Ubiquiti router recommendation

doesn't cover the other instances nor after I rebooted it today... where I experienced the same issues

I went with cat6a. The whole thing is wired for 10gbps for that moment a few years hence when I replace all the electronics with faster stuff. And I did end runs for all the APs and switches back to the distribution switch. I could have hung the APs off the nearest access switch but if you're opening up walls for the first time in 130 years ya gotta do it so it will at least last my lifetime. After that... who cares!

I pulled out all the coax and phone wiring... cord-cutter, not looking back!

1 Like

I cut the cord too, amazing how much you save a month. But the coax I ran is definitely coming in handy with my attic digital antenna. It supplies the signal to all the TVs via coax.

No OTA for me. If they won't stream it, I ain't watching it.

1 Like

Until you find you've subscribed to so many streaming services that you're right back up there again. :wink:

Same...I considered OTA but we have nearby mountains that pretty much ruin channel reception in the area.

The main issue (first world level) is we are constantly finding ourselves in the "Where were we watching that show, again?" mode when we are looking for a series we had been watching, but stopped for a bit, so its source has faded.

Hmm...did we see it on Hulu or Netflix? Or Amazon or AppleTV? Or was it HGTV or YoutubeTV? Disney+ or PBS or Rakuten or Crunchyroll, or ?

"I was two episodes from the finale - WHERE THE F*** IS IT?!!?!"

:smiley:

5 Likes

Just ran some more cat6 from the basement up to the attic to add one more port upstairs plus one more E1.31 holiday lighting. While I can do it... I can't say I enjoy it as much as you seem to. :rofl:

2 Likes

I probably should have run cat6 instead of cat6a. the 6a stuff is a bit of a beast. But future-proof for sure.

OK, so here's the plan:

• I fly you to my town
  • You run all my cable
  • I fly you home with batch of homemade sourdough bread, jam, and bolognese lasagna

Call now, operators are waiting... :wink:

I am SUCH a doofus. I had meant to tell the electrician to run a cable to the garage for the potential future desire to add an AP out there. Went into the crawl space above the garage to locate it and bring it down through the wallboard, and the cable isn't there. [Insert muffled, but loud cursing coming from the ceiling.]

Looked at wiring instructions I sent to electrican three months ago and, of course, it's not there. Totally forgot to include it. Crap...why do I let me get involved in my projects!?! :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

Me.

1 Like

Earlier in the thread... I pondered switching to AT&T fiber. Well, I did last night! worst sign up experience ever... only took 3 hours to sign up. The problems continue... I have been receiving emails all day asking me to review my sign up but clicking on the links generate bad URLs. login to my account and it is empty all morning. Finally this afternoon, it populated with stuff. One was a link to review how to prepare for installation ... another bad URL. i am prompted to set up recovery number but there is no field to enter my phone number. My last sign in, I was prompted to agree to terms for data plan, I open the link to what I assume is old because on the sign up...it shows unlimited data for plan but the link in the agree to lists a 1 gig data limit with $50 charge for first 50gb overage and
$10 after. So far... really scared!!

Bummer on your experience. I would recommend to anyone to go to a local ATT store and sign up instead. Neighbor just did last week and got all sorts of rebates over and beyond the online ones. Then during install a rep came by to check in. Maybe its just Charlotte?

For any other U6 users who also like to live on the edge...new FW version released. Installed this AM using controller 6.4.54 and no issues noted so far.

https://community.ui.com/releases/UAP-Firmware-5-77-2/268de3e2-ff8a-4817-b5ab-d1486cfa0223?page=1

I am one neighborhood away from AT&T Fiber and a friend of mine over there had just as bad of a experience for signing up for AT&T Fiber services for his install appointment. The way I seem to read the terms of service is that you hae to use their DNS, ONT, etc to keep unlimited data and the price. I guess they are using these items to "collect" usage to sell to Google. I did put an Untangled router and a Pi-Hole DNS using DNS over HTTPs to provide private lookups behind AT&T gateway because the features just stink in AT&T's hardware. To trick out AT&T on the DNS the router still uses their DNS and I guess it just pings a few times a day for Time, software updates, etc, meeting the minimum use of their DNS.

I will say the service is "FAST!" compared to my VDSL 100 mbps download. What bothers me is that they are doing CGNAT on his fiber side where on my my VDSL side I am still native IPv4. That is another reason I am will not update to their fiber services if it makes it to my neighborhood.

Ha I just realized I typed 1 gb limit when I should have typed 1 tb for the data cap.

1 Like

That MIGHT be reasonable but those overage charges could be a bummer!

Good to know. I gave up trying to fix as non-essential but it is a dissatisfier.

1 Like

Dream Machine SE is in stock... the question is... for how long :slight_smile:

plus a new doorbell and camera in early access (out of stock)

I wonder why they renamed it as the Dream Machine SE instead of the Dream Machine Pro SE it was originally called.

I really want a Smart Sensor (I think that would be nice to add into my drivers) and one of the rack mount power units. Especially since I am debating a major rework of my network rack area.

I’m tired of the lag and low batteries with my ring (with solar) cameras and doorbells, so I’m thinking of switching to the UI POE cameras and doorbell. The $200 per cat run by a pro is holding me back, with thinking 6-7 runs.

That and UI always being out of stock.

Of course it is, because the return window on my recently purchased UDM Pro just expired. That's the way it always works.

Looks like it's no longer an early access product either.