Two wifi routers - possible?

Most ISP modems/ONT only have one port so you'd probably need a ethernet splitter or a small hub but it can be done. Routers would have to either have the ISP serve the DHCP or ensure that their individual DHCP ranges didn't overlap.

If you want to create another AP, you can set ssid's to the same as your main router and connect them via the switch ports which would allow you to maintain a flat network. (in other words do not use the wan port on the second router). If both units have a minimum db setting that would be ideal. You likely would be better off with something like a Unifi U6 AP that you could break things up a bit while still maintaining the same flat network,

Back in the old days I used an old "router" in bridge mode wired into a switch as another "access point" to the network. The main router still does all the DHCP/DNS/NAT/etc.

That said...I think you have other issues going on...that's really not that many clients.

4 Likes

I agree.

3 Likes

Maybe not from a numbers point of view, but 10 wifi cameras could be problematic depending on the quality settings and what band they're connecting to. If you get another AP, consider using that solely for your cameras.

2 Likes

Are all 10+ WiFi cameras constantly streaming and/or recording?

2 Likes

Good call, I was making the assumption that they were constantly streaming to an NVR of some sort.

2 Likes

Really think you should start with this issue or rather really confirm this is your issue before you investigate adding more network equipment.

What troubleshooting have you done so far to confirm your hub is falling off your Wi-Fi network consistently.

How can your C4 drop off when it's plugged in? You mean the connection is lost? Set a static IP for the C4 on your router

1 Like

As a few others have said that isn't many devices for a router. Now if they were all wifi devices some older cheap routers could potentially have issues. In most cases the issue with clients on a router would be based on the number of wifi devices and overhead related to wifi connectivity.

Wired clients really dont cause problems or cause you to hit any kind of limit other then maybe your subnet size.

As requested nowing what you did to determine it is a router issue may help.

Most likely what is happening is what @Rxich kind of pointed to. You need a DHCP reservation to ensure the IP your C4 gets is saved for it.

But he has 10 wifi cams on a 50mb connection….

As noted above...

That could be the problem.

But would that prevent loading the hub webpage on the LAN? All my 4k cameras, 8 of them, exist with a fast ethernet connection(100mbps). The NVR doesn't even support gigabit on its LAN

It is really doubtful the cameras are having any impact. Even if they are uploading constantly, they wouldn't cause the C4 hub to loose it's wired connection to the network. Since it is wired that is between the device, the wire, and the device it is plugged into (the router).

Most likely the problem for the C4 is one of a few things.

1. A bad ethernet cable between the hub and the router
  2. A DHCP ip address changing for some reason so the hub is not accessible for some reason.
  3. The Ethernet port on the C4 or the router is starting to have issues making a good connection.

I would set a DHCP reservation on the router. Then replace the ethernet cable which maybe changing ports on the router if possible.

I would really like to know what was done to determine that the router is the issue though.

1 Like

To actually address the point of this thread though. That router supports Asus's AIMesh. You should probably get a supporting device and set that up. You really don't want to run 2 routers, or atleast not run as routers. What you want is one device to be the router and the other to be in AP mode if that is what you need because of wifi limitations if you found some.

Also to discuss the impact of a ISP on multiple IP's at home. Most of the time will not allow you to pull more then one from your modem. This is because the ISP's have limited IP Addresses as well. So you need your edge device(Router) to be the only one you have.

I actually have two NIB Asus RP-AC1900 AiMesh Extenders. Bought these some time ago when I was more with it electrically speaking.

So if I open one of these and get it connected is that going to split up some of my Wi-Fi devices and perhaps improve my situation?

I apologize to all who have replied with very interesting suggestions. With the holidays I have not had the opportunity to digest everything suggested. I'm old and slow these days so please forgive me.

I'm still chewing over all the messages as time permits.

Happy New Year to all you folks. This is certainly the best group for HA enthusiasts.

John - SW Missouri :grinning: :sparkles:

2 Likes

I used AI mesh a couple years back and my impression was that my phone (Note4) wasn't great at roaming from AP to AP. Granted we have newer devices so maybe its improved. The roaming with my Orbi system(3 APs) is very good, almost seamless but the idiots at Netgear REMOVED the ability to segregate 2.4 & 5g networks, not good for HA devices, I'm stuck with 1 broadcast name and it's a PITA to connect new WiFi devices

I’m not sure if it’s clear to everyone reading this thread what the situation is, exactly.

If the primary issue you’re facing is that one (or more) of your Hubitat hubs won’t stay connected to your asus router when they’re all physically connected via Ethernet, then no, adding WiFi mesh access points probably won’t help with that.

This is maybe worth a read:

Full solution further down the page:

1 Like