UK TRV's

Most modern boilers have a internal bypass. But i also always have a rad fully open in the bathroom

1 Like

I have one of those towel racks in the bathroom. Would that help? It has no valve and always heats up it boiler is on. That will reduce the risk if I decide to try TRV valves automation?

Cheers
J

Yea , it's no different smart trv or old style Trv's
They both close the valve

1 Like

Many thanks to Mark Cockcroft. Tado is no longer flooding the hub with debug logs.
Thank god for the "find and replace" function in Text Editor, otherwise I'd have been been inserting " // log.debug " for a month of Sundays! :slight_smile:

Is anyone using the salus trv?

what driver are you using

Im looking at buying these Drayton wiser Trv's . Are these now fully supported by hubitat?

Thanks

Not that I'm aware of. I never got it working correctly

Ah ok that's a shame as they seem pretty cheap atm.

Hi Jim,
I've been using Eurotronic zigbee for about two winters by now and they work well. The only disadvantage is that I couldn't find a more advanced community driver to use more features but it is doing the job. Opposite of many other people in the community I am using the driver for Sinope TH1300ZB thermostat rather than Zen.

1 Like

My (UK-based) wife and I are about to move into a new house, and as it's only got a dumb 7-day timer at the moment switching over to a new smart thermostat's fairly high on our to-do list.

We've had Nests at the last few houses, and they've done the job well enough, but this time round we've been considering something we can do room-by-room control on.

Tado had been top of the list of candidates, but then I discovered that it has no local timer/scheduling at all - if the house loses internet access the system stays in its then-current state until the internet's back up or you adjust things manually. While the local internet at the new place is generally reliable this is still something we're wary of.

I've also made the provisional decision to keep the heating on a dedicated system (ideally with API access Hubitat can make high level changes through) rather than put all the house's eggs in the one rather busy HE-controlled basket.

Do any of the earlier contributors to this thread know whether the other systems that've been covered (Honeywell, Drayton, etc...) handle the internet going down in a better way?

(And, while I'm asking...whether they allow you to start with a simple "single thermostat managing the house as a whole", then add in room-level TRVs as time permits.)

1 Like

I'm in the UK also and use the Honeywell EvoHome system. I've had it a good few years now and long before I started dabbling with home automation. I got mine from evohomeshop.co.uk as they do various bundles containing a quantity of TRVs, boiler relay and controller (and they have some decent installation guides on there). I installed mine myself and it was straightforward. It works very well and I've had very few issues - a few Honeywell server outages from time to time affecting only the app.

The optimisation settings are very good and the TRVs learn how long it takes to reach the temperature you want. So if you have a zone set to come on at 22 Celsius at 8AM, the system will look at the actual temperature in the room and come on so that it's at temperature at your set point time.

Will my thermostat still work if I lose my internet connection?

Yes, your thermostat will keep working with the schedule it has stored in its memory.

However you will not be able to remotely control your heating system until an internet connection is restored.

I now have my EvoHome working with HE as well since last year. Each room where I have a dashboard has control fro that specific room on the dash. I have virtual switches set up for Economy, Auto, Day Off etc. I've several rules that have actions that use the integration with HE. My goodnight rule does a set point resume on any zones that I've temporarily overridden, I have rules that switch the individual room TRV down to 5 degrees when a window/door is opened for more than 20 seconds and resume to the set point when closed.

1 Like

I also have the Evohome TRV’s, how have you setup controlling the TRV temp from HE?

@CliveS There's a community app that @ApriliaEdd ported over from a SmartThings integration by codersaur. He doesn't maintain it anymore - it was more a personal project to get his system working with Hubitat from memory (I believe he's moved onto Home Assistant now). However it works fine (other than generating a bit too much logging). I'll find the thread with the link and post it here shortly...

Edit: Here you go - the thread with link to the code:

1 Like

Thanks for the info @johnwill1 - EvoHome's now the new top-of-list item! :+1:

Thanks @djh_wolf too - that sounds like a significantly more HE-controllable (and cheaper!) setup, but likely too involved for our purposes on this move. Time's going to be very limited, so an off the shelf solution we can install and start using immediately's our main focus. Next move, on the other hand... :thinking:

2 Likes

You have to have a suitable driver to achieve local control implemented with an automation controller and some ‘advanced’ evoHome drivers require extra hardware to work locally eg a radio link transceiver, Only available on HomeAssistant I believe. Most other evoHome integrations logon via the cloud for update and control. However as you initially asked the scheduling will continue without Internet access, which is probably a satisfactory solution for you.

Drayton I believe offers local control via their hub. (?) Not aware of an HE driver

As you mentioned Tado offers local control via HomeKit but the scheduling is still cloud implemented and if the cloud goes down your devices go into a dumb control mode within HomeKit.

I think Heat Genius will schedule locally and can be administered via a web interface. Behind the scenes it’s Pi based with Danfoss TRV’s

PS. I’m using evoHome but via an integration in HA linking to MQTT and therefore controllable via most things including HE

1 Like

How's the MQTT app coming along @Kevin ? - I'm still on a much earlier beta than current, but it's been perfect for linking up my Honeywell Galaxy alarm. All the PIR's are mirrored to virtual HE devices as are additional devices such as microswitches in locks and window contacts - all used in various RM rules (linking to EvoHome in some instances). It's probably the most used app I have with Hubitat - it's great :+1:t2: :grinning:

Glad it's working John. I don't want to derail this topic with MQTT - I only mentioned it in passing to illustrate a way to use another integration for evoHome, like the HA one, as a possibility to get true local control within HE.

Ian I think will be very happy with the HE integration I'm sure and if his needs surpass that I'm happy to provide more information on how to achieve local control of evoHome - but it's one of the more convoluted setups.

The latest 3e version of MQTT app is available on PM request and I recommend everyone updates to it. I haven't published it publicly because I then get deluged with people who are new to MQTT and unsure why they want it. That's a support nightmare that due to current circumstances I don't have the time and patience to handle as I would like. Do PM me or start a new topic if you would like more info though John.