch plate?

No, and especially no if it is something physical.

It's a 'rocker style' smart switch. There's nothing holding down either the 'up' (on) or 'down' (off) or touching either for that matter.

How does it get 'stuck' in a hold if nothing is touching it?

How about turning the power off at the breaker for a little while?

Not saying this is your situation, but I have had switches get stuck in one position. In my case, a tiny plastic piece that holds the return spring breaks. The rocker/toggle appears to return to it's neutral position, but it doesn't go all of the way.

What did you do to find this issue / troubleshoot / fix this?

I seem to remember that I had this happen one time on a toggle. I can't remember if it was a Zooz or Jasco, either way it might be similar.

• Did you use very short screws in the face plate? They are only about 3-4 threads long. Longer ones, the ones you get with a faceplate, will jam the switch. Try taking off the faceplate.
  • If it isn't that, how did you attach the ground wire? Did you insert it into the hole, or loop it around the screw?

I watched the live logs. If I physically turned the switch on, I would see the 'on' followed by a repeating 'button 1 held' . Quickly turn the switch off and I'd see a repeating 'button 2 held'.

This was the last straw for this manufacturer as I'd had many other failures of their devices and didn't want a replacement, so I installed a different brand and did an autopsy, finding that broken little plastic part.

I would definitely reach out to Jasco support. I've learned misbehaving switches don't usually get better and you certainly don't want it flooding your mesh.

1 Like

I called it in and they sent a new switch as a warranty replace. New switch working fine.

1 Like