Ubiquiti router recommendation

I wouldn't buy a USG with the UXG out in early access. The USG is dated and almost EOL at this point. If your internet connection is any higher than 250mbps or has the potential to be throughout the lifespam of the deployment, you'll find yourself limited by the older hardware.

2 Likes

Not a big miss if they also sell a bunch of POE switches after they sell the UDM Pro. :wink: Perhaps Ubiquiti's greatest strength is helping its customers (including me) empty their pockets. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@stephack do you have it integrated into HE at all, if so how?

I backdoored mine.

I added a SAGE doorbell sensor to the Bell circuit. That allows Hubitat to generate notifications when the Ubiquiti Doorbell is rung, but I (not answering for @stephack here), am not aware of any way to integrate Ubiquiti stuff into Hubitat...

S.

2 Likes

I donot. I plan to integrate it with Home Assistant soon though.

Frankly, I'm glad it's separate. I like the fact that the UDMP is fanless and very affordable for what you get. Adding POE would add cost and heat. What I do wish was that the had a 16 port or 8 port second gen POE switch with more that ~45 watt budget. I ended up buying a used first gen switch so it could provide enough power for my cams and ap's.

There is a great HE driver that works well with HE/Unifi (not UDM Pro). I've been using it, but it's currently not working with UDM. It does work with USG.

There is also a Node-Red node (node-red-contrib-unifi) that does work for UDM Pro and USG. Too easy!

1 Like

You're right of course, I forgot about that. I have it installed but I haven't messed with it enough to get a good idea of what it can do, all I recall is that it dumps the unifi configuration, but I don't recal that it can read events...

S.

My USG does ok with my gigabit connection. I can speed test around 900 on Ethernet

I'm assuming without IPS enabled since the hardware of the USG simply doesn't support gigabit with IPS enabled. Actually it doesn't quite support gigabit with just DPI enabled although the speed hit from that would be negligible.

https://img.community.ui.com/149524f8-9dc3-45ce-843d-b2792fae2147/questions/85d0401c-1be7-444b-ba71-995e2ced7b8f/5a82e04d-7f9d-495e-acd9-8e1ef70f28ab

But is it really a SECURITY gateway without the security features enabled? The UXG will support gigabit speeds with all security features enabled. And the UDMP does. This is why I'd never consider a USG at this stage. It was the top in its day, but its day has passed.

Yeah that was probably my wide open test. I purchased a year or two ago. That being said I have yet to run into a bandwidth issue at the house. We maybe have 2 or 3 streams at the same time.

Sure, 250mbps max throughput should be fine for what most people will do. But personally, if I'm paying for gigabit, I'm not going to put a piece of equipment that throttles me down to 25% of my maximum capabilities if I enable any of the features that piece of equipment is designed to do. I'm either wasting money every month on the extra 750mbps I'm leaving on the table, or paying money to have a shiny piece of security equipment on my rack with the security features off so I can use my full gigabit. Either way it's wasting money.

When the USG pro 4 launched somewhere around 10yrs ago (EDIT: ok maybe 5 lol), gigabit wasn't common. 10 years from now, I suspect the UDMP's max of 3500mbps will also be outdated and slow. EDIT 2. Apparently it's already outdated and slow. Just reading an ISP in Japan offers 10gbps internet for $55/month including a Wifi6 router. :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

Any idea what this UXG will cost?

List price in their early access store is $500, but not currently in stock.

Ouch. That's a bit more than I think a home router is worth. I think I'll be looking elsewhere. As I continued searching online, I found many people saying Unifi routers are missing many key features you'd expect at this price point since they built a new OS and are still catching up with the old OS.

I didn't realize a Ubiquiti was going to cost so much. Once we pass the $500 mark, it's time to start looking at things like Cisco.

Thanks for all the advice!

This was kind of the point I was making before. With all the features turned on the bandwidths may be limited. But I haven’t had any bandwidth issues. Spending a few hundred dollars more will allow me access to that bandwidth that I am never/rarely going to use isn’t a good ROI for me.

I have a gig fiber connection that actually cost less than a 50/20Mbit connection from the next provider.

In the end I just want the best bang/$

Eh, my home router was about $500. But I needed 6 NICs total (2 WAN, 4 LAN) for my Untangle install, which automatically puts it in a different price point.

My point is that depending on needs, $500 isn't that crazy any more for home use.

Perhaps, if you have the kind of money to spend on a router. I don't. I'll stick with my $60 router that I don't really like, but works leaves me with $440 in my bank account.

3 Likes

When I rebuilt my whole network I think I spent about 500. AP switches and router

$500 if it included the access points wouldn't be too bad. For just the router it seems excessive.

I hear ya... No argument.

I made this complex home network... I did it to myself, so I shouldn't complain.

4 Likes