UK: Neighbour wins privacy row over smart doorbell and cameras

1 Like

From the article, it sounds like the cameras may have overreached. People generally have no expectation of privacy on that portion of their property adjacent to public thoroughfares. Many people would have an expectation of privacy in their back yard and garden. It sounds like the cameras were aimed in such a way as to provide surveillance of the neighbors property rather than simply to detect intrusions into his own property.

The problem should have been handled without going to court. If the man had told his neighbor what his intentions were before installing the cameras, the woman could have expressed her concerns. Once the cameras were installed, and the woman voiced her concerns, if the man had apologized and relocated/aimed the cameras to avoid spying on the neighbor's property and activity, the outcome would have been less contentious.

2 Likes

Typical UK news story, not the full story. How can his door camera view his neighbours house down the road. How wide is this lens? :rofl:

Interestingly nothing was said about the other neighbour's Ring which was even closer!

1 Like

As I stated in my first post, no individual has an expectation to privacy on those portions of their property that face the public thoroughfare. That would include streets and sidewalks. A doorbell camera at the front door of the house is unlikely to be considered to be an invasion of privacy, especially if the individual installing it set up a perimeter to trigger alarms only adjacent to his own property.

A live view of my front doorbell camera will show houses in the front yards of houses across the street, but my alarm does not trigger if their is activity in neighbors yards, the street or public sidewalks. If someone comes onto my driveway or property, the alarm will trigger.

The news articles never indicate what views can be seen from the second camera installed on the back of the house. If that camera could be use to spy on a neighbor sunbathing in their garden, that could well be judged to be an invasion of privacy just as using a telescope or drone camera to peer in a neighbor's bedroom window could be judged unsuitable.

Good communication make good neighbors. Contentious communication is a recipe for trouble.

Another issue of the complaint was the audio surveillance, which could record her conversations in both her front and rear garden. The Ring doorbell was less of an issue but the other front camera was almost exclusively covering his neighbours land. As @rwclements228 mentioned, the judge also took exception to his confrontational and aggressive approach during attempts at resolving the issue before the court case.

I can can also hear everything my neighbour says in his front garden and thats without the ring ever alerting me he.s just a very loud sod

2 Likes

:rofl: :laughing: :rofl: