Ubiquiti router recommendation

I migrated from a USG to a UXG-Pro recently. Took a few hours to figure out, but not terrible. My problem was that my controller is on a different subnet than the router. I had to move my controller over to the default subnet (192.168.1.0/24) and then it worked without issue. The UDM has the controller built in, so you’ll mostly have to worry about transferring all your settings to the new controller.

1 Like

@Navat604:
Thanks for the idea about checking the internet status. Found just the thing in the API so now I have the current health of the wlan, wan, www, lan, and vpn in my device.

1 Like

Have you shared your progress yet? I would love to test it for you.

I have not made a thread yet... But it seems pretty stable so I might post one tomorrow. Thanks for asking, it is a good reminder.

1 Like

Just a heads up for UDM users... I recently upgraded my UDM base (i.e. non-pro model) from 1.7.2 to 1.8.3. I was running for a week or two and today we noticed a few issues. I lost the ability for iOS devices to connect to my Homebridge server, and Airprint stopped behaving correctly for our Brother laser printer.

I eventually downgraded to 1.7.2 on the UDM, and restored the appropriate Controller backup. Afterwards, both the Homebridge and Airprint problems were immediately resolved.

I cannot say definitively if the problem is caused by 1.8.3, or if I tweaked some settings in 1.8.3 that caused the issues. I did verify that mDNS was still enabled, and that nothing was set to block multicast traffic between the WiFi network and the LAN.

If anyone is running 1.8.3 on a UDM base or UDM pro, and Homebridge is still working properly, I'd be interested to know this.

2 Likes

Here is the thread to my UDMP driver:
https://community.hubitat.com/t/project-driver-for-unifi-dream-machine-pro/

2 Likes

Great addition to the community, @snell. :slight_smile: Very nice of you to make this available.

1 Like

UDMP migration was successful over the weekend, only issue is that I can’t get the sfp+ port to work between my usw-24-Poe and the UDMP. Forcing the port to 1gbps gets me a link light on the switch, but the udmp refuses.

Otherwise was smooth sailing, ended up building everything from scratch.

2 Likes

a few months ago in this thread, i pondered whether to buy a uxg pro to replace my older usg 3p. i did want one since i already had a ck2+. unfortunately, the decision was made for me about an hour ago when my ck2+ unexpectedly died. i did not want to shell out $ for both uxg pro and a replacement ck2+ so i went with the udmp which should arrive in a couple of days.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear about the Cloud Key failure. I do hope you'll enjoy the UDMpro. I have been very pleased with my UDMbase thus far.

1 Like

What’s the cost on the UGXPro vs UDM Pro? For home use, I have 2 QNAP NAS that I’d like to add 10g network cards too and hook up, I’d need a 24 port POE switch plus a 16gb network switch non POE. Would like to replace my ring doorbell and deploy WIFI 6 with one of their long range APs. I have a 1300sq ft ranch home with a partially exposed basement. A single ASUS router meets all my WiFi needs currently but it’s aging and is not WIFI 6. What would one recommend for relaxing my setup? All my POE needs currently are for a few cameras and a bunch of Aeotec MultiSensor 6s.

I use Ubiquiti's Amplifi line. I have two Amplifi HD's with multiple mesh points each. One base unit for each side of the house. The base unit on one side of the house is hardwired back to the main Amplifi that attaches to my cable modem. The meshpoints fill in the gaps. I have fluent coverage everywhere. The units have been solid. One feature that I really like is the "teleport" feature on the iOS app that creates an easy to use VPN back to the main router and puts you on the local network no matter where you are. One downside is that the IP scheme limits the number of IP devices to 255 since it only allows a fixed IP scheme with the first 3 octets being hard coded. I would have preferred multiple subnets in my scheme for management purposes and to expand the number of IP devices. I am pushing that limit. I use the Unifi line here at the office and it does okay but I am not thrilled with the Unifi management platform's interface or ease of use.

after 24 hours, it is driving me insane. I can't get it connected to the ISP modem. I can get it connected through my old USG3P connected to the ISP modem.

Standard cable modem? Or something else that requires authentication?

standard

Did you remember to unplug the cable modem and reboot it, after moving the Patch Cable from the USG WAN port to the UDMpro WAN port? Most cable modems have an affinity for a MAC address that can only be cleared by rebooting the cable modem.

1 Like

all the above and more. switched out cables, let the modem stay off for an hour. went through every firmware update... one at a time.when I power off both modem and udmp, I get activity on the port but udmp reports on screen it can not obtain an IP address. plug in the usg and it connects immediately as well as an old airport time capsule. spoke with ISP for an hour and they suggest contacting unifi, which I will try tomorrow.

a new network firmware was released late afternoon so will test it also.

Have you reset the UDMP as well, assuming there is a reset option?

reset modem, unplugged everything, reset udmp 15 times I believe.

Are you a bad person who deserves this? Maybe you're the problem.

:wink:

Sounds like a trip to the Ubiquiti forums is needed...

1 Like