UI speed still challenging on a C8Pro?

Interesting. I have my z-wave radio disabled on my C8Pro as I have all z-wave traffic running through my C8. I do have about 25 zigbee devices on the C8Pro. I am slowly moving everything off to the C7. I would expedite this process and disable the radio if I knew it would make a difference.

Just out of curiosity - how many rules do you have running on your C8? With around 450 rules I can't help believe that there is some connection between slowdown and rules running.

I don't know for certain, but in the logs, it shows 201 "apps." So not a real heavy user in those terms. I am running hub mesh (but I also was on all the other hubs when I used them). Around 33 Z-Wave devices and 76 Zigbee (24-25 are repeaters). A Lutron hub with around 29 devices. Some LAN devices meshed in from the other hub (which updates very quickly). I will say the actual update process probably isn't much slower than the LAN hub, but the download takes forever. When I had 4 hubs running, I could update the 3 other hubs in consecutive fashion and the main hub would still be downloading. Backup time is comparable between the two.

Not quite to the level you have experienced, but I did notice my performance took a big hit when I was running some high traffic LAN integrations on it. UI was slower and I noticed zwave and zigbee devices seemed slower to respond.

I resolved the issue by moving the integrations over to my second hub (which I should have done to start with, as its entire purpose is to run Network integrations).

This makes me wonder how Hubitat Elevation manages multi tasking. I never saw more than 20% CPU load on my C8P, and yet it ran like it was a Linux PC @ 90% load.

Many modern operating systems assign themselves priority access to CPU core or two, to prevent the OS from becoming sluggish - this might be worth looking into for the Hubitat team? @mike.maxwell @bcopeland @bobbyD

How did you determine which integrations these were? Trial and error? Also which ones were they? Might help me to offload things onto other hubs to help speed things up?

That was easy, I knew exactly what I’d installed and when the performance started dropping.

The main ones were InfluxDb, Fronius inverter, and Tesla Powerwall manager.

I normally only run the radios and the bulk of my automations from my primary hub and only run LAN integrations on my secondary.

It was my own fault as I was being a bit lazy, however, my solar and battery management integrations + rules run every minute and as a result work the hub quite hard.

That said, I’ve found my Secondary C7 performance is completely fine - I suspect this is due to it not running any radios.

@simon4 you might want to follow this conversation I’m having with a couple of devs that have CPU monitoring functions in their apps.

Interesting. I have the z-wave radio disabled on my C8Pro hub. But I do have the zigbee radio enabled running some devices. I keep most of my zigbee devices on my C7 hub.

I didn't mov all zigbee off the C8Pro to the C7 as I had some devices that were tricky to get setup.

But I think as my next step I will start moving all zigbee off to the C7 hub and work on shutting down the Zigbee antenna. Presumably that will help to reduce the load and may improve performance. If nothing else it keeps things clean.

The other thing that I have always wondered about is the Ecobee suite:

It is consistently showing as using half of the buy time. I did post on the developers thread to better understand this. Things got a little defensive but the basic position is that in this case it is 42.1% of 16.4% busy time which is 6.9%. As a test I could uninstall this plugin and compare before and after performance. But this does seem a bit arbitrary.

1 Like

I have switched from using a Hubitat cloud-based integration with Ecobee (either the built-in one or Ecobee Suite) to using a completely local Ecobee integration. The solution I use does require an always on instance of Home Assistant. If you have HA already running, then you can simply use its "HomeKit Device" integration to add your Ecobee thermostat(s) to HA. Then, use the Home Assistant Device Bridge (HADB) to bring the thermostat(s) into Hubitat over your LAN. (Note: One does NOT need an Apple iPhone device in order to use the Home Assistant HomeKit Device integration.)

This provides a 100% local LAN-based integration between Ecobee/HA/HE that has been working very well for my needs. Just be aware that this solution does not provide as full featured a solution as the Ecobee Suite does.

1 Like

Good suggestion. I am running a Home Assistant Green and already using the HomeKit Device plugin for Aqara and Abode. Will look into that as a way to offload some more from the hub.

1 Like

On second thoughts I might leave the Ecobee on the Hubitat.

I use Home Assistant for playing around but I try not to use it for anything I depend on. Breaking changes occur pretty much monthly and I don't want my thermostats to suddenly go down and then have to spend all of the time figuring out what is wrong with it to get heating and cooling back up and running.

The latest Home Assistant update broke my iCloud tracking. A month ago it was the Aqara that I am using for the FP2's. A month before that it was the Hubitat integration and it required a HACS update, and I can't figure out how to get the HACS section to notify me of updates.

I will install the HomeKit connection to play around with but I need to solve my speed problem and keep as much, if not all, integrations running on my Hubitat as it is far more reliable than Home Assistant.

just to add latest update.
upgrading from 2.3.9.158 to 2.3.9.160
The hub with just LAN devices, hub mesh, etc, took about 4-5 minutes to update.
The hub with my Z* devices, hub mesh, and rules took about 21 minutes.

I started the "main" hub update before backing up and updating the LAN one, and the download part was at 25% on main hub when the UI booted up on the LAN.

How long does it take you to open a rule for editing, change the title of the rule, etc? I am seeing consistency between your update times and mine and curious if this carries through to other hub activities? Thanks.

It's a second or so on my C-8 Pro. I haven't noticed any delays in the UI or interaction with the hub. It's just the update that takes so long. Same thing on the previous iterations of the "main" hub (C7, then C8 before the pro).

On the download and install time, change your network speed to auto..

I'll try that, but I believe I switched it to 100 from auto as one of the few troubleshooting steps I did earlier.

1 Like

My main hub, the C8Pro, did start originally as a C5, then C7, then C8 and now C8Pro. So we have that in common.

Roughly how many rules do you have? I am wondering if the number of rules you have impacts the speed on the UI. The other area I am looking at is the apps I have installed - in case one of those is slowing down the UI. Some have posted references to certain apps causing this issue.

Across the various apps, I probably have around 200 or so (including room lighting, button controller, rule machine, etc.).

Over the years I've switched the setting back and forth a couple of times, IIRC. Seems like the connection negotiation between the hub and router can get "stuck" and changing the setting breaks up the traffic jam. Right now my C8 is on Auto and my C7 is on Fixed and both have good/fast connections. YMMV... :slight_smile:

Updating from .160 to .162 after changing the network back to auto negotiated was quick. So no idea why it works better now than it did however many releases ago when troubleshooting steps indicated switching to 100 was a possible remedy. It might have been on a previous hub, so ¯_(ツ)_/¯ . But was great this time around.

As my slowdown seems to be hub wide I assuming the update speed is related to this and not the network settings. But I am going to play around with the network settings to see if this improves.