Ubiquiti router recommendation

So your old wifi is offline of course... satellites if you have them etc.

Although I noticed that Ubiquiti will alert you if there is a dup SSID in the area which is cool.

I just took a look at my listings and everything is there even the devices that have gone offline temporarily (sleeping etc).

So long way of saying I dunno... :man_shrugging:

Not offline, but different SSID... I think it narrows down to Unifi thinks they are not active but they are.

I have seen that with mine at times. Devices functioning but not listed. Very frustrating a couple times (when I needed to check something's IP). None of them were phones. Have not made any determination of commonality between them over time. Plus, I usually do not notice if something is "gone" if it still works.

I understand MAC randomization... But it is frustrating at home.

1 Like

On the client device tab do they show the green dot?

I don't think they are showing on the device tab is the issue I guess.

Under display options turn on the Show all devices slider maybe?

2 Likes

So I ran a scan this morning on 2.4 to start...results below:

2021-09-24 11_16_40-UniFi Network
2021-09-24 11_16_49-UniFi Network

Can someone interpret this for me? It seems like things are pretty wide-open on 2.4, or am I misunderstand how this works?

I just looked at my client list and noticed that many clients were not showing up.

I fiddled around in the "Filters" section:
2021-09-24 11_37_06-UniFi Network

And what worked for me was changing from "All devices" to just the U6-LR, and then back to "All Devices."

1 Like

I found if I just select offline devices it works, but the devices are clearly not offline... very weird.

I opened a support ticket.

2 Likes

I had this happen to me last night after setting up my LRs. I restarted the APs and the controller and they came back. Been fine ever since. Please keep us posted on the support ticket.

1 Like

Not much to say about it other than it looks like your out in the sticks somewhere without much interference and not a lot of clients.

Wider channels are faster but you may run into compatibility issues with older devices. I get around this by creating multiple wifi networks.

I stick all my IoT stuff in a 20mhz 2.4ghz only ssid since constant connectivity is a higher priority than speed. IoT devices usually cheap out on the components so compatibility can sometimes be an issue.

Fast devices that we interact with like phones and tablets get the max bandwidth and both 2.4 and 5 ghz bands.

Cameras get stuck in a 2.4 ghz 40mhz ssid. Even with max resolution and fps the bandwidth from each is still less than 50mbps per camera.

Still nothing beats wired for a whole host of reasons so I hardwire everything I can.

1 Like

Quick update on my installation...

Circling back in case anyone else ever encounters an Update Failed when upgrading firmware via Controller. I followed these instructions to cache the update on the controller and then was able to update the firmware on my 2 APs successfully. Not sure why it couldn't download and then apply like I have been able to do for many years but at least I have a workaround.

Connectivity in the middle and back of my house has been awesome and I haven't had to disable and enable Wifi on my iPhone like in the past. But... my son was complaining about connectivity as his bedroom is in the front of the house (bottom part of the U) and also my Ring doorbell camera on the front of my house was falling offline. I solved this by installing one of the UAP-AC-Lite's under my stairs where my Asus router and other network equipment is located. I was hoping the "LR" would give adequate coverage for the entire house but unfortunately there are some dead spots in the front of the house which this third AP will solve. If/When I get the UDR it has Wifi anyway so it would be providing coverage to the front of the house and I can remove the AC-Lite.

The Unifi Controller is providing better Wifi coverage than having it plus the Asus Wifi (previously I had both Asus Wifi and Unifi Wifi enabled using same SSIDs) - seems to allow better roaming between the APs being on the same system.

I noticed the same too.. our LR is in a closet on our 2nd floor and towards the back of the house (closet it pretty centered from left to right) and did exactly what you did - added the Lite to our front basement. Working well.

Am wondering if I should try and relocate the LR to our first floor game closet which is pretty much in the middle of the house. The trouble is our house is old and somewhat cobbled together and all the budweiser cans from the 70s buried in the walls cause weird signal issues.

1 Like

Thanks.

LOL...not in the sticks, just that neighbors aren't too close, and no one is blasting out Wi-Fi abusively. I offered to help neighbors set Wi-Fi channels to reduce our overall interference/crowding some time ago. My closest neighbor agreed and I moved him to a clearer channel (better for both of us). Others more techy said they would try different channels on their own, and one actually did improve his channel selection. So that helped. I hope my RF scans keep making it look like I live in the middle of Iowa. :wink:

Sounds like we have similar setups...I have IoT on its own VLAN\network, so it is separated from phones, laptops, and NAS devices on the main VLAN which is on a different network. Both IoT and Main VLANs have 5g/2.4g, as I have a few streaming devices on IoT that I connect to 5g. I also use ethernet whenever possible, it's just so simple and trouble-free.

Updated to current release controller 6.4.54 yesterday and things are looking OK, no issues noticed yet.

2 Likes

Glad you worked it out. Funny, I've always cached before updating, probably because I got used to that approach w/my Netgear switches, which require a separate manual download of the FW before you can start the update. Maybe that's why I've never run into a problem updating the NanoHD or U6-LR.

Nice...and you'd hope/expect that Unifi-Unifi would play better together. :slight_smile:

But, they are protecting you from the alien mind-control signals coming from the dark side of the moon. So you've got that going for you... :wink:

3 Likes

I had to fiddle a fair amount to get HE working ok on a separate IoT VLAN. First I had to create a custom port profile that turned off port isolation to allow my HEs to talk to my Lutron and Hue hubs. Then I had to turn on IGMP snooping to allow multicast, and that got hub mesh working again.

2 Likes

Yeah have not gone down that road yet.. same issue with Sonos I guess.

So you have your HE's on an IoT VLAN, and have your Lutron and Hue hubs on a different VLAN or network, or ? Just curious how you're setting things up. I have all of my IoT on the same VLAN on either 2.4g/5g networks. Most of my work was creating firewall rules to allow my main VLAN to initiate connections to the IoT side, but only allow the IoT side to connect/talk when the connection was initiated from the main VLAN.

For anyone still looking, just got a "back in stock" email from UI.

2 Likes

What’s the deal with Unifi’s Early Access program? I see the new Dream Router Will first launch in early access so curious what this means exactly. I signed up for that program this weekend but do folks that have been in it longer get priority? Is it a pipe dream to even think I will be able to get one any time soon?