UK TRV's

I know, but it still looks strange for me.
Thank you.

Its not like smartthings, where you can build each devices displays, HE is more about automation and not needing controls

2 Likes

I have a new ported driver..........

eTRV Aeotec Radiator Thermostat and Eurotronic Spirit Z-Wave Thermostats

Hi all,

Considering the move from smartthings to Hubitat...in the UK.

Also looking at getting some trvs, having read thread, I'm a little confused. Do these popp ones work with HE?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01I5N9KFY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_5oJGFbD4YN5CM

Lots of refs to SM in the reviews but not hubitat.

Sounds like danfoss lc13 are an option too but they don't report room temp?

(hopefully helpful for other NOOBs that find there way to this thread).

PS: I'm assuming there's isn't a driver for the hive trvs that are popular on SM?

I think the Popp devices are more or less the same as the Danfoss LC-13

A lot of people think that measuring the room temp right beside the rad is not a great idea.

I have a good few Danfoss LC-13's on Hubitat for a couple of years, I'm in the process of changing them out for Aeotec eTRV's at the moment - 10 done, 10 to go......

@simon @60milesmile

Have you considered sacking off the trvs entirely? I did, and it's seriously the best move I made. This works awesome.

See thread and my replies here (it's a short thread)...

Thanks for the quick reply.

So why the move to aeotecs? Cheaper?

1 Like

Ha thanks, yes can see how that works and have used actuators in other projects. But this use case is in my kids room where there's no mains nearby.

Fair enough. I actually power all of mine from a single plug with junctions. 2 amp. Runs throughout the house via trunking etc.

=p

Thanks for sharing your great idea. One thing concerns me though. By fully opening the valve on your radiator it may became quite hot. TRVs tend to use more than two valve positions.

My Danfoss TRV's were just hassle...... some of them kept letting loose on the valve, resulting in the rad being fully on.... they also chewed through AA batteries (or so it seemed)..... they wake up every 15 minutes, so a setpoint change takes on average 7.5 minutes before the TRV gets it (or could be 15 minutes if your unlucky). My Danfoss TRV are all older ones - pre Z-Wave Plus.

The Aeotecs are Z-Wave Plus and use beaming. So a setpoint change takes place almost immediately. Too early yet to know about battery life, but it should be a lot better with Z-Wave Plus.

1 Like

The directly driven actuators (either low voltage DC or mains) are intended to use pulse width modulation. These waveforms are adjusted in duty cycle to open a valve to a specific point eg 2/3 open. You vary that duty cycle as you wish to proportionally open or close a valve. They change position comparatively slowly so they are quite accurate in their setting.

Maybe that is true, but I hadn't thought of it to be honest. And system is happily up and running = p

1 Like

I'm using a Tado system integrated with HE via the Tado app and they work great. I wanted the heating to be handled by something solid that works but also having the ability to control then from HE with Rules. Example: the open window detection built in feature is cool but I made a rule that stops heating and lets me know when the air is fresh again based on a CO2 sensor. Then I get alerted to close the windows again and 5 minutes later, thermostats are set back to their schedules.

I bought the starter kit on offer for 25% off and a 4-pack for quite cheap last year during Black Friday.

OP, did you already find some?

Thats interesting, when you say via the Tado app, does that mean you are using a Tado hub of some kind? keen to minimise the number of these. what protocol do these use, zigbee or zwave plus?

You know what? I don't know what protocol they use, I think bluetooth to talk to the Hub itself. The hub is a very small plug-in "stick" with cable for power and network. Then you can connect the Tado hub with HE via an app, I can send you the code but I'm sure you can find it here too, probably more up-to-date version. So in other words, not sure you can eschew their Hub in lieu of speaking directly to HE. If that's what you want, standalone units like those already mentioned might be a better choice.

The HE driver supports all Tado device types and also can be used as a Presence sensor, getting data from your Tado app and geofencing set up, so you can aggregate that presence "sensor" with that of HE itself or wifi/Life360 and get really accurate presence detection.

I did forget to mention the noise level, you can certainly hear them actuate, but I find that fascinating and a constant reminder of how awesome it is that I don't have to do that manually.

EDIT: Also regarding battery life, they are powered by 2xAA batteries and I have not had to replace them yet, going on almost a year now. They survived a Swedish winter with lots of geofencing before Corona hit, and the savings report the app gives you once a month was very encouraging. Not sure if quite as high as 35% but plausible given how much time I spent out of the house, travelling for work for about a week at a time.

1 Like

The App for HE you need to talk to Tado is: https://community.hubitat.com/t/release-tado-connect/1600

It needs your account log in details....it is also unsupported now but it still works reliable. One issue the developer left the debug logging on so it produces a lot of logs.

1 Like

The debug logging can easily be fixed by commenting those lines, I did it on mine.

Hi, could you explain how I comment out the lines? is it all the lines with debug on?

I assume I have to do the App and the Drivers.

Sorry for being a bit thick,

Thanks

Just put // before the debug

// log.debug ..........

2 Likes